Rails Through North Kerry

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Many thanks, Patrick.

There's a third one in planning stage, Patrick, but so is a history of the Clifden line, so I'll just have to see what time I have. I'd like to get Clifden finished.

After the next "picture" book, I've a long term plan for a fourth. The next one will be a collection other than Barry's; while the last one will be a mix of photos from several contributors stretching from the 1920s to the 1990s. Now, none of this will happen overnight as being "retired", I'm exceptionally busy with all sorts of stuff....

I think its fabulous to see pictures that without these sorts of publications would most likely be lost forever or remain incognito in private collections. The irish railways have changed so much since 2005 , that they are almost unrecognisable and these books are a great way to record its demise

well done John

dave

This will be launched in the Flying Boat Museum, Foynes, on Saturday 26th November. And none of the pictures in it are upside down......!

All welcome. Probably about 2pm.

Good luck with the Launch and, of course, sales.

Looking forward to selling it to the exiles over here.

Pity it won't be in time for the Warley Exhibition!

Leslie

Many thanks, Patrick.

There's a third one in planning stage, Patrick, but so is a history of the Clifden line, so I'll just have to see what time I have. I'd like to get Clifden finished.

After the next "picture" book, I've a long term plan for a fourth. The next one will be a collection other than Barry's; while the last one will be a mix of photos from several contributors stretching from the 1920s to the 1990s. Now, none of this will happen overnight as being "retired", I'm exceptionally busy with all sorts of stuff....

From the 20s?

Keep talking...

This will be launched in the Flying Boat Museum, Foynes, on Saturday 26th November. And none of the pictures in it are upside down......!

Looking forward to this being launched. Docked in Foynes many times. It reeks of history.

Jimmy O'Dea's stuff can all be viewed at the National Photographic Archive, Temple Bar. Amazing stuff. You need to make an appointment though, and it took me several days there to go through his entire collection a few years ago.

there's a good lot of railway stuff in the Lawrence Collection there too, dating from the 1880-1920 period. For those interested in trams or floating things, there's much to provide interest as well.

JB, would love to be there, so fingers crossed. I'll definitely be getting the book.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update; the launch will be performed by Lady Geraldine Dunraven, and it all kicks off at 2pm in the Flying Boat Museum in Foynes. Barry and I will be there along with Malcolm Johnston of Colourpoint Publishing. It promises to be a great afternoon!

Hopefully I'll see a few of this community there! All invited.

As John will tell you, there are several collections which give us an insight into Ireland in the early years of the Twentieth Century - Kelland Collection, Henry Casserley (from 1930s on), Ken Nunn Collection to name a few - all Englishmen, but they left us a Treasury - thank the Lord!

The earliest photo from any of these three gents in my book Steaming in Three Centuries was taken in 1901.

Leslie

As John will tell you, there are several collections which give us an insight into Ireland in the early years of the Twentieth Century - Kelland Collection, Henry Casserley (from 1930s on), Ken Nunn Collection to name a few - all Englishmen, but they left us a Treasury - thank the Lord!

The earliest photo from any of these three gents in my book Steaming in Three Centuries was taken in 1901.

Leslie

Are these collections digitized and accessible?

Are these collections digitized and accessible?

They ARE digitised, however, the drawings are not accessible through the Internet, Kevin, if that's what you mean.

However, Richard does sell them on CD-ROM, so you can print whatever you need, however you need it.

I'll e-mail you the catalogue.

Leslie

John

Good luck with your launch - thanks to Hermes, I'll be launching your book at Warley a couple of hours earlier!

For the rest of you - super book packed with an amazing variety of photos and traffic I didn't know the line carried!

If you're at Warley, be among the first to own it! Stand D056, in case you've forgotten - Irish Railway Record Society. Come and see Richard's great loco, coach, wagon and building drawings - AND BUY THOSE TOO!

Well done John and Barry - another winner.

Leslie

I would love to see Rails Through Waterford and Wexford.

From the 20s?

Keep talking...

Firstly, many thanks to all who were at Foynes yesterday. Barry and myself greatly appreciated the support and it was good to meet so many people.

One of a number of long term future projects would involve sifting through a somewhat eclectic collection of unpublished material, the earliest of which is late 1920s. Much sifting and photoshopping will be required though, as although the raw material is interesting, the quality of the photos varies from the very poor to the adequately good; few are of really high standard!

Edited by jhb171achill

• 2 weeks later...