Irish Rail has must warn customers to 'mind the gap' - court says

Rate this topic

What has happened to - Common Sense - Self Preservation - Personal Observation - Awareness of your surroundings - Self Awareness - looking after, and caring for ones-self?

It would appear we are no longer responsible for our own actions and our own stupidity. This person was responsible for his actions. He alighting at the wrong Station. Had he not done so, this incident would not have occurred! He and only he is responsible for his action and self-inflicted injury. The Law is more of an Ass nowadays. This individual should have been prosecuted for Trespass upon Railway Property.

I can see it coming - Glass screens with protective doors. Doors that open and close in parallel with a trains door once the train has come to a complete standstill. Oh, and a retractable ramp from platform to the door of the train.

What has happened to - Common Sense - Self Preservation - Personal Observation - Awareness of your surroundings - Self Awareness - looking after, and caring for ones-self?

It would appear we are no longer responsible for our own actions and our own stupidity. This person was responsible for his actions. He alighting at the wrong Station. Had he not done so, this incident would not have occurred! He and only he is responsible for his action and self-inflicted injury. The Law is more of an Ass nowadays. This individual should have been prosecuted for Trespass upon Railway Property.

I can see it coming - Glass screens with protective doors. Doors that open and close in parallel with a trains door once the train has come to a complete standstill. Oh, and a retractable ramp from platform to the door of the train.

PSDs-JLE.jpg

Irish Rail's new Station and Train Announcement! -

"Mind the Doors and Band Together when Alighting and Boarding this Train please."

"Mind the Gap" - Were Irish Rail to make this announcement, might they then be taken to Court by a well known Retailer?

Business is fraught with difficulties is it not?

Edited by Old Blarney

I hate this sort of nanny nonsense but that being said, I boarded a 22k class with my young daughter at Cork Kent during the week and noticed that gap was quite wide, so there is certainly some risk for children, seniors and in situations where crowding occurs. It's probably not possible to warn passengers that are boarding but yes an automated warring could be issued for alighting passengers. On the day , I wondered why such modern rolling stock could not be fitted with step/ramp that opens to meet any platform. If a robotic milker can find a teat on a cow, surely a a step could find a platform! It's not that hard

• 2 weeks later...

What sort of inane rubbish is going to be thrown at us next? "Due to movement of the train, all customers are requested to leave the train before departure". When will some supreme court decide enough is enough!!

"Customers are advised that some train stations may contain platforms. Please stay clear of all platforms in case you fall off"

"Customers are requested not to eat their tickets, as they may contain traces of nuts" - i.e. the half-wits who make careers out of finding ways to (a) be stupid, (b) invent ever more ridiculous rules, purporting to be the all-encompassing dictatorial H & S stuff, and © be offended.

What sort of inane rubbish is going to be thrown at us next? "Due to movement of the train, all customers are requested to leave the train before departure". When will some supreme court decide enough is enough!!

"Customers are advised that some train stations may contain platforms. Please stay clear of all platforms in case you fall off"

"Customers are requested not to eat their tickets, as they may contain traces of nuts" - i.e. the half-wits who make careers out of finding ways to (a) be stupid, (b) invent ever more ridiculous rules, purporting to be the all-encompassing dictatorial H & S stuff, and © be offended.

I think this chap may have suffered on the rails...

[video=youtube;d4n-amRJeyw]