IRM Cement Bubble Poll - Mercig Factory Weathering or Pristine Finish?

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Hi everyone,

Progress on the IRM Cement Bubbles has been swift and we are now looking at the decoration stage of the model. We will be doing four packs of three separate running numbers in the final ivory livery they carried.

However, the IRM team has been kicking around the idea of treating them to factory weathered finish since they spent more time in an atrocious weathered condition than pristine.

25182 Copyright SSM RESIZED.jpg

(Image copyright SSM. Thanks for permission to use the image Des)

Working on this project with DJ models allows us to avail of the Mercig inspired factory weathered finish. While most factory weathering is poor at best, the Mercig renditions are seen as the industry leading. You can see Mercig's custom work here and his masters turned into a factory finish on OO gauge models like the forthcoming DJ Class 71 here

You can do the survey by clicking on this link There is also some bonus questions on future liveries and products. Poll closes on Monday, October 3rd at 11pm. Ordering details for the bubbles will be revealed at the Raheny show.

Thanks for the feedback and feel free to discuss why you voted the way you did on here! :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Fran, thanks. Done. It depends on how the weathering is done. If gentle weathering with the blue wording clearly visible, I'd prefer that, but if filthy/manky dirty and blotchy like some old prototypes I wouldn't like as i don't think such heavy weather scales well down to model size and the logo would not be clearly visible. Will the first batch have the blue irish cement logo? BTW, great going guys. I'd take four packs gently factory weathered when available. :)

I only ever remember ever seeing them heavily weathered it is part of their unique look. They look much heavily weathered than the PCA wagons in the UK. I've seen Mercig's heavy weathering on a Dapol Silver Bullet and believe me it does scale down well while also looking fantastic. I would advise a look on the gallery on their website. Also just completed the survey and I hope it will give IRM some food for thought in relation to future products. Thanks for keeping us in the loop again lads.

Rich,

If It adds STG20 a wagon (as per his website) then Pristine will do here. I imagine bulk would be a bit cheaper.

Factory weathering does not really cut the mustard.

You could retire Early with the prices being charged on the Mercig site:confused:

Must get a 71 myself next.

Hi George,

Just to clarify, Mercig would be creating 'master' samples which the factory in China would replicate. Standard factory weathering doesn't float my boat either, but I know the factory can faithfully reproduce weathering samples that are supplied to them, which is something I think many manufacturers don't actually bother doing.

Hi Noel,

Both logos will be represented in the production run.

Excellent stuff, and then of course some wagons ran without any logo. The choice of logos/no logo allows anyone to model the wagons in the CIE/IR/I.E. era's, which covers most of their working lives.

Looking forward to seeing the artwork for these iconic wagons.

P.S. Any hints on Project 3?

Hi Guys

Is this similar to colour and livery that is planned for the first run (i.e. white/ivory with blue 'Irish Cement' logo? If yes I'd love to buy 12 of them either pristine or lightly factory weathered (e.g. similar level of light dusting done on MM factory weathered locos).

david_orr_gnri.jpg

Photo David Orr's photobucket

Unfortunately I would have no interest in buying heavily weathered ones like the photo below.

noel_enright_ttc0169.jpg

Photo Noel Enright's photobucket

PS: Great work guys

For me it depends on 2 things:

1. Will each wagon be weathered identically? If yes then I would rather have them clean.

2. Will it significantly add to the price?

Hi Jimbo,

Yes, we plan on them being individually matched to prototype pics of each real wagon. So each one one would be different.

There would be a small addition to price, but nothing significant. Overall they would be a lot cheaper than a professional job.

Excellent stuff, and then of course some wagons ran without any logo. The choice of logos/no logo allows anyone to model the wagons in the CIE/IR/I.E. era's, which covers most of their working lives.

Looking forward to seeing the artwork for these iconic wagons.

P.S. Any hints on Project 3?

Project 3 shall be revealed at Raheny next month, so not too much longer to wait!

I'm definitely in favour of a heavily weathered model, they would look too 'toy like' in pristine condition IMO & as was stated, they spent most of their working life caked in dust,grime & mud.

I totally understand that prototypically, but if some were sold 'pristine' at least modellers could choose to weather themselves at whatever level they preferred. Most unweathered models look toy like (e.g. MM0171, MM5229, etc). Even if lightly weathered, modellers could add additional 'filth' if desired. As the survey asked, perhaps the solution might be to produce half heavily weathered, and the other half either pristine or lightly dusted.

Edited by Noel
Posts crossed

Thanks for the feedback so far gents, and we think it's a good idea to have a debate about it and see what the public wants. We are sensitive to the idea that people like to weather their own models and that there are lots of skilled lads with the air brush in the community too. It's nice to have these options to offer our customers and give you all a say in the matter. There would be a slight cost implication of course, but it wouldn't be huge. We should have details on pricing soon. :)

Edited by Warbonnet

Hi George,

Just to clarify, Mercig would be creating 'master' samples which the factory in China would replicate. Standard factory weathering doesn't float my boat either, but I know the factory can faithfully reproduce weathering samples that are supplied to them, which is something I think many manufacturers don't actually bother doing.

ah ha the pennys dropped! Imagine weathering 500 odd of those...blimey!

Thanks for the feedback so far gents, and we think it's a good idea to have a debate about it and see what the public wants. We are sensitive to the idea that people like to weather their own models and that there are lots of skilled lads with the air brush in the community too. It's nice to have these options to offer our customers and give you all a say in the matter. There would be a slight cost implication of course, but it wouldn't be huge. We should have details on pricing soon. :)

Thanks Fran. Sound exciting. Can you please confirm my question yesterday that the livery is not dissimilar to the photo I linked to yesterday with the two shades of blue Irish Cement wording? Noel

Sure Noel. Yes, that is the livery for the first run. Many hung onto their CIE roundel until the bitter end, some had Irish Cement logos an some had none. Our packs will be fateful to the prototypes can carry whatever logo the real one did in service. Therefore the packs will be a mixture of logos.

My first thought was "Factory weathering = No".

..but, I'm definitely being won over as the debate goes on - it would be nice to see a representative example.

Factory weathering has usually seemed too homogenous, but you seem to be addressing this and could bring the technique past even the dirty silver bullets..

The bubbles do need to be dirty.

My first thought was "Factory weathering = No".

..but, I'm definitely being won over as the debate goes on - it would be nice to see a representative example.

Factory weathering has usually seemed too homogenous, but you seem to be addressing this and could bring the technique past even the dirty silver bullets..

The bubbles do need to be dirty.

Good points Jim. I guess we could get the masters done on the pre-production to demonstrate what they will look like, and preview it before making a final decision on the finish. If that's something we could do then we'd be more than happy to go down that road.

Good points Jim. I guess we could get the masters done on the pre-production to demonstrate what they will look like, and preview it before making a final decision on the finish. If that's something we could do then we'd be more than happy to go down that road.

It might put some minds at rest.

If it does look the business, and it doesn't add huge cost, then it seems worth pursuing.

Individuality is important, particularly for the bubbles - a rake of (too) similar weathering rarely looks right.

On another note, thank you to everyone for your votes so far. We've had over 60 responses as it stands and we have also had some great suggestions for what you guys would like us to do in the future. It looks like our announcement next month is one of most popular requests which puts our minds at ease somewhat that we have an idea what the market wants! :)

Weathering all the way. How can 15 pristine look any less homogeneous than 15 durty ones?

All one needs to add is a bit of varied graffitti.

I never remember seeing them clean in the flesh so pristine doesn't fit my vibe.

I'll be honest, I'm starting to come around to this idea. Even if they look too uniform, it's easy to add individual effects to a rake.

Look forward to seeing a weathered sample.....

I don't think anyone is in doubt about how good Mercig's work looks, it's top notch. But as was already pointed out, Mercig would merely be providing samples for the factory to copy so actual factory examples would need to be seen.

Totally get where you're coming from on that, and samples would be seen and have to be approved/rejected. Below is a sample of a product that was mass produced from a Mercig master in OO scale to give you an idea.

https://az837062.vo.msecnd.net/product-images.axd/IMG_7305MAY16.jpg?preset=large

I don't think anyone is in doubt about how good Mercig's work looks, it's top notch. But as was already pointed out, Mercig would merely be providing samples for the factory to copy so actual factory examples would need to be seen.

But people are, they wont buy them if they are weathered.