Lineside buildings about 1985

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

First, Westport shed from a less usual angle. And yes, I was the photographer, and I had no hard hat or shoes or day glow jacket....... I'm alive! Hey! Life is good.

The other is not noted by me. Memory suggests either Westport, Claremorris or Sligo. Probably Westport. TTC might be able to confirm?

I add these in the hope that they'll be of help to modellers of that era.

Yes, I know they're probably going to be upside down....

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks like something for removing winkles from locomotive exhaust pipes, spying on people who are standing upside down, or squirting coloured dye in inappropriate places, with intent to cause alarm. The "no-parking" sign refers to 071s. As we can see there are none in the picture.

(Should I go home now?) ;-)

No 2 is the loco fuel point in Westport. Now demolished. It was serviced by a weekly oil car sent down from Claremorris. In latter years at least, it was only the loco of the evening train that was fuelled, before being parked for the night.

The long hose is for refuelling 201's. You could lock it onto the fuel tank, turn on the pump and it would knock off when it reached capacity. The tank was out of use due to a leak before the end of the Mk 3's so the loco was fuelled by road tanker over the fence at the end of the platform.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23816[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23817[/ATTACH]

I'm running out of things to say..

Visited Westport with an IRRS group in June 83 the visit was by service train with a bus transfer to Sligo with a visit to Ballina, I was lucky enough to get a cab ride on a 001 from Collonney to Ballymote on the evening Sligo-Dublin passenger, we were later blocked at Mullingar & Hill of Down by a 14 coach Knock special hauled by a pair of 141s

Westport shed was still in use with a 001 Class possibly stabled off a bagged cement special a single 22'6" flat with a pair of Uniload containers was parked on the stub of the quay line just past the fueling point. Before Railplan 80 the goods yard had a single long siding serving the goods shed, with the stub of the Achill line retained to serve a small container gantry

scan0187.jpg

scan0188.jpg

scan0189.jpg

Seem to remember reading that a loco on Westport turntable could foul the running line while being turned and hence the table was interlocked with the signal box to prevent collisions.

Arigna has a similar problem, especially the G2, but the 'one engine in steam' nature of the branch largely avoids this...

Seem to remember reading that a loco on Westport turntable could foul the running line while being turned and hence the table was interlocked with the signal box to prevent collisions.

Arigna has a similar problem, especially the G2, but the 'one engine in steam' nature of the branch largely avoids this...

The turntable at Athlone loco depot fouled the running line on the Mayo line and interlocked with the signalling system, the problem may have arisen when the table was extended to turn the Woolwich Moguls.

Athlone was a major depot in steam days Henry Fayle recorded 11 locos on shed at "new" loco depot and 4 locos at the old shed on a Wednesday afternoon in September 1937.

Funnily enough we have the same problem at Keadue with the table fouling the main line, the table is supposed to be protected by the home and starting signals at the Boyle end of the station, though we have been waiting 5 years for the S&E engineers from Sligo to connect them up.

really nice pictures

Its great to see pic from the pre-digital age, film was expensive

Ive just found around 200 pics of waterford station , particularly signalling , from my survey in 1982/83 . The are rather badly exposed , so I'm trying to work out how to scan them successfully