IT article on report - IE funding crisis puts lines at risk

Rate this topic

Leaked report on future of IE leaked to Irish Times.

Not pleasant reading - warns of multiple line closures

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/iarnród-éireann-funding-crisis-puts-lines-at-risk-report-warns-1.2840355

If 'true' the piece paints a bleak picture. One might be forgiving for wondering if the leaked report is really about the closure of two lines rather than the extensive cuts it hints at.

Reminds me of the Serpell report in the UK in the 1980s. That really worked out!

"The review was compiled by the National Transport Authority and Iarnród Éireann to examine possible solutions for the financial sustainability of the State-owned rail operator.". Begging bowl out - if you don't fund us we will close

Over dramatic terminology; judging by the 17:50 Tralee - Mallow - Dublin yesterday, with the vestibules packed with people standing, there's no lack of usage.......though I suppose it has to be accepted that this doesn't necessarily represent any sort of financial surplus.

The report is designed to get Shane Ross to cough up.

Incidentally, buses now often have notices about how many seats there are for passengers. Also, how many "standees".

This is the latest incarnation of makey-uppy words invented by half-literate idiots, or garbled transatlantic linguistic inventions. There is no such thing as a "standee". Any word ending like this indicates the party to which something is being done, not the party doing it.

Thus, a person standing is a stander, not a standee. If the word standee DID exist, it would indicate someone who is being STOOD ON!!!

Reminds me of the Serpell report in the UK in the 1980s. That really worked out!

"The review was compiled by the National Transport Authority and Iarnród Éireann to examine possible solutions for the financial sustainability of the State-owned rail operator.". Begging bowl out - if you don't fund us we will close

I almost get the impression that the Government would prefer to let CIE and the railways eventually fade away, than grasp the nettle of breaking up CIE than develop a coherent surface transport policy including adequate funding for rail infrastructure and service based funding

The Nenagh branch, and Junction - Waterford, should have a five year plan tested with a train every hour and a half, widely advertised and at discounted fares, giving connections to get people to limerick, Waterford and Dublin and back at reasonable times, especially for students and commuters. After give years, if it hasn't worked, then shut them.

Ennis to Athenry will never come close to being economically viable, but a railway is a social service too. If enough people use it, a case can be made for funding it. If they don't, it can't, and it has to close, or at least be mothballed. And if mothballed, adjacent farmers told that if they destroy or move the boundaries, or build over it, their structures will be removed without notice, and they'll be billed for the demolition work!

In order to determine REAL demand, Ironroad Eireann must first provide a good service, at realistic speeds, for a period of several years at least.

I almost get the impression that the Government would prefer to let CIE and the railways eventually fade away, than grasp the nettle of breaking up CIE than develop a coherent surface transport policy including adequate funding for rail infrastructure and service based funding

Exactly. Just like in the late fifties, early seventies, etc etc......

Leaked report on future of IE leaked to Irish Times.

Not pleasant reading - warns of multiple line closures

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/iarnród-éireann-funding-crisis-puts-lines-at-risk-report-warns-1.2840355

If 'true' the piece paints a bleak picture. One might be forgiving for wondering if the leaked report is really about the closure of two lines rather than the extensive cuts it hints at.

:ROFL:

Seriously, there's something left to close? Experienced 2600 railcars yesterday, just to afford my daughter the experience of being on the 'train'. Awful things. Pretty quiet early morning but reasonably brisk custom in the mid-afternoon.

I doubt you're wrong, John. Little or nothing was done to develop a modern rail INFRASTRUCTURE when the governmental coffers were full , let alone now.

.... a railway is a social service too.

In order to determine REAL demand, Iarnrod Eireann must first provide a good service, at realistic speeds, for a period of several years at least.

Yes, but the holders of the purses things would have to subsidize it, whereas they'd acquire income in so many ways from forcing train travelers onto the roads

Edited by DiveController

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post

.... a railway is a social service too.

In order to determine REAL demand, Iarnrod Eireann must first provide a good service, at realistic speeds, for a period of several years at least.

Yes, but the holders of the purses things would have to subsidize it, whereas they'd acquire income in so many ways from forcing train travelers onto the roads

Quite right, Dive; same as many times before. That's what the Stormont Government did to the UTA.

these blue shirt bigshot polititions are clueless,

there driven everywhere and know nothing about public transport,

irish rail are putting no effort into the western rail corridoor

poor travel times along with poor uncomfortible rolling stock,

i travelled up saturday on a 2 car 2600 for 10 euro on-line,

2 hours 20 mins to galway is too slow.:confused:

these blue shirt bigshot polititions are clueless,

there driven everywhere and know nothing about public transport,

irish rail are putting no effort into the western rail corridoor

poor travel times along with poor uncomfortible rolling stock,

i travelled up saturday on a 2 car 2600 for 10 euro on-line,

2 hours 20 mins to galway is too slow.:confused:

Can I remind you all of the forum's rules, particularly #4?

[4] Please remember this message board is aimed at a general audience. Posting offensive or legally sensitive text, images, links, etc. is unacceptable. Discussion relating to religion or politics is also not permitted. The determination of what is classed as offensive, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to the moderating team. The moderating team reserves the right to edit or remove any post at any time.

We understand that there are ways in which railways and politics are inseparably intertwined so we do try to be lenient, but comments like that are beyond the boundaries. Please keep views on political parties and their members out of the discussion. Cheers!

Edited by Garfield

A railway can indeed be a vital social service on some routes, and within reasonable parameters some services should be subsidised to a degree. Many of our European cousins do this and find a way of circumventing EU state aid rules, especially the French who have always had a very enlightened view of national infrastructure. The new motorways have made non-stop intercity express bus routes very attractive and indeed many city to city journeys are now significantly faster door to door by road. The French model doesn't necessarily scale down to the small geographical size of Ireland nor our tiny population. But, I like the sound of JB's plan. Obscure routes may need time to build more traffic volume and that means services scheduled to suit commuters, not just middle of the day time tables.

Imagine if the Waterford to limerick service had a , shock horror , Sunday service , so that people could return home from their weekend travel. Of course that requires a train crew and paying people to open level crossings , but hey let's not upset people by actually trying to run a service

It's a disgraceful carry on , two trains a day each way at times that were set by the boat , and it doesn't even connect to the bloody boat anymore.

It's just a tatic IE does, keep a line in Cinderella status and pull it out a d say ' it'll have to close "