Worsley works or Silver fox G class

Rate this topic

Junctionmad

From what i remember the Worley one comes with castings for the axleboxes/springs.The rounded nose is no problem i just used about four thicknesses of plasticard laminated together,the trick is to use alternate black and whits plastic which makes it easier to see how the compound curve is shapeing up(works well on railcar roofs as well).Its a good kit and pretty easy to do.Andy.

From what i remember the Worley one comes with castings for the axleboxes/springs.The rounded nose is no problem i just used about four thicknesses of plasticard laminated together,the trick is to use alternate black and whits plastic which makes it easier to see how the compound curve is shapeing up(works well on railcar roofs as well).Its a good kit and pretty easy to do.Andy.

I think the DC Kits G Class may be a better option than the Worsley Works or Silver Fox models. The master for the DC Kits loco were prepared by Mike Edge and has a higher level of detail and a better motor bogie than the Silver Fox model. Although more expensive the Black Beetle with a 27:1 gear ratio would be a much better option for a shunting loco than a Spud or standard 15:1 Blackbeetle

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/kits_modelling/irish_railways_inc_murphy_models_rtr_kits_transfers/cie_irish_rail_class_g_shunter.php

DC G Class.png

I built a model of G Class using the Worsley Works parts several years ago. I had to carry out quite major modifications to the cab due to a design error in the kit. Basically the position of the cab doors and windows were transposed on the one piece cab fret and it was necessary to cut out the cab sides with a piercing saw then swap them around after 1st assembling the cab.

Worsley Works appear to have modified the artwork in response to the problem. The witness marks to the cuts are visible on the photo of Mike Edge’s Worsley G but not on Patrick Quinns loco.

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pages/Image_4mm_Deutz.htm

I think the DC Kits G Class may be a better option than the Worsley Works or Silver Fox models. The master for the DC Kits loco were prepared by Mike Edge and has a higher level of detail and a better motor bogie than the Silver Fox model. Although more expensive the Black Beetle with a 27:1 gear ratio would be a much better option for a shunting loco than a Spud or standard 15:1 Blackbeetle

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/kits_modelling/irish_railways_inc_murphy_models_rtr_kits_transfers/cie_irish_rail_class_g_shunter.php

attachment.php?attachmentid=25736&stc=1

What people may not know is that DC Kits can be a bit erratic these days when it comes to delivery or even simple customer service, as is evident from this thread. If they have no time to pick up the phone, how can you be sure you'll get your order?

What people may not know is that DC Kits can be a bit erratic these days when it comes to delivery or even simple customer service, as is evident from this thread. If they have no time to pick up the phone, how can you be sure you'll get your order?

Interesting - I found DC Kits very responsive to my recent service requests last month. Same day replies.

Have to agree with Horse here, (as I generally do), Worsley all day long. SF tends for quantity, not quality alas.

Few photos of the prototype to assist.

(My missus is from that neck of the woods, just in case anyone's getting stray ideas....)

No one is buying that... :P But I was hoping it was the A you went to photograph when I heard you were there... :((

Thanks Richie , fab photos. I was wondering about those holes in the frame, so they really show that feature well

Ps. If anyone has being following the threads on rmweb and elsewhere on the little 030 mitsumi motors. I just received 10 from China and they are a very sweet little motor for about a 1€ each !! ( sone guy in the uk is trying to get £7 each for them ! )

Thanks Richie , fab photos. I was wondering about those holes in the frame, so they really show that feature well

Ps. If anyone has being following the threads on rmweb and elsewhere on the little 030 mitsumi motors. I just received 10 from China and they are a very sweet little motor for about a 1€ each !! ( sone guy in the uk is trying to get £7 each for them ! )

What are they useful for?

attachment.php?attachmentid=25773&stc=1

1 piece frames and horizontal frame spacers

The Worsley Works set of parts is supplied with a simple fold up chassis and pair of nylon gears. The chassis is designed for 21mm gauge & one of the vertical frame spacers appears to be designed as a motor mount.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25774&stc=1

I originally motorised the loco using a Black Beetle motor bogie, which I have since 'borrowed" to motorise a SSM Wickham trolley.

Whenever I get round to it I will look at the option of fitting a layshaft and 2:1 spur gearing to the Worsley Works chassis, or simply order a 21mm gauge 28:1 Black Beetle from Steam Era Models.

Its simple enough to build a G611 using the Worsley Works parts, steps, marker lights, possibly exhaust housing and other detail parts can be assembled from brass strip of tube. I started to build a G601 out of plasticard but never got round to forming the engine access panels, this loco was powered by a Tenshodo Spud totally unsuitable for a small shunting loco.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25775&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=25776&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=25777&stc=1

There I still quite a bit of work to complete G617 to an acceptable standard, better to make a fresh start on G601

IMG_0150 (2).jpg

IMG_0149 (2).jpg

IMG_0144 (2).jpg

IMG_0145 (2).jpg

IMG_0147 (2).jpg

Edited by Mayner

The G617 is a lovely little job. It might be worth checking if the roof profile of the g601 is correct - from the photos it looks a little flat? Its front grille is a bit small too.

The photos were intended to show the nature of the Worsley Works chassis and provide a comparison between the two batches of locos.

The G601 was built in plasticard several years before the Worsley Works G Class came on the scene.

If I ever get round to it I would use the Worsley Works engine housing, frames and Bufferbeams as a basis for a G601 with a new running board and cab, rather than try and improve the existing model.

When it will ever be done is another question of a backlog of repairs and unfinished kits that will take years to complete, the call of large scale rtr is very strong by comparison.

Got ya! Excellent comparison.

I made a G out of cardboard in my teens - I gave it away eventually. It wasn't anything like as good as any scratch built one I've seen, as I had no plans to work off and only poor photos of a couple I saw in Inchicore. I misread your post, thinking the 601 was a kit of some sort.