Belmond Hibernian - Luxury Touring Train

Rate this topic

It will be interesting to see what actually happens in the end.

At €18,000 for a six night trip with a couple sharing, thats about €1500 per person per day. I wish them success in such niche market. A grand suite on a luxury cruise ship might cost about 65% less for twelve nights.

At €18,000 for a six night trip with a couple sharing, thats about €1500 per person per day. I wish them success in such niche market. A grand suite on a luxury cruise ship might cost about 65% less for twelve nights.

You obviously have not heard of the term 'Wealthy American Tourists'. At least on a train you get constant scenery and not sea and sky for half the journey. This train will sell out

Hmmm... All quite interesting indeed. To pick up on JHB's post from last year, I'm curious to know how the overnight accomodation thing will work? With IE's recent track rationalization (I'm using a polite word there!) of Waterford for example, is there enough sidings on the network to facilitate this? Will you have 201s idling away all night with Genny van going full pelt? The noise brigade in cities won't like that. Access and security will also be an issue. Think of anywhere that you see graffiti beside the lines...

Anyways, any new traffic on the network can only be positive. Does it pave the way for a private freight operator down the road, who knows?!

Where are they planning on storing this train when not in use? Not exactly too many secure locations on the network these days.

Inchicore i would presume, their main base is Heuston so itd make sense.

Still wonder why they're not including Waterford or Kilkenny in their tours surely the lure of waterford crystal would raise an eye brow or two among the elite customers they are trying to get to go on these tours

Where are they planning on storing this train when not in use? Not exactly too many secure locations on the network these days.

A driver based in Heuston has mentioned the carriage shed there.

The train won't use all 11 coaches, some will be kept as spares. Only one EGV is a bit of a schoolboy error though.

A driver based in Heuston has mentioned the carriage shed there.

The train won't use all 11 coaches, some will be kept as spares. Only one EGV is a bit of a schoolboy error though.

Agreed. Can they use HEP in an emergency?

Still wonder why they're not including Waterford or Kilkenny in their tours surely the lure of waterford crystal would raise an eye brow or two among the elite customers they are trying to get to go on these tours

Is any produced at Waterford anymore. I thought that after it went into receivership that most of the crystal is now made in Germany, Slovenia, Czech Rep etc. What happened to the original factory . It wasn't sold?

Edited by DiveController

The original factory has been sold and subsequently demolished, crystal is still manufactured in the new visitors centre in the city centre plus theres several ex crystal workers that own workshops in town and are producing to the same quality as what was made in Waterford crystal in its hey day. Most waterford crystal that is produced now isn t made in Waterford but in eastern europe.

Tut tut. They took on a load of youngfla's (apprentices). You should watch Nationwide more often..

Not that easy in the middle of my workday, Richie. You've a better chance of watching Jimmy Kimmel live. I knew Waterford was gone at least in its original form, Tom. It's damn expensive to buy over here (we're all wealthy Yanks from the Belmond thread:rolleyes:) Very few iconic Irish companies left. I guess the Budweiser Clydesdales will be on Guiness next:((

Edited by DiveController

Very true Kevin, the original waterford made stuff is even more expensive thankfully mrs r & i got a load of it as presents over the years :) (must cash in & spend the proceeds wisely in other collectables:trains: ) . Often laugh when i see people buying siucra,jacobs etc which used to be irish companies but aren t now. They could also come to Waterford to see the grave of Henry Denny the father of the Denny sausage and look at the semi mothballed line to Belview & South Wexford which runs within meters of the grave!!! ;)

Edited by Riversuir226