New member incoming!!

Rate this topic

Modelrailwayman00

Hello. Newbie here with an interest in model trains ( you don't say!?).

Started 40 years ago with an old Lima that my Dad had and now that I'm in my mid-life crisis years, I reckon this hobby will be better for me than a Porsche or a mistress and probably as much fun in the long run :)

So 'hello'. I've been lurking here for a while, reading and admiring some amazing layouts and loco/coach combos.

Any questions, ask away. :)

I was after a Porsche and a mistress, too, but auto-correct had me ending up with a porch and a mattress.

Hahahahaha!!!! Excellent!

The late Sullivan Boomer, of the RPSI, and I used to have a great laugh about something that happened some years ago with a computer auto-correct. At the time, he and I were directors of the RPSI and as such we were in constant contact. I got a new computer and went to email him. The computer told me that his name was Sultan Bomber.....

Hahahahaha!!!! Excellent!

The late Sullivan Boomer, of the RPSI, and I used to have a great laugh about something that happened some years ago with a computer auto-correct. At the time, he and I were directors of the RPSI and as such we were in constant contact. I got a new computer and went to email him. The computer told me that his name was Sultan Bomber.....

Long before the days of auto-correct, we urgently needed about four inches of two inch brass bar, but, as it would be a 'new batch', we would also need a test piece (and a spare, if it all went wrong), so we decided we would get a whole metre. The 'new girl' was told to type out the order and it was sent off.

Two days later, the delivery driver arrived, "Where do you want this brass bar?" - "Oh, just leave it here, under my desk." - Blank Look - "What's the problem?" - "There's two lorry-loads outside..."

"She" had missed one of the ms when typing 1000mm and we had a kilometre of bar arrive, too heavy for one truck....

Welcome, modelrailwayman!

Thank you! Well I thought Hornby was expensive until I went looking for Irish models :( Still, you get what you pay for, I suppose. :)

I was after a Porsche and a mistress, too, but auto-correct had me ending up with a porch and a mattress.

Brilliant!!

Reminds me of Ronnie Barker's "four candles" / "fork handles"!

One of my favourite sketches of all time!

'Got any O's?' :)