Mk2s

Rate this topic

dave182

Hey guys.

Just looking for a recap. I missed the boat with the Murphy Models Mk2 coaches so just wondering...

How many were produced/released?

Did they all sell out? Still see Cravens available in UK shops and on ebay, but no mk2's.

Quality was an issue- are members happy with their models? What fixes have been tried?

Finally, do they crop up for sale (new or second hand) at the model shows, collectors fairs?

Regards,

Dave

• 3 months later...

I got myself a weathered Mk2 EGV. I have a question about the buffers, on the EGV I have 1 of the buffers is in retracted position and the other 3 are all extended. I was trying to push the other 3 in and failing that, pulling the other out but they won't budge. I don't want to use too much force in case I snap them. Can replacement Mk2 buffers be picked up somewhere?

Not just stuck with a bit of paint from the weathering process?

I was thinking that. The ends are heavily weathered, you can just make out the running numbers. Don't think there is much I can do, just looks a little odd close up with the positions of the buffers. Have to get myself some proper modeling tools to make these tasks easier.

MJT do some whitemetal BR buffers in the retracted position. However Markits produce some brass BR buffers fully sprung and they are beautiful and well worth the money.

Rich,

Cheers Rich, I'll keep them in mind when all else fails here. The negative waves are starting to flow.

Hey guys.

Just looking for a recap. I missed the boat with the Murphy Models Mk2 coaches so just wondering...

How many were produced/released?

Did they all sell out? Still see Cravens available in UK shops and on ebay, but no mk2's.

Quality was an issue- are members happy with their models? What fixes have been tried?

Finally, do they crop up for sale (new or second hand) at the model shows, collectors fairs?

Regards,

Dave

Yeah, there was a fair amount of initial criticism on some aspects of the first batch of the Murphy's MKII's. However, I did read some of the initial critics (on some of the UK modelling forums) reel a bit back in and say they were perhaps a bit harsh initially. I think part of it with some people was, with Murphys products being of such high quality and getting used to that, then then even the smallest fault will be magnified and appear ten times worse, especially when you compared them with the fantastic Cravens! Thats not to dismiss everyones gripes though. I can only comment on what I read there.

I know some experienced a pull on the couplings when they went round a corner. It stretched out but when it went back onto the straight, the coupling didn't relax again and it just stayed spaced out, which made the gap between the carriages look a bit unreal, way too far and stretched out. They thought it was a something to do with the spring wire being too rigid when it was relaxing back in.

There is also the issue mentioned below about the buffers.

I think the next batch of them (the Murphys Models ones) were due to come out a time ago but they were put back.

They were then said to be due before just before this xmas but given the launch of the 071's etc, then after xmas is a definite and well into the new year, perhaps longer.

I know there maybe some here willing to part with one or two, or ex-Lima stock expertly re-conditioned, however if you are holding out for the next batch I would say there is a big chance that Paddy (Murphy) will have sorted out the issues regarding the couplings and the buffers, when and if, the next batch do come onto the market.

Yeah, there was a fair amount of initial criticism on some aspects of the first batch of the Murphy's MKII's. However, I did read some of the initial critics (on some of the UK modelling forums) reel a bit back in and say they were perhaps a bit harsh initially. I think part of it with some people was, with Murphys products being of such high quality and getting used to that, then then even the smallest fault will be magnified and appear ten times worse, especially when you compared them with the fantastic Cravens! Thats not to dismiss everyones gripes though. I can only comment on what I read there.

I know some experienced a pull on the couplings when they went round a corner. It stretched out but when it went back onto the straight, the coupling didn't relax again and it just stayed spaced out, which made the gap between the carriages look a bit unreal, way too far and stretched out. They thought it was a something to do with the spring wire being too rigid when it was relaxing back in.

There is also the issue mentioned below about the buffers.

I think the next batch of them (the Murphys Models ones) were due to come out a time ago but they were put back.

They were then said to be due before just before this xmas but given the launch of the 071's etc, then after xmas is a definite and well into the new year, perhaps longer.

I know there maybe some here willing to part with one or two, or ex-Lima stock expertly re-conditioned, however if you are holding out for the next batch I would say there is a big chance that Paddy (Murphy) will have sorted out the issues regarding the couplings and the buffers, when and if, the next batch do come onto the market.

The models are unfortunately dimensionally incorrect in some areas especially between the top of the windows and the rain gutter. The bogie's are over scale when compared to those on the Cravens or those produced by Replica Railways. There are also some issues with the Body sides bowing inwards in places. This is probably due to the fact that the roof is a separately fitted item, and the body suffers from the bowing, maybe from it being released from the mold.

Unfortunately there is really no fix for the dimensional errors on the coach. The bowing can be fixed by adding bulkheads to the model. It's all down to if can you live with it or can't you. I have some myself and I will get a few more standards to try and complete a rake. I hope a composite will be released as they were a very unique coach, and a super standard would be nice too. If as I have said you can live with some of the let downs of the model they do look good from certain angles. As for poor running coaches I would check the back to backs on the wheel sets and the springs for the close coupling units. Also don't run them on small radius curves.

HTH

Rich,

Well said another little mistake was on the EGV there was no door hinges on one side of the coach. But to be fair after making a few modifications I'm just glad to have them on my layout but not everyone is pleased or happy by them. As Paddy says you cant please everyone.

The close coupling thing affects so many coaches, not just the Murphys Mark IIs. Hornby's are a dreadful pain in particular, and in fact I've never seen any that worked properly until I saw the new Bachmann Blue Pullman units.

The close coupling thing affects so many coaches, not just the Murphys Mark IIs. Hornby's are a dreadful pain in particular, and in fact I've never seen any that worked properly until I saw the new Bachmann Blue Pullman units.

Wait till you run your class 67 Fran they are a disaster I took them of mine and threw them in the bin