Dublin trams

Rate this question

brianmcs

Question

22 answers to this question

Hello Guys ,

anybody know where there might be some photos of Dublin trams ?

Could you please be specific regarding your enquiry of Dublin Trams.

Are you wanting information on the Tramcars that were withdrawn from the Streets of Dublin in July, 1949

The Hill of Howth tramcars

The modern things that are called LUAS.

I may be able to assist with the first two but not the latter.

Old Blarney.

The Hill of Howth tramcars,

Dave,

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but you incorrect with your statement.

Yes, The Hill of Howth Trams ran until March 1959.

The Dublin Trams finished in July, 1949. The last routes being the 6 Blackrock - 7 Dun Laoghaire and 8 Dalkey. I remember them finishing, and I'll take you on any amount of money that the City Trams did not run into the 50s. There was a Festival, An Tostal, from 1953 to 1958 held to boost Dublin Tourism - in its first year a Dublin Luxuary Car was used as a Publicity Office on the North Side of The Pillar. Perhaps it is this Tramcar that your sister was photographed at?

Also see Wikipedia.

Dublin tramways was a system of trams in Dublin, Ireland which commenced line-laying in ... of the system went out of service from the mid-1920s, in part overtaken by the bus. The decline of the trams accelerated in the 1940s and the last trams ran on 9 July 1949 in Dublin city and in 1959 on Howth Head, near Dublin

[/color]

[/Old Blarney

Edited by Old Blarney

"Tongue in check" - Trams in the form of 22k have been back since 2008, and luas street trams since 04. Luckily on the Cork and Belfast routes real passenger trains still operate (i.e. an engine and carriages), no 'roller skates' on rails. I fear one day in the future the only real trains that may run on Irish rails could be RPSI specials.

"Tongue in check" - Trams in the form of 22k have been back since 2008, and luas street trams since 04. Luckily on the Cork and Belfast routes real passenger trains still operate (i.e. an engine and carriages), no 'roller skates' on rails. I fear one day in the future the only real trains that may run on Irish rails could be RPSI specials.

At over 180 tonnes per three carriage train, 100mph capability I don't think you can realistically compare the 22k train to a tram Noel. They may not be of the same interest to railway enthusiasts (maybe they are to some), but they are comfortable and versatile and seem to be the way of the future on many modern railways across the world. I think they are very nice looking trains myself even though I would rather see the loco hauled trains too but that is progress I suppose!

At over 180 tonnes per three carriage train, 100mph capability I don't think you can realistically compare the 22k train to a tram Noel. They may not be of the same interest to railway enthusiasts (maybe they are to some), but they are comfortable and versatile and seem to be the way of the future on many modern railways across the world. I think they are very nice looking trains myself even though I would rather see the loco hauled trains too but that is progress I suppose!

Hi Sulzer, As I said it was slightly "Tongue in cheek" :) They are very functional and efficient for IR's business, and I agree for modern trains they do look well. My only complaint about them for long intercity journeys is the noise and the stiffness of the seats. Not a prob for short commuter trips, but Dublin-Killarney, or Dublin-Westport is a long trip on them. Cheers. Noel

Hi

Possibly some of the only original surviving tram tracks, in the Dalkey Tram Yard, they also have the back-end stairs of a tram (not sure if its original)sticking out of the restaurant building- but could not get in to take a shot, twas all locked up!!

Tram-Trk-01 IMAG2266.jpg

Tram-Trk-00 IMAG2267.jpg

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

I am a few days late - as some may say - But then it is better to be late than never arrive! Found this on YouTube this evening.

Short film, but it certainly shows our Trams, apologies "Cars", and they were; Proud, as was I, to have had the opportunity to travel on them.

Do hope you fine this brief film useful to you?