Rate this topic

The next chapter in my efforts to control trains thru the diamond crossing.

This is a photo of actual X crossing on the layout. The green loco is on the mainline which has priority, the red loco is on the commuter line, I want to cut power to this line when the mainline is coming thru. I’ve made up a test twin track board to…. well test it.

X crossing.JPG

This time I’m using reed switches to detect position of the train, switches are activated by magnet attached to the loco, see photo. And the control is via a “Latching” relay. Main improvements over last attempt is the simplicity of the system with reed switches as opposed to the light sensors, as discussed before. Also my “discovery” of the latching relay means once the train is detected it stays detected, until the next reed switch is activated. Photos and video below. I’ll give more detail and a circuit diagram over on the Electronics forum.

Circuit Board.JPG

Loco with magnet.JPG

Reed switch.JPG

And the video

• Like 2

thanks, been a bit of trial and error with magnets, got 8mm dia ones and they were too small, the one in the photo is 25mm and 3 mm thick and it fouls on the track with my 141's....d'oh 16 mm gauge.

I want to get one small enough, but strong enough as i may locate reed switches beside track not under it.

cheers

paddy mac

Interesting circuit. But what happens when the red loco reaches the crossing first and is on the crossing when the green loco activates the stop circuit? I think a 'first come, first served' circuit would be a better option.

What happens.....crash bang multiple casualties...O.o Its still very much a work in progress, and learning what sensors work best and easiest. So when i actually use it on the layout i'll probably have another reed switch on the junction, and if junction is occupied i'll cut power to mainline, will probably need to get into some Arduino work then, unless i can get away with just using some kind of logic circuit.....so more research to do

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paddy Mac Namara said:

thanks, been a bit of trial and error with magnets, got 8mm dia ones and they were too small, the one in the photo is 25mm and 3 mm thick and it fouls on the track with my 141's....d'oh 16 mm gauge.

I want to get one small enough, but strong enough as i may locate reed switches beside track not under it.

cheers

paddy mac

HE do OO and N gauge reed switches and magnets. I have used the N gauge versions on my Cynwyd and Llanuwchllyn layouts controlling automated operation.

On 4/3/2018 at 5:43 PM, Paddy Mac Namara said:

The next chapter in my efforts to control trains thru the diamond crossing.

This is a photo of actual X crossing on the layout. The green loco is on the mainline which has priority, the red loco is on the commuter line, I want to cut power to this line when the mainline is coming thru. I’ve made up a test twin track board to…. well test it.

X crossing.JPG

This time I’m using reed switches to detect position of the train, switches are activated by magnet attached to the loco, see photo. And the control is via a “Latching” relay. Main improvements over last attempt is the simplicity of the system with reed switches as opposed to the light sensors, as discussed before. Also my “discovery” of the latching relay means once the train is detected it stays detected, until the next reed switch is activated. Photos and video below. I’ll give more detail and a circuit diagram over on the Electronics forum.

Circuit Board.JPG

Loco with magnet.JPG

Reed switch.JPG

And the video

Love it . 

• WOW! 1