West Clare Railway?

Rate this topic

billyboy

Hi lads,

I loaded up the clan and heading to Kilkee for a bit of sea air with a drop into the West Clare railway at Moyasta to look around and see the IE Locos and Rolling stocking there.

They've a 121,two 141s but hard to tell with the tarpauline covering them , an A class ( I think) a push -pull set DVT and a few MK 3 coaches but all are pretty much abandoned by the looks of it which is a bloody shame anybody know whats going on out there?

Bill

Hi lads,

I loaded up the clan and heading to Kilkee for a bit of sea air with a drop into the West Clare railway at Moyasta to look around and see the IE Locos and Rolling stocking there.

They've a 121,two 141s but hard to tell with the tarpauline covering them , an A class ( I think) a push -pull set DVT and a few MK 3 coaches but all are pretty much abandoned by the looks of it which is a bloody shame anybody know whats going on out there?

Bill

I think the mantra for anyone heading down to Moyasta is "call in advance" as there's only a small band of volunteers keeping the place ticking over and they're not always there. From what I hear, a planning application has been submited for a shed/museum which will house the stock.

The tarpaulin may obscure the view of the stock but it's a necessity, especially around that neck of the woods where the sea air would eat away at the metal in no time.

A tarp will only stop rain getting in, it won't stop salt laden sea air circulating around under the tarp.

Indeed, but still better than being left exposed. The only real solution will be to house them, and to that end let's hope planning permission for the new building is approved and it progresses quickly.

I didn't realise Moyasta was so close to Kilrush Creek. Is the air in Moyasta that salty (i.e. inlet off estuary with high fresh water content)? I suppose the prevailing SW winds are blowing off the inlet over the stock. As Patrick says a cover still better than being fully exposed. Here's hoping they eventually get a planning permission that's feasible. At least those locos were saved from the cutting torch and hopefully will not deteriorate beyond a restorable state before they are dry housed.

Moyasta is about 10 minutes from Kilkee by car depending on how fast you tend to drive :) there may be salt corrosion but I'm no expert on that. I hope they get the building , as for planning permission I doubt the neighbours would mind but who knows.

It'd be good to see the rolling stock on static display or even running.