Cynwyd in N: based on closed station/goods yard on the Llangollen line; BR/GWR etc

Rate this topic

Worth going just to see that, irishrailwayman. Though I'm sure there will be other amazing stuff there too. The way technology is going, in a few years we'll be able to have the whole range of stuf that we can get in 00, only in N. And 3D printing will facilitate a lot of it.

Someone of my vintage will remember times not that long ago when it looked as if the writing was on the wall for model railways as a hobby, just like stamp and matchbox collecting has all but vanished. Modern technology has brought about a very welcome growing interest. Look at the numbers of people who read tis forum, even if they haven't got layouts.

In all reality, when I moved here all my old 00 stuff was sold. I retain a single MM 141, but it's in its box. I have a lot of 009 continental stuff awaiting a time when I can get it all put together again, but to be honest when I see some of the recent releases, I've been doodling to see if there's ANY way I could fit even a terminus / fiddle yard into a modern town house. Doing the lot in N gauge would change the goalposts completely and the 009 would be up for sale and swopped for Provincial N gauge "H" vans, N gauge MM 141s, and N gauge Cravens! Sorry, leslie, not trying to give you attacks of the Screaming Fits, Multiple Conniptions and Heeby Geebys....

I look forward to whatever appears on your layout in Irish outline! What's Irish for Cynwyd?

Edited by jhb171achill

Absolutely stunning

Thanks guys. Cynwyd is my 4th exhibition layout following Ballybeg (OO Irish), Llangollen (N GWR/BR) and Shunters Yard (OO GWR) - all featured on IRM.com with kind comments from many enthusiasts. I am planning to build a locomotive display "Diesel Depot" (OO CIE/IR/IE/BR blue) and an O-gauge shunter demo layout "Buffers Lock" (GWR) over the next few years. Onwards and upwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Congrats Gerry on winning the award. The detailing and subtle blending of the scenery on 'Cynwyd' was such a high standard, and photo realistic yet 'alive' in multiple micro scenes of human and animal life beside a working railway. Cynwyd is an inspiration to the rest of us and shows what is possible. It was an honour to see it in your home earlier this year.  Well done.

20 hours ago, Noel said:

Congrats Gerry on winning the award. The detailing and subtle blending of the scenery on 'Cynwyd' was such a high standard, and photo realistic yet 'alive' in multiple micro scenes of human and animal life beside a working railway. Cynwyd is an inspiration to the rest of us and shows what is possible. It was an honour to see it in your home earlier this year.  Well done.

Thanks very much Noel. I really enjoy sharing my work and happy to offer any help to others who want to have a go. Gerry

• 1 year later...