Lyons Tea Wagon Dimensions query

Rate this question

MikeO

Question

I would like to make an N gauge version of a Lyons Tea Wagon but I am having difficulty getting information on some of the dimensions. In the resources section of this forum there is some in information and two photographs but no size is given for the length and height. The width is stated as 8ft 6ins and the wagon seems to be on a 20ft flat wagon. In one of the photographs, showing a broadside view, the body of the wagon, or should that be container, does not seem to the same length as the wagon. It may be about 12ins to 18ins shorter at each end than the flat wagon. If that is the case it would be about 16ft or 17ft long. At the North Down Show at the weekend I was told that in terms of length it would be similar to a normal sized container and would fit on to a normal sized open wagon. Again suggesting a 16ft to 17ft length.

Would anyone know if the Lyons Tea Wagon was a wagon specifically built for Lyons or was it a standard container? In either case what is the height and length?

If anyone has an 00 scale versions could they measure it and let me know the size? I can then convert that to N scale dimensions.

I did come across a British version which is a standard sized container but is a totally different design to the one shown in this forum. was there a distinct Irish version?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike0

7 answers to this question

There's a photo somewhere, which is not mine, and maybe from the site, of the Lyons tea container on a flat wagon, possible 273XX series. The container seemed to be shorter than the wagon by about 18" each end and just sufficient6 to engage the cuplocks (if that's the correct terminology) on the flat. There is a 'broadside' and a 45 degree oblique shot. If I can find a copy and no-one has any objections to me posting it without credit. I will do so. If you can determine the length of the flat over the headstocks, you should be able to get scaled dimensions

Edited by DiveController

I would like to make an N gauge version of a Lyons Tea Wagon but I am having difficulty getting information on some of the dimensions. In the resources section of this forum there is some in information and two photographs but no size is given for the length and height. The width is stated as 8ft 6ins and the wagon seems to be on a 20ft flat wagon. In one of the photographs, showing a broadside view, the body of the wagon, or should that be container, does not seem to the same length as the wagon. It may be about 12ins to 18ins shorter at each end than the flat wagon. If that is the case it would be about 16ft or 17ft long. At the North Down Show at the weekend I was told that in terms of length it would be similar to a normal sized container and would fit on to a normal sized open wagon. Again suggesting a 16ft to 17ft length.

Would anyone know if the Lyons Tea Wagon was a wagon specifically built for Lyons or was it a standard container? In either case what is the height and length?

If anyone has an 00 scale versions could they measure it and let me know the size? I can then convert that to N scale dimensions.

I did come across a British version which is a standard sized container but is a totally different design to the one shown in this forum. was there a distinct Irish version?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike0

Irish Freight Models do a OO version. Perhaps if you asked them nicely they might share some of their research with you?

jhb171achill and DiveController, thanks for the input. Looks like it is a container not a specially commissioned wagon. The photographs on page 7 of the resources section of this forum maybe the ones you are thinking of DiveController. If so either the container is 20ft and the flat wagon is slightly more possibly 22ft or 23ft or the flat wagon is 20ft and the container 16ft or 17ft. If it does turn out to be a normal sized container, it will look a less impressive in N scale than it does in the photographs.

MikeO

Thanks DiveController. A 20ft container on a 22ft 6in flat wagon might be the answer. Irish Freight Models told me that they used a 20ft container on a Dapol chassis as there were no dimensions available. Their container and flat wagon are the same length. On the link you provided Mayner headed the thread as "22'6" container flat photos and drawings" and the same photographs in his thread are in the resources section. A 15" gap at each end would fit in with the photographs. I will run with a 20ft container on a 22ft 6ins flat wagon unless someone comes along with a more definitive answer.

Many thanks to all who replied.

MikeO