Connolly in 18x10 build

Rate this topic

Hi Lads

I have decided to change my layout completely,I have made this decision because I have a new space in which to build the layout ,I think this is a great idea so I have decided to go with it!

The layout is 18x10

This is the plan for the layout and I hope to have it finished within 2 years

image.jpg

Let me know what ye think

Hi Lads

I have decided to change my layout completely,I have made this decision because I have a new space in which to build the layout ,I think this is a great idea so I have decided to go with it!

The layout is 18x10

Very nice plan. You'll have some extra wiring for the reversing loops. The large Connolly station is going to look great in the middle of the layout. You could save a little floor space by doing away with the northern turntable, or by reducing its diameter. Love the terminus which looks like it will easily handle 7 coach rakes. What era are you aiming for?

Very nice plan. You'll have some extra wiring for the reversing loops. The large Connolly station is going to look great in the middle of the layout. You could save a little floor space by doing away with the northern turntable, or by reducing its diameter. Love the terminus which looks like it will easily handle 7 coach rakes. What era are you aiming for?

Hi Noel

ya the terminus can hold a maximum of 10 coaches in platform 4 , with around 8 in platforms 2 and 3 and 5 or 6 in platform 1

the era i am going for is mainly a present scene!! but its 2006-present !!!

Hi Lads

The layout is 18x10

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23480[/ATTACH]

I really like this! Great use of space

Just a comment, the gradient transitioning from top level to bottom level occurs over what looks like 2'6", if thats correct and I apologise if Im missing something here, thats way to steep a gradient to be practical. IN reality 1:50 is about what can be handled by reasonable train lengths in model terms. With 75mm clearance , that 3.75 meters or the best part of 10 feet. Its even worse if you have curves on the gradient. its doable in 8 feet with transition curves and diesel only stock

Just a comment, the gradient transitioning from top level to bottom level occurs over what looks like 2'6", if thats correct and I apologise if Im missing something here, thats way to steep a gradient to be practical. IN reality 1:50 is about what can be handled by reasonable train lengths in model terms. With 75mm clearance , that 3.75 meters or the best part of 10 feet. Its even worse if you have curves on the gradient. its doable in 8 feet with transition curves and diesel only stock

the gradient starts at west rd junction which is at the top left and it drops to the next level which is 6 inches below the top level,it takes 9ft to get to the bottom which i think is enough ,although a gradient of 1:50 is ideal but i think this should work. i have never had a layout with a gradient before so any advice on the gradients is more than welcome

I am surprised that no one commented that there is no direct provision for reversing or turning a North or West bound train to return to the terminus.

Heuston Connolly.jpg

A second return loop in the Sherriff St-Seville place area would overcome this problem and allow trains to work out and back to Connolly without the need to shunt or handle the trains.

I would probably be best to forget about freight and concentrate on the passenger side of the operation which is very busy by Irish standards. There may be room to include some hidden staging for passenger trains around the reverse loop

Edited by Mayner

I agree with John. A reverse loop will make a big difference to operation. As folk will realise, I am more of a scenics man, but those who help with Arigna Town often comment how much operation can be had from a loop, two sidings and a turntable.

No surprise then that I think the design falls into the 'fill a big space with as much track as possible' trap. There are some pretty ugly curves there, first radius presumably? Nine feet to climb six inches is 1 in 18, which sounds like trouble.

My other thoughts revolve around previous experience. Much better to start with a small project and get quick success than dive into something huge. The cost of the plan will be substantial in terms of track and wiring alone. Then there is operation. Is this to be a solo project or involve a group. If the latter, then fine as it appears to need a fair few operators to reach its potential. If a solo project, then it will be hard to make the most of a big station when one person can only run one train at a time. Some sort of automatic control essential methinks.

My advise would be to make the most of the big terminal by building in some decent storage siding space and including that reverse loop. Any other space leave as plain track, for there is much pleasure to be had watching long trains run by on an unencumbered mainline. More manageable for the solo operator but expandable when friends join in too.

Hi Lads

a number of people have no suggested that i should have connolly(the center piece) and the rest just as double track all round

I think that is what I will do now ,then maybe in the future when the layout is finished i might build a freight yard ,but lets forget about that for now

i thought about a reversing loop at the start,but then i remembered lets say a Dietrich ,that when that would make it back to the terminus that it would be turned the wrong way ,and to be honest i dont want the loco in first and the terminus ,That would look quite odd ,just especially with a pushpull set

although that reversing loop would be great for all other stock i suppose

i have altered the plan so now its just the center piece(station) an the rest is just a shelf of double track ,and i have changes the gradient to 1:40 by starting the drop 10ft back and dropping it 3 inches

so now all the focus will be on connolly station and yard the rest is just double track...and maybe that reversing loop,not sure about it yet as some stock cant use it

I will post thealtered plan soon!!!!!

Well I though this was something I could look at in my shed at some stage although I would like something like Swanage as my middlepart as a seaside Terminus and keeping the point etc down to a min due to cost. I was thinking of Starting the middle first as a removable exhibition piece and seeing how I get on from there.

The other issue I would have is the gradient especially as I have a lot of Steam suff which wont go up the slightest gradient unless banked or double headed.

Hope you start something on this as it does look fab.

Well I though this was something I could look at in my shed at some stage although I would like something like Swanage as my middlepart as a seaside Terminus and keeping the point etc down to a min due to cost. I was thinking of Starting the middle first as a removable exhibition piece and seeing how I get on from there.

The other issue I would have is the gradient especially as I have a lot of Steam suff which wont go up the slightest gradient unless banked or double headed.

Hope you start something on this as it does look fab.

Thanks George, this is exactly what I was thinking, a removable middle section which is the main part of the layout, then just have double track for the rest, I went a bit mad with the amount of track I used on the outer loops, but I have changed that yo double track, you could do something similar with your layout

• 1 month later...

Hi lads

not much progress on the layout so far as i want to finish some of the buildings first!!!!

thought I'd post this though ,i think its a great model ,john at silverfoxmodels agreed to do it for me

the only thing not authentic about it is the windows at one end which were plated over during the refurbishment ,but to be honest i dont really mind!!DSC_0476.jpg

DSC_0472 (1).jpg

DSC_0475.jpg