Mayner

CIE/GSR 650 Class 2-4-0 MGWR Ks

DSCF8437.jpg

GSR/CIE 650 Class superheated round topped boiler Inchacore cab

DSCF8434.JPG

MGWR Ks/GSR 650 Class superheated round topped boiler round canopy cab, open coal rails tender as running 1916-Mid 1930s

I am accepting expressions of interest in this loco kit for release in mid-late 2017.

The design of the loco is at the final stages updates include (non working) inside valve gear and slotted valences for locos in CIE condition.

Jeremy Suter is preparing the patterns for the castings which are also suitable for the Midland Standard Goods & Achill Bogie. Jeremy once produced a small range of Irish wagon kits and prepared the patterns for the castings for the JM Design MGWR Vans.

The kit is designed for OO or 21mm gauge and can be assembled in late MGWR early GSR condition with canopy cab saturated or superheated round topped boilers or GSR/CIE condition with Inchacore cab and superheated boilers.

The 650 Class worked DSER suburban and main line services, in addition to MGWR branch and main line workings.

That looks stunning John. What will be the price? I think I'd be in the market for late CIE

The MGWR Ks-GSR/CIE 650 Class is a step nearer to introduction Jeremy has completed the pattern making and the wait was well worth it.

IMG_1864 (2).jpg

The patterns include parts for building the loco in MGWR or GSR/CIE condition.

Release date is likely to be (Northern) Autumn 2017, I need to locate a source of suitable motors now that Mashima have ceased production and revise some aspects of the design for customers that do not have a rivet press or rolling mill.

I am looking at the option of lost wax brass castings as an alternative to whitemetal particularly if demand is limited.

On a positive note I should be able to produce a MGWR Standard Goods, Heavy Shunting Tank or Achill Bogie a lot quicker as they shared many standard parts with the Ks/650 Class

IMG_1862 (2).jpg

Little package arrived from the UK yesterday, I have found a couple of potential casters in Auckland, so a late 2017 release looks feasible.

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

Wow, a fine looking kit. Definitely interested in one John. Jeremy's work is astoundingly good...as always!

Lost wax brass work is always nice too.

Well done.

Yes I will commit to get one too. Looks like an interesting prototype too.

John,

This really does look rather nice. Please put me down for one!

Many thanks.

Richard.

Dear John

A CIE period one for me, please.

After all, the Cavan branch had an end-on junction with the GN and from there it was a mere few hours puffing for one of these on a GAA special!!!!

Thanks.

Leslie

Dear John

A CIE period one for me, please.

After all, the Cavan branch had an end-on junction with the GN and from there it was a mere few hours puffing for one of these on a GAA special!!!!

Thanks.

Leslie

Dare I say "Up the Dubs!"?

It looks nice, put me down for one of the later CIE versions to start with.

Colin

The kit can be assembled in either late MGWR or GSR/CIE condition with round topped superheated boiler. The kit can be assembled with the late MGWR GNR style curved canopy cab, or the later Inchacore style of cab with either circular or rectangular spectacle plates.

The GSR & CIE cut slots in the valences of most MGWR from the mid1930s onwards, the odd engine escaped including one of the Achill Bogie 4-4-0s

650 Class Valences.jpg

I originally designed the kit with solid valences with the option of the builder forming the slots by drilling out and filing half etched sections of the valence.

I will look at releasing the kit with the option of solid or slotted valences as most of the demand is for the locos in late GSR/CIE condition.

The design of the kit is influenced by North Eastern Kits Tennant 2-4-0. The RM Web article will give an idea of what's involved in building the 650 Class though I have added non-working inside valve gear. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58520-ner-tennant-2-4-0/

I have completed what I hope are the final ammendments to the drawings for the photo engraver and send the patterns on the 1st stage of the mould making and casting process next week.