Train journeys around the world

Rate this topic

Peter

Can anyone recommend train journeys they have taken?

I have been on the Glacier Express, Bernina Express, ICE around Switzerland, taken the train up the Jungfraujoch, reunification express from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City, train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, TranzAlpine in New Zealand.

I'd love to take the Californian Zephyr across the US.

Visited Sri Lanka a few years ago, and it has a wonderful British built system that runs from the coast up into the mountains! It's broad gauge, and outside of the main centres still mostly semaphore signalling. Stock is slowly being upgraded to Indian built multiple units, but when I was there 3 years ago there were plenty of diesels, including hunslet shunters, and mixed freights, along with some curious pwd consists. I know I've photos somewhere, maybe on an older laptop, I'll do my best to find them!

Visited Sri Lanka a few years ago, and it has a wonderful British built system that runs from the coast up into the mountains! It's broad gauge, and outside of the main centres still mostly semaphore signalling. Stock is slowly being upgraded to Indian built multiple units, but when I was there 3 years ago there were plenty of diesels, including hunslet shunters, and mixed freights, along with some curious pwd consists. I know I've photos somewhere, maybe on an older laptop, I'll do my best to find them!

Two of NIR's old DH class shunters are in service there at a cement plant owned by Holcim, having being rebuilt and re-gauged.