Coach Lighting for under 2 euro a coach

Rate this topic

Northwest141

Having bought a Train Tech lighting board for a Cravens

at a cost of £17.00 plus £3.00 postage

i wondered if there was a cheaper way to go about lighting the cravens

First off the Train Tech lighting is excellent { motion sensored } after 2 to 3 mins it switches itself off

again when it is bumped or coupled the lighting comes back on

so all in all a good product { be it a bit costly } 5 coaches = £85 plus postage

i searched around on e bay and found the following

5 x lightboards for 11 euro shipped { 3 volt operated } same as Train tech

then i came across the 3 volt holders for the batteries { the holders are fitted with an on/off switch } which is ideal

so i opened up a cravens and fitted the light bar to the roof

then soldered the wiring to the switch { holder }

fitted the holder in the back of the cravens { then making the window hole slightly bigger in the back of the carrige

i was able to fit the switch with a few dabs of super glue { as seen in the pics }

simple to operate , i use a pen to turn on and off the switch .

paint the white switch a dab of black , or put the red cover on and nothing is visible .

works a treat , and cheap too :tumbsup:003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by Northwest141

Sorry not set up for video here , but result is the same as Train tech { WARM WHITE }

that one was the first one done . and i see by the pics i need to file down a bit of the window opening to make it flush

but for a few euro , im ok with it so far

when run in a rake with the Train tech fitted coach, there is no change in colour .

here is the link to the train tech lighting

http://train-tech.com/index.php/lighting/interior-coach-lighting

with both the train tech , and this set up , the battery is enclosed in the carrige

so the drawback is , when the battery is low , the carrige must be taken apart to replace it

but they give a long life 5-7 hours

Edited by Northwest141

with both the train tech , and this set up , the battery is enclosed in the carrige

so the drawback is , when the battery is low , the carrige must be taken apart to replace it

but they give a long life 5-7 hours

That's a great tip. A ten-fold reduction in cost is definitely worth doing and makes equipping a couple of rakes affordable for the average modeler. DO you thin it is possible to route the wiring between the window, drill a tiny hole in the floor and hide the battery behind the 'battery boxes' under the chassis. Battery replacement would be infinitely easier

That's a great tip. A ten-fold reduction in cost is definitely worth doing and makes equipping a couple of rakes affordable for the average modeler. DO you thin it is possible to route the wiring between the window, drill a tiny hole in the floor and hide the battery behind the 'battery boxes' under the chassis. Battery replacement would be infinitely easier

Hi

that was my original plan :tumbsup:

but sadly the holder is visible if mounted underneath

it fits just perfect in the back compartment in the cravens

next attempt will be a MK11 and see how that works out

• 1 month later...