Bargain Watch

Rate this topic

BosKonay

According to Cyril Mc Intyre's CIE Buses book, it was exhibited in the Irish Pavilion at the 1939 World's Fair in GSR ivory and black, photographed in 1952 used as a window display in the American Express Company's Travel Service. Repainted in 1954 to match U class coaches, Last time it was seen in public was a CIE display at the 1956 Cork Summer Show before 'disappearing without trace'. *cough*

Edited by minister_for_hardship

According to Cyril Mc Intyre's CIE Buses book, it was exhibited in the Irish Pavilion at the 1939 World's Fair in GSR ivory and black, photographed in 1952 used as a window display in the American Express Company's Travel Service. Repainted in 1954 to match U class coaches, Last time it was seen in public was a CIE display at the 1956 Cork Summer Show before 'disappearing without trace'. *cough*

Probably too late to investigate the disappearance now, but if worth £1 million?

I did not know the history of this but I knew somebody on here would having asked the question about what these things are valued at before. I'm pretty sure it's not worth that. The interesting thing is, I think I saw it advertised for about £6000 before…. now suddenly it's £1 million!

So the next question would be if you were to purchase this item would actually be yours….Assuming you had a spare on £1m or similar offer=))

Edited by DiveController

Would imagine it would be worth around a grand or so, don't think anything Fry made came on the open market (open to correction on this!) so nothing to go on.

A million is moonshine talk. Seller is chancing his arm.

If this was a 'normal' country, we would have a transport museum that would get in contact with the seller and check it out. It is a pretty unique item of our transport heritage, but our National Museum simply wouldn't be bothered.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Listing is for ten grand, the §M listing is just for marketing - here is the real link

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221639222378?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D221639222378%26_rdc%3D1

Curious one all the same...

Odd, it didn't sell,

Item condition:Used

“Cyril Fry's Rare/ lost ,Queen Mary bus - three foot six inch long - GSR 1938 Great Southern Railway ” ... Read more

Ended: 25 Dec, 2014 17:39:22 GMT

Starting bid:EUR 10,000.00

[ 0 bids ]

:ROFL:

Odd, it didn't sell,

Item condition:Used

“Cyril Fry's Rare/ lost ,Queen Mary bus - three foot six inch long - GSR 1938 Great Southern Railway ” ... Read more

Ended: 25 Dec, 2014 17:39:22 GMT

Starting bid:EUR 10,000.00

[ 0 bids ]

:ROFL:

The €10,000 listing has ended but the £1 million is still active :confused:

• 1 month later...
http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/kernow/title.gif have 7 MM 201's in stock, 208, 209, 220, 222, 229, 230 and 233. 220 is the orange one. They are £145 each.

:confused:

This is probably the most expensive price possible to find these locos at. As already said, Rails are cheaper. Hattons are cheaper too. And, when you factor in the exchange rate, Irish retailers would be even cheaper.

Edited by aclass007

Worth bearing in mind just how low the euro has dropped against sterling and dollars these days - 145 pounds is touching 200 euro at the moment - so where possible give your cash to the local lads :)

I do where at all possible give preference for my new purchases to Irish model shops. However, shipping always seem to be more from ROI retailers. I know that Hattons etc. must subsidize the shipping charges and write it off as an expense. Also websites that are set up to quote international shipping charges and quote and automatically deduct VAT for non-EEC orders are more user friendly to order from. Something to note in lean times:)

I do where at all possible give preference for my new purchases to Irish model shops. However, shipping always seem to be more from ROI retailers. I know that Hattons etc. must subsidize the shipping charges and write it off as an expense. Also websites that are set up to quote international shipping charges and quote and automatically deduct VAT for non-EEC orders are more user friendly to order from. Something to note in lean times:)

Shipping with Rails and Kernow can border on the hilarious sometimes. Rails especially piss me off as they dont tell you what the postage rate is till they have already charged you for it. I only use them for limited editions which would interest me now.

Shipping with Rails and Kernow can border on the hilarious sometimes. Rails especially piss me off as they dont tell you what the postage rate is till they have already charged you for it. I only use them for limited editions which would interest me now.

Yes, I agree with you, Fran. Kernow usually has prices about Stg5-15 over the competition depending on whether it's a coach or loco. Definitely don't like the (lack of) a proper shipping quote at Rails, hence my previous comment. In the UK, my experience has been that Hattons site is very good and the staff are good when there's a problem (one coach received defective, returned, no quibbles, return postage refunded).

Keen RRP prices even with the weak Euro. Almost close to Irish retailers. I see the new supertrain coaches are £39 which is less than €56

Yes, I already worked that out, it's only a couple of euro per coach but if you're buying a rake….

Edited by DiveController

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...