Speed signs at junctions

Rate this question

wiggy

Question

Can anyone tell me or has a photo of a speed sign at a junction.

What I want to know is, lets say the main line speed is 90, then you come to a junction where the speed is 20 to cross from the main line to the branch or what ever, dose the sign have 90 then a 20 underneath with an arrow pointing in the direction of the junction or what.????

Hope I explained it all right.

Regards,

Wiggy.

21 answers to this question

There is one at the south end of Portarlington. If I remember it correctly it has the following, reading from the top down: a right pointing white arrow on a blue background, then a 20 mph speed restriction board for the branch and, at the bottom, an 80 mph restriction board for the main line. If I get a chance I'll check it out the next time I'm down there.

Wiggy, I grabbed these last Thursday at Newcommen Curve, North Strand, they seem to be the latest type. There isn't any mainline [if you can it that] speed sign anywhere, it appears to refer to the speed on the line heading to the left of the bottom photo.

Not sure what the triangle represents.

Richie.

DSCF5341.jpg

DSCF5345.jpg

DSCF5341.jpg

DSCF5345.jpg

Wiggy, I grabbed these last Thursday at Newcommen Curve, North Strand, they seem to be the latest type. There isn't any mainline [if you can it that] speed sign anywhere, it appears to refer to the speed on the line heading to the left of the bottom photo.

Not sure what the triangle represents.

Richie.

The triangle is advance warning of a temporary speed restriction, The start of the restriction will have a back “C” on a yellow board and the end of the restriction will have a black “T” on a yellow board.

Edited by snapper

Thanks guys.

I think we are getting somewhere, so whats the difference between a Blue background with white arrow and a Yellow background with a Black arrow.??

Any one know.??

Again the Blue may be for temporary speed who knows.

Looks like they dont have the 2 speeds together on the same post.!!!

Any drivers around. ???(train that is)

Ta,

Wiggy.

I've just found this - http://www.railsigns.co.uk/overseas/ireland2/ireland2.html - might be of some use..

Thanks Broithe,

I have seen the link before.

[iE 19] shows a Blue with White above the speed sign.

[iE 23] shows a Blue with White below the speed sign but this is a temp speed restriction.

No mention of the Yellow with Black unless this is something new.

All as clear as mud.

I would like to get it right if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Wiggy.

Wiggy, I have some info from IE that I will look through and if I can glean any further clarification about how they are put together I'll put it up.

Des, you did send me something when I had the signs of you but this does not answer my questions.

If you can find something else that would be great.

Cheers,

Wiggy.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, I just gave a quick look at the driver eye view from Dublin to Cork.

Cherryville junction and the junction at mallow for Tralee both have Hexagonal Yellow speed sign over black arrow on blue rectangular sign .

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, I just gave a quick look at the driver eye view from Dublin to Cork.

Cherryville junction and the junction at mallow for Tralee both have Hexagonal Yellow speed sign over black arrow on blue rectangular sign .

Sometimes the obvious eludes us.

I have all the drivers eye Irish videos and never even thought of that.

Well I know what I'll be doing to night, think you might be right on that one though.

Wiggy.

CIE used to use a rectangular board with the speed limit in black at the commencement, with an arrow below the speed limit for a diverging route at junctions, this arrangement seems to have dated back to the 1950s.

The main thing to remember is that speed through junctions is largely controlled by signalling, unless a junction is designed for high speed running a train taking the diverging route at junction is running under restricted (yellow) signal aspects, and is prepared to stop at the next signal as until it clears the junction.

Well I've just finished watching 3 'Drivers eye views' on Ireland and to be honest they don't seam to use them.

Only spotted 3.

One had a White disk with Black arrow under the speed sign and the other 2 had Blue background with White arrow under the speed sign.

Looks like I'll use that one if at all.

Thanks all for your help any way.

Wiggy.

Got the attached picture of the speed limit signs at the south end of Portarlington today from a train passing on the Up road. The white arrow on the blue background and the 20 mph limit refer to trains using the facing crossover and heading for the Athlone line. The 80 mph restriction refers to the limit on the main line due to the curve through the station.

Permanent speed restrictions use the eight-sided board with black numerals on a yellow reflective background and a black border. The sign in Glenderg's post #5 is an advance warning sign for a 5 mph temporary speed restriction on a line diverging to the left, hence the circular yellow board with the speed limit and the yellow triangular board with the black triangle on it.

DSC01763r.jpg

DSC01763r.jpg