MM201 Erratic running

Rate this question

Sulzer201

Question

Hi all,

I gave my MM201, 222 a run (it has not had a run in ages), this eve on my small layout. The power supply is through a basic Hornby DC controller, the loco was chipped in the past but I now only bother running any of the locos on the DC as I find it fine for what I want in a small set up. The problem seems to be that the loco runs for a circuit or two of the layout then slows to a stop. It is very like it is causing a short as I have to disconnect and then reconnect the power supply before she will run again. I removed the dcc chip and tried running her with a blanking plate, in all cases she runs for a short time then stops. Would anyone have any ideas or suggestions about the possible problem and solution please?

I have ran 141s this evening on the same set up and they seem to be running fine.

Thanks in advance, Tommy.

11 answers to this question

If it's the 'train set' controller, they have a thermal cut-out in and these can be very variable. Try just leaving it for a few minutes and see if it works again.

Are you running anything else off it? Lighting, etc.? The larger engine may just be tipping it over the edge.

Recently I've bought a few new hornby sets and thought I could use the controllers to replace cheap mehano ones that I am using. I had similar problems with 3 new hornby ones, they are complete and utter rubbish. They wound up in the bin.

Recently Intercity82 (he has a popular youtube channel) Did a video on the hornby Master of the Glens train set. He couldn't actually use the controller that came with the set, it kept shorting out.

If it's the 'train set' controller, they have a thermal cut-out in and these can be very variable. Try just leaving it for a few minutes and see if it works again.

Are you running anything else off it? Lighting, etc.? The larger engine may just be tipping it over the edge.

This is the controller that I have in mind.

HornbyR965.jpg

We had two, one lasted much longer than the other would running the same load - so, I opened them up to see if there was a different component that could be 'improved', but they appeared to be identical. If I was confined to using them, then I might be tempted to short the cut-out out altogether, as it seemed to be operating well before there was any real overheating.

If you are staying DC, then Gaugemaster is the way to go, I think.

Save the Hornby power units for running lighting, etc.

It's a long time ago, but I think the cut-out may have been in the plug-in transformer unit (it should be, anyway).

Many thanks to all for the help and advice. I removed the dcc chip and replaced the blanking plate but the same problem persists, I'm using the analogue controller that appears in Broithe's pic and on the screen at the start of roxyguy's vid. The same controller is operating 141s and 071s fine. The loco was working fine on the dcc set up but it is a long time ago since it ran on that system and I have only wanted to give her a quick run on the dc with a set of push/pull Mk III set. She only runs for a short time then stops.

Many thanks to all for the help and advice. I removed the dcc chip and replaced the blanking plate but the same problem persists, I'm using the analogue controller that appears in Broithe's pic and on the screen at the start of roxyguy's vid. The same controller is operating 141s and 071s fine. The loco was working fine on the dcc set up but it is a long time ago since it ran on that system and I have only wanted to give her a quick run on the dc with a set of push/pull Mk III set. She only runs for a short time then stops.

Interesting video here on how to improve that controller.

thanks for vid there rox - interesting stuff, the one I'm using was made in China and I better not attempt to alter it. I might replace the chip and hook her back up to the dcc system and see will she run correctly on that controller.

No problem. Hopefully that will sort it. I gave up on hornby controllers. The bachmann ones seem very smooth and reliable. My layout is DC and probably will stay that way for a long time. I had a couple of these cheap mehano controller from train sets and they work surprisingly well - better than the hornby ones which is shocking really.

url.jpg