WARLEY NEC Birmingham

Rate this topic

leslie10646

As usual, the Irish Railway Record Society will have a stand at the NEC this weekend - Stand D056.

Richard McLachlan will be showing his famed Carriage and Loco diagram books produced from the IRRS Archive - more than thirty sets now available. Invaluable to the Modeller.

We will also be selling a wide range of Railway books - new and secondhand plus out of print delights. I will also have a supply of old, hard to get IRRS Journals.

John Beaumont may be launching his eagerly-awaited North Kerry book in Foynes on Saturday, but if you come to my stand on Saturday morning, you'll see it before his audience does, as Colourpoint has managed to get a supply to me! It's at my "other address", otherwise, I'd tell you how good it is!!!!

As well as the undoubted attraction of meeting Richard and I, there are not one but TWO Irish layouts to enjoy.

Colm, Ken and Ian will be showing the remarkable Bleach Green (Stand C56). I understand that at enormous expense, Colm has engaged the services of Lord White of Old Blarney to regale the passers-by with tales of Bleach Green's Fairy Glen and other equally unbelievable "facts". If you haven't seen the layout, don't miss this rare opportunity to see it now.

Finally, the affable Andy Cundick, Master Modeller of the Obscure Line will have Castlederg there - a brilliant depiction of the tramway which once joined that little town to the Great Northern Derry Line. Stand B16A.

Do drop by and say "Hi".

Leslie

Leslie

Any chance that you will be bringing along some of your kits for sale. I will be coming on the Sunday and I would be particularly interested in the Bulleid open wagon and the H van.

Many thanks.

Stephen

So sorry, Steve, I am on a free Society stand - so only agreed commercial activity (Irish Books like John's North Kerry book, for example). Come and see me and we'll sort out a sale by post.

Leslie

I remember one year going to Warley from Belper (where I lived at the time). At this time the Clothes Show Live was on (and something else from memory). Late service from Belper (unstaffed and no ticket machines, to purchase at Derby) to Derby, about a two minute connection (so no time to actually buy the tickets), tried to purchase of the Virgin guard, he said he would get back to us. Didn't see him again. No passenger stop at New Street either. Luggage rack was comfy though! Return trip was via free upgrade to First Class due to crowding ;)

Some great layouts there, and bargins. Picked upo a Farish 20 there that time and a starter pack with 25322 Tamworth Castle in it. Good times!

I think the most impressive setup was the Dutch layout. One guy ran the whole thing from his computer with no derailments or fingers of god, the layout featured both layout sound and dcc loco sound and was so big ( the train station was to scale length ) you felt like you were one one of the platforms scanning into the distance to see the trains

Full working signals , awesome slow speed running and a joy to watch

Edited by Junctionmad

[ATTACH]26037[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26038[/ATTACH]

Nice pics ttc - you DID note that Bleach Green was opposite another flyover junction layout? As you've illustrated.

Pity about all the knitting on the modern layout! But it did have the plus of lots of trains pouring through.

As ever lots of good things on Bleach Green. I particularly liked Colm's depiction of Railcar No.4.

Good to see some of you today. Nearly sold out of John's new book. Sad that David and Ivan have this jaded opinion of the show - the day to go is Sunday when it's much more civilised!

Leslie

.... Sad that David and Ivan have this jaded opinion of the show - the day to go is Sunday when it's much more civilised!

The older I get, the less I like huge crowds. Local finescale shows are the only ones I go to, so that's just two a year.

Warley reminds me of the main railway station in Mumbai...at rush hour.

Back from Warley and I think my feet have recovered now! It was good to meet new faces and put names to them. Spent an enjoyable hour with Leslie and Richard at the IRRS stand and it was good to meet Kieran Laggan of that famous junction.

Bleach Green fulfilled all its promises and Andy Cundicks Castlederg and Victoria Bridge is excellent. Very high standard of layouts but some did not move very often but I did come home a bit trained out. :trains:

Back from Warley and I think my feet have recovered now! It was good to meet new faces and put names to them. Spent an enjoyable hour with Leslie and Richard at the IRRS stand and it was good to meet Kieran Laggan of that famous junction.

Good to meet you, too, Mick.

In my opinion, the great thing about Warley IS the opportunity to meet loads of people you would not otherwise meet from one year's end to the next. Two close pals are very ill, so it was a joy to see them looking better and with an improved prognosis for their future well-being.

Richard was kept busy talking about (and selling) his famous archival drawings, I sold out of John and Barry's great new book and between us, we signed up four new members for the IRRS.

A weekend well spent!

Leslie

PS Of course, I had the fun of gloating a little when Colm and Co ran trains almost entirely consisting of my wagons!!!! Nice models of the Turf Burner and a Ballycastle Railway 2-4-2 tank where there to see, as well!

I did get a chuckle, not sure why, when I saw all those spoil wagons heaving across the points on Bleach Green on some of the youtube videos. Delighted to see Mr. Lagan getting stuck in with a layout, the man just talks and talks, would be lovely if he did a layout :P

Top trumps to all involved, well and truly deserving of an award. Great to see GNR(I) really socking it to the lads on the other side of the ditch!!!