Phoenix Park Tunnel Services - draft timetable.

Rate this topic

• 2 months later...

After almost a week in Vienna recently, I saw a city some 25% larger than Dublin with seamless, and in some cases 24 hour, tram, bus and underground railway lines. We have two tram lines, the red one not being all that speedy ("luas"?!) and Vienna has 177km of trams. There are some 6 or 8 separate underground lines covering all areas; we have none. Buses almost seem superfluous, and nobody ever takes their car into town. There's absolutely no need. Our roads are choked with buses and cars.

Dublin's population will exceed that of Northern Ireland, i.e. will be 20% larger, within 15 years. this will make it equal to Vienna's. We NEED a system like this, and for that matter it might be of interest to readers to know that drivers of trains, trams and buses in Vienna - where the cost of living is almost exactly the same as Dublin - earn some 65% of what they earn here. Just sayin'.

Against this background, and doubtless many others like it, all this fuss about one tunnel is just pathetic.

Oh yes; Austria has a similiar number of taxpayers to Ireland.

Any improvement, however small and however late, is to be welcomed for what it is. Extra usage will provide extra revenue - and extra pressure for further improvements. Is this isn't seen as a "success", than that reduces the likelihood for any further improvements.

I've some experience of the Prague public transport system , probably very similar to Vienna's. That will have been up and running at a time when car ownership was at a much lower level than it is now. It wouldn't be easy for anybody to justify the expenditure or the disruption that would be needed to build it now.

Any improvement, however small and however late, is to be welcomed for what it is. Extra usage will provide extra revenue - and extra pressure for further improvements. Is this isn't seen as a "success", than that reduces the likelihood for any further improvements.

I've some experience of the Prague public transport system , probably very similar to Vienna's. That will have been up and running at a time when car ownership was at a much lower level than it is now. It wouldn't be easy for anybody to justify the expenditure or the disruption that would be needed to build it now.

All very true, Broithe.....however...... difficult, expensive or not, Dublin will absolutely have to have more public transport. There's no room above ground. The soon they start the better and the longer they leave it the more difficult it will get.

Time for the traditional Dublin whinging to be silenced; we need this nationally, as a plan, so the normal standards of "me, self and I" and "compensation compensation compensation" will eventually have to be overtaken by national necessity...

And I agree that the tunnel is a start.

Edited by jhb171achill

All very true, Broithe.....however...... difficult, expensive or not, Dublin will absolutely have to have more public transport. There's no room above ground. The soon they start the better and the longer they leave it the more difficult it will get.

Time for the traditional Dublin whinging to be silenced; we need this nationally, as a plan, so the normal standards of "me, self and I" and "compensation compensation compensation" will eventually have to be overtaken by national necessity...

And I agree that the tunnel is a start.

Won't happen until we stop " one fur all in the audience " capital funding approach. Wrc being a classic case

Glad to see the tunnel is finally going to be opened to passenger traffic once again. Is there any other locations where light rail will travel over heavy rail - once the LCC is complete?

As for those giving out about Dublins' public transport system; having lived in Auckland for the past 6 months - a city of similar population to Dublin with the same urban sprawl issues - it makes the public transport system in Dublin seem fantastic in comparison and makes the M50 at rush hour seem free-flowing!

Evening all,

Iarnród Éireann launched their new commuter services connecting stations between Newbridge and Parkwest with Connolly to Grand Canal Dock via the Phoenix Park Tunnel line on Monday 21st November.

The introduction of the new services follows an investment of €13.7 million in upgrading the Phoenix Park Tunnel route, funded by the National Transport Authority.

Seven new morning peak trains to Grand Canal Dock, and eight new evening peak trains from Grand Canal Dock begin on Monday 21st November, with limited stop services in the opposite direction.

Passenger loadings on the two inbound services this morning which I travelled on were very healthy and it is a good indication that it will be a popular service in the coming years.

This is the first phase of services to operate via the Phoenix Park Tunnel. Iarnród Éireann and the National Transport Authority plan to expand services in the future to include off-peak and weekend services.

Click http://smu.gs/2gvoIZS to view. There will also be a video uploaded to the gallery and pictures of one of the evening peak workings later this evening (all going to plan).

DSC_4072-M.jpg

rumor is that the rosslare service will now be stripped of ICRs to divert to this new service , OMG

Where did you hear that from? Nothing like that is happening at the moment and not immediately planned, as the ICRs are provided from the Heuston side by re-organising the diagrams (such as bringing back a Mark 4 set, releasing a few units)