Steam train failed at Grand Canal Dock.

Rate this topic

And look at the twitter comments from the Great Unwashed on the darts. Crowd of petty minded scrooge whingers. Stuff 'em and their money-grubbing compo culture refunds. They should just sit there and stare blankly at their iphones like they normally do.

Have you considered a job in IÉ's PR department?

Have you considered a job in IÉ's PR department?

They couldn't afford me, Broithe!

To be fair, I heard tonight that among the trains delayed was the already VERY pedestrian up Rosslare, which must have arrived some hour and a half late. To be fair to anyone on board that....stuck maybe 4.5 hours in a stuffy overheated ICR with stale ICR air, can't be anyone's idea of a fun day!

Low steam pressure is reported. As a random point, this is the 3rd steam failure / difficulty this year (4 setting the world on fire in May, hot bearings in Sallins and this, plus last year's efforts on the Santa)

The issue is that under the terms of carriage the 'normal' passengers are entitled to refunds. I've waived that a few times (like when I delayed myself to get a Mark 4 set to college one day due to a failure). This issue for IÉ is that they now have to pay refunds for passengers through no fault of their own, but another Railway Undertaking's failure.

Now from an enthusiast perspective I wouldn't want this to happen, but at some point from an economic point it must, even if it covers a little bit of the cost. The RPSI (and Belmond [or anyone else], when they become a RU) should pay for delay minutes, up to a sensible point. In the UK the cap is £5,000 for heritage operators. When a delay minute costs between £160 and £300, the cap is reached quickly. A recent failure in the UK that I can place my hand to caused 7140 delay minutes. That's over a million pounds (£1,142,400 to be exact @ £160/min). Whilst the financial gain for IÉ may be small, it probably would give the RPSI something to think about planning wise.

And look at the twitter comments from the Great Unwashed on the darts. Crowd of petty minded scrooge whingers. Stuff 'em and their money-grubbing compo culture refunds. They should just sit there and stare blankly at their iphones like they normally do.

In fairness I can see two two sides to this coin. Hopefully this will not become a regular occurrence as it might jeopardise steam specials in the future or impose severe restrictions. If I was late for an appointment due a Dart delay I too would not be best pleased.

Yes, it was lack of steam.

One possible solution is to operate Santas out to M3 Car Park Pace, or whatever they call that halt near Dunboyne, where at least it's out of the way.

However, IE might bear in mind that if ever a system is brought into being which involves one operator having to compensate the other, the number of minutes of delay caused by the RPSI to their trains, is heavily outweighed by the number of minutes where the RPSI is delayed by IE issues! And we tend not to hear much about that...

This year's May tour at Claremorris, for example.

Yours sincerely

Disgruntled, Bunclody.

However, IE might bear in mind that if ever a system is brought into being which involves one operator having to compensate the other, the number of minutes of delay caused by the RPSI to their trains, is heavily outweighed by the number of minutes where the RPSI is delayed by IE issues! And we tend not to hear much about that...

This year's May tour at Claremorris, for example.

Yours sincerely

Disgruntled, Bunclody.

Of course it works both ways - but I don't think the time lost through IE delays is more than those lost through RPSI delays. This year's May tour caused extensive damage in Offaly, for example, which IE footed the bill (I believe). Plus in this case [yesterday], more damage was done again through sourcing extra sets to cover Dart links north of Connolly. Loading coal 10-20 minutes before departure time at the start of the day isn't overly good to avoid delays!

M3 however is a good idea

Over a season, Hurricane, the delays do work out in favour of the RPSI. However, the real issue is a combination of intelligent planning of timetable paths, crew familiarity with relevant engines, and mechanical reliability.

Over the years the RPSI has built a strong and successful relationship with first the UTA, then CIE, then NIR and now IE. Long may it last - it's actually at its best in recent years.

......yours hopefully

Disgruntled, Corofin.

Edited by jhb171achill

Not so, Ed, not so at all. If anything, the RPSI hides its light a little too much under the bushel. As I said, it's a statement of fact that nothing much is said (and this is a good tactful policy by the RPSI) when IE / NIR delays cause an RPSI train to be late. An RPSI customer has as much right to get what they paid for as a Christmas shopper.

Far from "playing trains", the RPSI is a professional operation (by necessity, of course). It brushes nothing whatever "under the carpet", let alone "as usual".

My own initial remarks were based on the attitude of some of the public complainants, rather than the substance of their complaint, though that's not the whole issue, of course.

The society is also, as you know well, operated by volunteers whose annual Christmas faces a lot more disruption than Mr & Mrs Family going shopping and being delayed an hour. Not to trivialise that, especially if you have three whinging tired hungry children in tow (been there, got the t shirt!), it is these people who single handedly keep operating steam alive on the main line (along with their cousins at Downpatrick in a branch line sense). In many other countries, the state takes an involvement in preserving heritage. Here, the entire burden falls on voluntary groups, as we live on an island where the average public don't give a toss about anything heritage orientated, let along local representatives. We should be very thankful that these volunteers do so, and support them rather than witter on about compensation and slaps on wrists...

Yours etc.

Disgruntled,

Magherafelt.

blaine, my point is, the r.p.s.i bring something special to the table

that is enjoyed by hundreds at christmas, these specials are sold out

since august, it is a huge undertaking, i dont think most sensible people

would like the r.p.s.i punished? these people give up their time

too give these special moments.:)

blaine, my point is, the r.p.s.i bring something special to the table

that is enjoyed by hundreds at christmas, these specials are sold out

since august, it is a huge undertaking, i dont think most sensible people

would like the r.p.s.i punished? these people give up their time

too give these special moments.:)

Correct, Craven. Ed, I know your kettle gives you much pleasure, but that's maybe not what the public want.... :-)

Yours, etc.,

Disgruntled,

Rathgar

I became greatly gruntled last night. First, I finally completed the main text of "Rails Through Connemara", the story of the Clifden line. Then I went to the IRRS Christmas evening, to find that "Rails Through North Kerry" is selling well, so wot with the season that's in it, I had to go on the lash and see my trad musician friends. Into me leaba at 5......

Yours faithfully

Gruntled

Lisnaskea