Most flexible Gen van livery

Rate this question

richrua

Question

I've been attempting a Generator van conversion from mk1 coach to run with my Craven. As I am not fixed to any particular era, I was wondering which livery I might be able to use. For example, I have both early and later cravens. Which livery might suit both (if at all) if I wanted to use the gene van in each of these trains? Thanks

3 answers to this question

I've been attempting a Generator van conversion from mk1 coach to run with my Craven. As I am not fixed to any particular era, I was wondering which livery I might be able to use. For example, I have both early and later cravens. Which livery might suit both (if at all) if I wanted to use the gene van in each of these trains? Thanks

May I be cheeky and suggest!

A) For maximum flexibility paint one side to match your CIE early Cravens and the opposite side to match the IR/IE Cravens!

B) If you find the above unacceptable, you could opt for the IR twin white lines and still run with CIE Cravens. There were a number of Cravens that remained in CIE livery for quite some time after the formation of IR.

Excellent photographs to be found on these links.

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ie/car/IE/ie_mk1_3183tla_cd.jpg

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ie/car/IE/pix.html

Edited by Old Blarney

There was one or two Cravens in the CIE livery right up to 1995. One was even part of the ITG Yankee railtour that was double headed by the two NIR 201s. So a Gen van in the later IR livery can cover running from 1987 to 1995 with the CIE livery Cravens. Then you have the old CIE livery GSV what would cover from the 1960s right up till when the last GSV was painted in the IR livery sometime in the early 90s.