Sign in to follow this  
Mayner

Narrow Gauge in the Rockies not quite

The garden railway is taking on more and more of a DRGW/RGS theme with structures and rolling stock

IMG_0230 (2).jpg

Finally added a water tower to the main station after 8 years! Picked up a Piko water tower on e-bay nicely weathered.

IMG_0234 (2).jpg

RGS Motor #4 on the passenger/mail run. This is a brass model produced by Accucraft about 8 years ago converted to on board battery 24GH RC control.

IMG_0241 (2).jpg

I need to sort out some 1:20.5 figures.

Our local garden railway group recently had an operating day on the railway. The turnout was relatively small but we managed to keep three trains running on the single line with one running in the opposite direction just to make things interesting. Visiting locos & trains included a Battery powered RC Bachmann DRGWR C19 2-8-0 & 3 truck Shay with log trains and a live steam Roundhouse Fowler 0-6-2. Passenger-mail services was operated by my battery powered RC RGS Motor 4. We attempted to run a 4th train a RGS freight behind a K27 Mudhen but things got a little congested and we ended up parking it out of the way on the High Line.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26278&stc=1

#346 & #348 arriving with a freight 346 is a Bachmann C19 348 is a re-numbered Accucraft C16 masquerading as a C19. Staple motive power on RGS freights behind the arrival of the C27 2-8-2s in the late 1930s.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26279&stc=1

RGS Motor 6 looking pretty as mechanics try and figure out why it wont run with the track power off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26280&stc=1

A plume of steam is just about detectible from the Roundhouse Fowler

attachment.php?attachmentid=26281&stc=1

Things getting a little congested 3 way meet between RGS Motor #4 DRGWR #346 & Shay hauled log train. Raynor is waiting for #346 to clear the main line as #346 overtakes Andy's Shay with a train of log disconnects

attachment.php?attachmentid=26282&stc=1

Shay on log train RGS freight just about visible in background. The logs are natural running on LGB disconnects.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26283&stc=1

Ian lines the road for a meet between #346 & RGS #4

Edited by Mayner

Not quite sure what happen to the photos in the last post: So here goes

IMG_1717 (2).jpg

DRGWR #346 & 348

IMG_1709 (2).jpg

RGS Works Motor #6

This is a Berlyn Locomotive Works brass model dating from 1999 currently track power I am planning to fit this with a stay alive DCC chip.

IMG_1715 (2).jpg

Roundhouse Fowler

IMG_1730 (2).jpg

Motor #4 has backed into a spur to allow #346 to overtake the Shay hauled log train

IMG_1748 (2).jpg

Setting the road for #4 to pass train #346

IMG_1749 (2).jpg

#4 takes the siding to pass #346

IMG_1751 (2).jpg

Shay hauled log train on the main line RGS freight just about visible on the "high line"

Did'nt manage to get much done on the modelling front over the Christmas apart from some large scale track maintenance and fitting one of the locos with a Mylocosound sound card. Not 100% happy with the whistle, but reasonably happy with the chuff, safety valve and air pump sounds.

I managed to complete some of the long list of half finished jobs over the Christmas and holidays including re-instating DCC trackpower on the garden railway and tidying up the area around the loco yard. Hopefully this will free up time at some stage to finally start an Irish layout in the garage.

464 & 20 on shed at Jackson City.jpg

464 on turntable 20 on shed.

The turntable works nicely but is a tight fit for 464. Basically a length of decking pached on washers pivoting on a coach screw

One of the jobs was to convert my old Bachmann 4-6-0 to on board battery control and a repaint in satin black as my stash of Floquil Dirty Black with its nice bulish tinge had finally run out. The loco derailed while on test rolled over and I ended up having to re-build the cab. I am planning to decal and varnish the loco before weathering

jackson City Water Tower & Loco yard.jpg

Loco yard

I have tidied up this area ballasting the track with 6-8mm washed pebble and levelling the area between the lines with screenings. The whole lot is then glued with a 50/50 concrete bonding agent water mix with a drop of isopropyl just like in the small scale.

This should reduce the build up of leaves and debris between the tracks and prevent the stone being washed away by rain. I am planning to build a coal tower beside the little shed which has stood up to 7-8 years in the weather

We had a bit of a flood on Friday night flooding most of the garden.

floods 1.jpg

floods 3.jpg

A bit wet for running trains but a excellent opportunity to operate an Inland Waterway service like the Grand Canal Company in the old days.

Tugboat.jpg

Cruise ship.jpg

The tug boat made it through the shallows while the Cruise Ship kept to deeper water.

Most of the flooding had receded by mid afternoon ready for the next rain storm!

We are on a silt soil on top of a layer of ash from the Taupo Eruption which does not drain well, the main reason for building the railway on a raised timber foundation than earthworks.

We are on a silt soil on top of a layer of ash from the Taupo Eruption which does not drain well, the main reason for building the railway on a raised timber foundation than earthworks.

If only they'd built Limerick-Ennis like that...

Sometimes I run the train when I get home in the evening after work. Last night I suddenly realised the train was still out in the garden and it was getting dark:rolleyes:

IMG_1459.JPG

The Jackson County like the Rio Grande Southern seems to hire locos and freight cars from the DRGW to move heavy seasonal freight traffic.

This was our 1st weekend of winter, and we ran our 1st freight train in about a month after a lot of leaf sweeping/blowing/shredding and a new radio transmitter from RCS in Australia.

DSCF5194 (2).jpg

Jackson City DRGW K27 #464 arrives with stock cars and box cars from Placerville

#464 was regularly hired to the RGS during the late 1940s early 50s traffic ore in boxcars from local mines and sheep during the fall stock rush. Sometimes up to 3 locos were needed to move heavy stock or ore trains.

DSCF5197 (2).jpg

Busy day at Jackson City RGS Motor #4 arrives with the trice weekly mail and express.

The RGS Geese were converted from late 1920s Pierce Arrow Limousines and more or less kept the railroad running into the late 1940s. Surprisingly most of the fleet survive and several are runners!

Motor #4 is an Accucraft model bought second hand from the UK and is fitted with RCS battery radio remote control system and a Phoenix sound system. In classical RGS/County Donegal fashion the radio control system was salvaged from a scrapped loco

John, that last shot of the Goose and 464 is brilliant. The stock and box cars receding down the slope make the photo, or they do for me!

Having converted the Bachmann Big Haulier to on board battery control it was difficult to resist running a double headed freight with the modified Bachmann Connie 2-8-0. The 4-6-0 is just about capable of pulling 5 cars and caboose without slipping the 2-8-0 can manage 8 the 2-8-2 12 over my hilly line.

IMG_2364.JPG

Locos on shed waiting departure this is the 1st time I had two battery powered locos on shed.

DSCF5209 (2).jpg

#20 turned awaiting departure

The turntable is a piece of decking timber that pivots on a coach screw. I had intended to replace the timber deck with a metal bridge and proper brass pivot but the current set up works and is trouble free.

The locos was modified to resemble RGS 20 about 5-6 years ago with new plasticard cab, lowered running board, shortened smokebox deeper tender tank, detail fittings include Ozark Miniatures classification lights and builders plates.

IMG_2367.JPG

Locos backing down I have got to finish the plumbing from the tender airreceivers and tone down the paintwork on No 20 and order some decals!

IMG_2390.JPG

Double headed train taking the High Line at the Junction. The gondolas are cut in between the locos to help spread the weight on weak bridges/trestles. I am planning to add a wye track in the area to the right of the caboose for turning locos & trains to add more operating interest.

IMG_2393.JPG

Doubleheader on the 4% grade A bit like a 60 Class or D14 doubleheading with a J15 the locos seem to run well together once the 4-6-0 is leading. I was rather surprised when #20 managed 6 heavy 1:20.3 scale freight cars on the 4% though the morning was dry and sunny!

Very nice. Looks super John. Looking at that wonderful outdoor layout, the maintenance required to keep track clear on a garden railway seems more that worth the effort. Model train services back here in Ireland seem virtually suspended for the summer season especially with the heat wave here now. Weather too nice to be cooped up indoors, but not in your case. :)

Edited by Noel

We had what will probably be the last of our local groups running days at the beginning of December mainly as a result of a combination of fewer people able to host meetings and outside pressures. Summer arrived early despite a cold wet spring one week I was literally wading through mud the next week the ground cracking up!

One hardy soul turned up and helped to operate trains along with my daughter, while I acted as dispatcher/trouble shooter! IMG_3873.JPG.2cabba2016ea94161ca92097b2bea4f0.JPG

We started out with two short steam (battery RC!) controlled freights and an IP Engineering Tralee & Dingle Inspection Railcar

IMG_3876.JPG.fa9f4ec9f883727be5c18b142916d247.JPG

Raynor & Skye crossing a general freight and a stock train on the oldest section of the railway laid in October-November 2007

IMG_3880.JPG.a12044cebee2dd5d0aba231b6a0082fe.JPG

DRGW 348 crossing the T&D inspection car

Arranging meets could be tricky as the railcar was basically running uncontrolled and superior over the freights.

IMG_3883.JPG.53bc2c8e0affb5082a25882bc0293b3d.JPG

In typical Rio Grande Southern fashion we had a break down with a wheel literally falling off RGS  loco 20. This happened on a few occasions with the Galloping Goose railcars, steam locos were more likely to de-rail their tenders. In reality the insulated muffs on the wheel sets split and failed after 7-8 years service in main line use.

IMG_3894.JPG.faa194e83da9c01f3877c43d5084ba18.JPG

We managed a Goose Fest for the railfans though the Bachmann Railtruck No1 is a non-runner with a failed final drive and works goose No6 the re-incarnation of RGS No 1 track power only while No 4 holds down the mail contract which just about keeps the line out of the scrappers hands.

IMG_3897.JPG.647bab1ca783e6d92b858dc8b0edec47.JPG

No 20s failure turned out to be an opportunity to call out DRGW K27 Mudhen 464 to haul the combined freight and stock train home in double quick time without having to "double the hill" on the high line to get all the stock back to the shed.

IMG_3884.JPG

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

Wonderful photos John.  There is something special about a garden railway, especially in a country where the climate suits.  The railway looks fabulous.

On 12/22/2017 at 9:43 PM, Noel said:

Wonderful photos John.  There is something special about a garden railway, especially in a country where the climate suits.  The railway looks fabulous.

Climate in the Waikato is not a lot different to Ireland or the UK slightly warmer all year round and similar level of rainfall to the West which leads to everything left outside being covered in moss and mould which does not look right for a railroad set in semi desert country.

There are plenty of garden railways in parts of the UK that enjoy extremes of heat and cold including Scotland and the North East, garden railway modelers tend to be a hardy lot, the limiting factor is more being able to afford and maintain a house with a largish garden. While the investment in track and rolling stock is very high in comparison to building an indoor layout, building a purpose built layout room and workshop would probably have cost as much.

Managed to play trains on Christmas day, while daughter was busy assembling her Lego and wife and mother in law taking it easy all in all a very relaxing day (turkey had a luck escape!!)

Operation was reasonably trouble free the only glitch was C19 -2-8-0 348 stalling with 5 cars on the 4% grade to the garden shed. The problem was solved by 348 setting out 2 cars at the Junction for collection by K27 2-8-2 464 with a following freight. 348 then assisted 464 on the 4%

The video was filmed with a 7 year old FujiPix S5700 on a tripod not sure whether I would have got better resolution with my I Phone

• Like 2