Burning track on DCC

Rate this question

roryon

Question

Evening Modelers..

I run a layout on DCC. This evening I noticed what looked like sparking coming between two track joints. When I inspected closer I saw that it was actually the glow of heat being generated between the two track joins and the plastic sleepers underneath were melting.

I have run the layout for a year and this is the first time I would have seen this. One track piece as new hornby and the other track was old jeouf from the seventies but cleaned and with a new hornby track join slotted in

Appreciate any thoughts on what could have caused this and how I prevent in future. I always have the entire layout unplugged when not in use

Rory

9 answers to this question

Hi Rory,

Sounds like arcing between the rails, the power is jumping from one track to the other and generating heat as a result. I never rely on the joints in the track to distribute power, I solder droppers to every piece of track.

As dirt builds up between the rail and the joiner the electrical connectivity breaks down and arcing is produced.

Have you got power connected in just one place or spread equally around the layout?

Hi Rory,

Sounds like arcing between the rails, the power is jumping from one track to the other and generating heat as a result. I never rely on the joints in the track to distribute power, I solder droppers to every piece of track.

As dirt builds up between the rail and the joiner the electrical connectivity breaks down and arcing is produced.

Have you got power connected in just one place or spread equally around the layout?

Hi, Yes as Dave says, you will be better soldering every track join from a power bus, ie, run two lengths of cable under the layout, then solder droppers from the track to the bus. Another quick and temporary fix would be to solder the track join.

You mentioned Jouef track Rory

Where and when did you pick it up?

I would try to use more modern Peco or Hornby track made from Nickle Silver

Ease of maintenance would also suggest the Nickle Silver

I would reckon the Jouef is steel and tends to need a lot more maintenance, it also rusts if used in a damp shed or loft

Hi Rory,

Thanks for the help, appreciated