Baby GMs move to Connolly.

Rate this topic

Thank you both. That's more than I thought it might be especially for a narrow gauge tank loco! I really have no idea how the preservation groups manage under those circumstances

Railway preservation is a bit like owning a race horse without the chance of big prize money. Most restoration work is funded by private and public donation, fare box and charter revenue usually just about covers running costs.

None of those figures surprise me, which is why a preservation outfit has to think of money, money, money first. Whims of enthusiasts often are put forward in the sense "why doesn't the ITGRPSIDCDR do XYZ?". the answer almost always is volunteer time, money, and the likely financial return from the restored loco. This is why, for example, the restoration of No. 27 "Lough Erne" will never take precedence over, say, Nos. 4, 171, 131, 85, or 461. Similarly, restoration of a diesel to working order, crew training and certification for main line running has to be very strictly analysed in advance; will the thing attract a few enthusiasts for a few trips before the novelty wears off, or will it earn its keep long term?

If the answer if the former, no sensible treasurer would set a red cent near it. Personally, I suspect (and hope) that it's the latter. After some 20 years dealing with both RPSI and DCDR finances, I hear the cries of the treasurers.....

• 5 months later...