Dutch Van

Rate this topic

Dhu Varren

Some time ago, I decided to build a Dutch Van to go with my rake of RPSI Mk 2 coaches.

A couple of years ago, at an exhibition, I picked up an old Triang Track Cleaning wagon, with no roof and a broken bogie, for £1.00. Later in the year at another exhibition, I picked up an old Triang Transcontinental Reefer Boxcar with a broken roof also for £1.00. The bogies were used to repair the track cleaning wagon, and the roof, after repair and adjustment, was also used on the track cleaner.

That left a perfectly good Reefer body in my junk box. After checking the dimensions, it was found to be 1mm longer than a Dutch Van would be, but the width was fine. A bit of work with a fine saw and a file, saw the height reduced and the raised detail on the sides and ends removed, leaving a very useable shell for a Dutch Van.

DSC 1867.jpg

This van was to be one of the original steam generator type, one of which is now running with the RPSI as No 462.

A new roof was fabricated, using two Triang Hornby LWB goods brake van roofs to get the basic arc for the roof, plastic strip makes up the extra width. Ribbing was added using plastic rod flattened on one side, and roof detail made from plasticard, and bits of scrap plastic.

This is a picture of the roof of an EGV Dutch Van under construction using the two Triang roofs.

DSC01755.jpg

Windows and doors were either cut out, or scribed where appropriate, and handrails and other detail added.

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

The van is currently sitting on Jouef MK3 coach bogies, which surprisingly don’t look too much out of place, but these will ultimately be replaced with something more suitable at a later date.

After priming with grey primer from Halfords, which would normally reveal any imperfections in the construction of the vehicle, I am glad to say the primer revealed nothing worth talking about.

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

The next step was to finish it off in RPSI livery, glaze it and finish the underframe.

Almost completed. Just glazing and underframe detail to do.

IMG_2023 (1000x421).jpg

IMG_2024 (1000x434).jpg

I have to say, I am really pleased the way it has turned out, even down to only having the lining on one side, as the prototype had at one time.

From refrigerator van to heating van:-

• Like 5

Fair enough, Dhu Varren, thanks - I wasn't aware that Railtec did them. Excellent job of your own with the lining.

That lining was deliberately designed to "look" UTA like, without actually being UTA, as the carriages were never UTA carriages.

For the record, and for those who (like me) can't function nowadays without glasses, UTA was straw coloured, lined each side in red, while RPSI is yellow with a separate red line on one side.

Fantastic job on the gen van, it looks perfect next to the RPSI mk2's.

Can I ask what paint you used for the conversion or was it one you mixed yourself?

The Mk2s are repaints as well, using the same paint, which is a 50/50 mix of Humbrol 3 and 195. After the decals were applied, a coat of Railmatch satin varnish was sprayed on.

• 1 year later...

After three years of being on and off the back burner, the EGV is finally complete. The long delay has been mainly due to lack of roof detail, and being overtaken by other projects, but eventually sufficient information was obtained for the build to proceed.

The pictures show the completed van, firstly in bare plastic, then in Halfords grey primer, and finally fully finished and painted.

The van is entirely made from plastic sheet, rod and strip. The only commercial parts used, were the two Hornby brake van roofs used to form the basic roof profile, the gangways are by Jouef, and the buffers are by MJT. As with the earlier RPSI van, the EGV is running on Jouef Mk 3 bogies, until such time as something more suitable comes along.

The final two pictures are of a couple of Hornby Mk 2s reliveried, to go with the EGV. As per the prototype vehicles, the InterCity logo is located in different positions on the coach sides.

IMG_2757a.jpg

IMG_2758a.jpg

IMG_2786a.jpg

IMG_2787a.jpg

IMG_2829a.jpg

IMG_2830a.jpg

IMG_2831a.jpg

IMG_2832a.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

Cometh the moment, Cometh the man, & Dhu Varren sir you have surpassed the word masterclass, that's modelling & respraying on another plane, your skill shows no bounds. I have just one very simple question, the paint is it enamel or Acrylic, & I'll confess I have nooooo knowledge whatsoever about Acrylics, TIA

BTB

Cometh the moment, Cometh the man, & Dhu Varren sir you have surpassed the word masterclass, that's modelling & respraying on another plane, your skill shows no bounds. I have just one very simple question, the paint is it enamel or Acrylic, & I'll confess I have nooooo knowledge whatsoever about Acrylics, TIA

BTB

BTB, The paint used is Revell enamel, a mix of 30 Orange gloss and 85 Brown matt. This was matched to the colour on my MM Tippex liveried Cravens coaches, and gives a lovely semi gloss finish which takes masking tape well. The black is also enamel by Revell, but is satin finish straight out of the tin. The whole thing is finished off with Railmatch satin varnish which gives everything, including brush touch ups and decals, the same consistent finish.

Due to the problems, and cost, of getting paints by post these days, I prefer to get paint such as Humbrol and Revell locally, as it is quite readily available, and mix it to the required colour.

• 7 months later...
On 03/04/2016 at 10:26 AM, Dhu Varren said:

Some time ago, I decided to build a Dutch Van to go with my rake of RPSI Mk 2 coaches.

A couple of years ago, at an exhibition, I picked up an old Triang Track Cleaning wagon, with no roof and a broken bogie, for £1.00. Later in the year at another exhibition, I picked up an old Triang Transcontinental Reefer Boxcar with a broken roof also for £1.00. The bogies were used to repair the track cleaning wagon, and the roof, after repair and adjustment, was also used on the track cleaner.

That left a perfectly good Reefer body in my junk box. After checking the dimensions, it was found to be 1mm longer than a Dutch Van would be, but the width was fine. A bit of work with a fine saw and a file, saw the height reduced and the raised detail on the sides and ends removed, leaving a very useable shell for a Dutch Van.

DSC 1867.jpg

This van was to be one of the original steam generator type, one of which is now running with the RPSI as No 462.

A new roof was fabricated, using two Triang Hornby LWB goods brake van roofs to get the basic arc for the roof, plastic strip makes up the extra width. Ribbing was added using plastic rod flattened on one side, and roof detail made from plasticard, and bits of scrap plastic.

This is a picture of the roof of an EGV Dutch Van under construction using the two Triang roofs.

DSC01755.jpg

Windows and doors were either cut out, or scribed where appropriate, and handrails and other detail added.

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

The van is currently sitting on Jouef MK3 coach bogies, which surprisingly don’t look too much out of place, but these will ultimately be replaced with something more suitable at a later date.

After priming with grey primer from Halfords, which would normally reveal any imperfections in the construction of the vehicle, I am glad to say the primer revealed nothing worth talking about.

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

The next step was to finish it off in RPSI livery, glaze it and finish the underframe.

IMG_2023 (1000x421).jpg

IMG_2024 (1000x434).jpg

I have to say, I am really pleased the way it has turned out, even down to only having the lining on one side, as the prototype had at one time.

That is nothing short of OUTSTANDING!! Superb work! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

Great work on the gen van currently I'm trying to convert a Silver Fox Dutch Van to an EGV do you have the dimensions of the added headstock's .

I don't have any actual dimensions for the added headstocks. It was simply a case of taking measurements from photographs, and adjusting the ends of the model until they looked right. 

If it is any help, I have made my extensions 5.5mm each end. 

Edited by Dhu Varren
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dhu Varren said:

I don't have any actual dimensions for the added headstocks. It was simply a case of taking measurements from photographs, and adjusting the ends of the model until they looked right. 

If it is any help, I have made my extensions 5.5mm each end. 

Your dimensions look spot on that's why I asked you must have a very keen eye , some models I have seen they look a little too high many thanks for your help I will work with 5.5mm.

I am also at this stage with mine but stalled on side grills - today contacted John Fowler of A1 models who back in the distant past did a set of Mk3 gen grills...  hoping he can find some or art work - I asked for two sets if he can find them.

Looking at my effort I think I have the angled slow to long and need revisit so the 5.5mm is also useful to my version.

Robert  

• 3 years later...
On 3/4/2016 at 10:26 AM, Dhu Varren said:

DSC 1867.jpg

DSC01755.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01760.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

IMG_2023 (1000x421).jpg

IMG_2024 (1000x434).jpg

Any Idea What green did you use on this ?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a colour code for the roof of the rebuilt EGV's? On page 90 of Irish Railway Rambler the pic clearly shows that the roof is a fairly dark grey colour on 4602 at least.

I'm at that stage now. Eyeballing it I'm reasonably happy with Revell 69 granite grey which I have here by chance but in the unlikely event of anyone having a RAL code that code would be appreciated.