CIE A9 Dungarvan to Waterford 1966

Rate this topic

A note for those modelling the black'n'tan 1960s. No brown wagons. Brown only appeared from about 1970.

Needless to say, in brown or grey livery, NO black underframes, ever! ''Tis akin to painting 171 or even an ICR tartan and pink, and no more accurate......

Was brown/bauxite the standard in the 1970s or for fitted vans only when the were retrofitted with brakes?

Was brown/bauxite the standard in the 1970s or for fitted vans only when the were retrofitted with brakes?

Red oxide was standard for wagons and vans not just fitted stock. The colour is quite different from the Bauxite used in the UK which weathers to a much darker colour.

I think the 4 wagons on the cattle bank siding in Kilmacthomas may be bulk grain wagons for Flavahan's cereal factory.

I was lucky enough to travel over the line on an IRRS special immediately before the line closed and walked through Durrow Tunnel and over the viaduct about 15 years ago.

A note for those modelling the black'n'tan 1960s. No brown wagons. Brown only appeared from about 1970.

Needless to say, in brown or grey livery, NO black underframes, ever! ''Tis akin to painting 171 or even an ICR tartan and pink, and no more accurate......

Worth bearing in mind - very easy to get these details wrong starting with UK models.

I think the 4 wagons on the cattle bank siding in Kilmacthomas may be bulk grain wagons for Flavahan's cereal factory.

Thanks John, I may now have an excuse to run grain hoppers on my layout! Does anyone know if Flavahins had a private siding and where the grain shipments originated from?

Worth bearing in mind - very easy to get these details wrong starting with UK models.

Exactly - black ironwork was also seen on quite a few British wagons, but not here. Naturally, Hornby stuff, in imitating BR, will often have black chassis but as mentioned this is wrong for Ireland. Further to the question above, yes, it was about 1970 that brown started to appear. The only wagons never painted brown were the corrugated opens, not until they were "double stacked" latterly for beet.

Kilmacthomas would be a spectacular basis for a scenic layout with the railway carried on two viaducts above the town and the Commeragh Mountain background, perhaps if you find more room in the basement Patrick :)

The wagons appear to be on the cattle bank siding between the two viaducts, the one nearest the running line appears to have a ladder at one end like the H van bulk grain conversions. I don't think Flahavans a private siding but are mentioned in Irish Railfans News as a major shipper, possibly grain in and porridge out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26088&stc=1

Kilmacthomas.jpg

Kilmacthomas would be a spectacular basis for a scenic layout with the railway carried on two viaducts above the town and the Commeragh Mountain background, perhaps if you find more room in the basement Patrick :)

The wagons appear to be on the cattle bank siding between the two viaducts, the one nearest the running line appears to have a ladder at one end like the H van bulk grain conversions. I don't think Flahavans a private siding but are mentioned in Irish Railfans News as a major shipper, possibly grain in and porridge out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26088&stc=1

Ballbeg was developed using ideas from Kilmacthomas in mind...