Hornby /donor carriages

Rate this question

Mike 84C

Question

7 answers to this question

Modelling Irish Railways suggests the Hornby Caledonian carriages as being suitable for conversion into GSWR style carriages. Browsing through my books does not really suggest a suitable victim! Any suggestions guys?

Hi Mike. I don't think so. But you have brought back memories of my first ever CIE black and tan coach hand painted from what I think was an old Triang Hornby 'Caledonian' coach. It used to be LMS maroon with yellow/bronze lining around the windows.

My first ever hand repaint many moons ago when I was about 14 or 15.

TriangHornby_My1stCIEcoach.jpg

This was my first Irish livery coach before the Lima Mk1 CIEs came on the market in the 1970s. You have jogged my memory of trying multiple mixes of humbrol paints to get some sort of 1960s CIE tan colour.

Cheers

Noel

PS: As you can see these were basically mk1s which different sides added as were most Triang Hornby models back then.

The old Triang-Hornby clerestory coaches would be useful donor vehicle http://www.gwr.org.uk/protriang.html for older GSWR, WLWR & West Cork non-corridor stock of the 1890s. The biggest job would be replacing the clerestory with a simple arch roof with gas light fittings, the WLWR coaches had tucked in ends like the GWR coaches, the GSWR & CBSCR had plain ends.

The newer Hornby clerestory coaches in GWR livery might pass for GSWR Rosslare stock in GSR days, not sure if anyone does a suitable 6 wheel bogie.

The main drawback is the printed panel beading which makes it difficult to re-produce for early of late GSR era or CIE green. http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/gwr-clerestory-third-class-coach.html

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I did wonder if one of the MGW bogie coaches would be a candidate or maybe make it shorter as I seem to remember a coach in JHB's folios could fit the bill.

Noel, thats the very model! StevieB is right, it looks rather good in B&T.

Mayner,I did not think about the older Hornby clerestory because of the turned under end.

. . .

Noel, thats the very model! StevieB is right, it looks rather good in B&T.

. . .

Your welcome. Yes it never existed but I like having it on our layout. It's a connection with my childhood and my 1st CIE looking anything. :)

It actually looks vaguely GSWR design, especially if it was shortened to scale 50ft.

The tan shade is just right too.

Like you, I painted full BR brakes as genny vans (and built two cardboard tin vans which didn't look too bad), back in teenage days. Really, the only option then was repainting Tri-ang Mk 1s.

I did a scratch build cardboard brake laminate, which was VERY crude, but it is still operating after some 40 years on Nephew's layout.

On various posts here people have reminded us of the horrors of the past in the form of French and British locomotives turned out in limited runs in a garish orange as an "Irish" train.

Thanks to the likes of Murphy's, Leslie McA, the various kit manufacturers like Mayner etc., and others here we are very well served now.

. . .

I did a scratch build cardboard brake laminate, which was VERY crude, but it is still operating after some 40 years on Nephew's layout.

. . .

You've just reminded me of a very very crude cardboard 141 body I fabricated on top of a Triang-Hornby E3001 chassis in the early 70s (i.e. from R644A train set). But it got damp in the attic, went soggie and warped out of shape.