GNR(i) Omagh

Rate this topic

I have a large collection of almost 200 photographs showing general views of Omagh General Station and Goods Yard 1920s - 1966. These pictures show many GNR(i) engines and rolling stock that could be useful for modellers. If you have a particular request do get in touch. I don't mind posting of sending by private email. I've posted one typical example, Happy Christmas!GNR042.jpg

Something I noticed back in the 1960s when staying with relatives next to the junction, to the right of the photo, that the rail chair keys on the branch, were on the inside of the rails. Something I had never seen before, or since. If you look closely at the photo, this can be seen.

The track in front of the loco is of the conventional 'outside the rail' key, but changes to 'inside the rail' just behind the second bogie wheel.

Ah, fond memories.

Inside keys were a GNR feature. I never got the chance to ask Senior - why!!

That's always seemed the better way to me - any lateral force on a rail will almost always be outwards.

The 'normal way' may be to do with stopping the rail from 'rolling' in the chair, perhaps?

Just noticed most of the sleepers in that lovely photo are standing exposed on top of the track bed rather than embedded in ballast.

It has to be remembered that the Market Branch was a very short, freight only, slow speed line, so perfect track was not a necessity, unlike the main line to the right.

The branch was accessed by means of a ground frame, just to the right of the turnout and off the picture. It was unlocked by the use of the train staff. I presume there was a staff machine somewhere on the branch, to allow use of the mainline while there was a loco on the branch.

Edited by Dhu Varren

Inside keyed chairs were apparently used on the Midland Railway in the 19th Century, but outside keyed chairs later adapted. as standard. The GSWR used outside keyed chairs wonder what the Belfast & Northern & County Down used in the early 1900s.

Latterly the BCDR used standard outside ones, but I dunno about originally. Again, Senior's thoughts would be useful here!

Bachmann, in their Scenecraft range, did a number of Irish railway structures a few years ago, one of which was a GNR signal box. To be totally accurate, the windows needed modification.

I'm sorry that I didn't buy two at the time as I suspect the production run was quite short.

I think I'm right in saying that they were only sold through Irish retailers.

Love your photos from Omagh; keep them coming.

Regards,

Glover

Beautiful! Many thanks.

I'm actually modelling Pettigo, on the Bundoran branch, so photos from this area are always welcome.

I've started my own workbench thread on this forum, only about an hour ago.

Here is a photo of the signal box, using the Bachmann Scenecraft box that I mentioned earlier.

I did modify the windows but of course I can't see them now!

Cheers,

Gloverimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks JHB.

My model actually assumes that the Bundoran branch stayed open, at least to 1963, under CIE control.

This was legally possible as the ROI or NI governments could take over what I think were termed "shared services" ie routes which crossed the border.

There was the usual fuss in the Dail at the time, with the Government of the day being urged to retain the service.

So, it could have happened but in reality, not a hope!

Cheers,

Glover

Happy New Year!

Not the sharpest of photos but two nice views of Omagh North Cabin and line side and wagon detail[ATTACH=CONFIG]26414[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26415[/ATTACH]

Looking at those excellent pictures reminded of the time I was stood on the platform on the right, watching some shunting of wagons taking place. It turned out they were for a trip working out to the Nestle factory, and I was offered a footplate ride out there and back. Unfortunately I had to be home by a certain time, and would not have been back before that time. A decision I have always regretted.

• 3 years later...

Hello, I live in Omagh and move to the Culmore park/O'Kane park where is the symbol a train. I start to be working on the Omagh history and  special the train station, (just hobby) . Could you send me in email some photographes from Omagh railway station or any pics from Omagh trains? 

Kind regards

Tunde Tasi

6 hours ago, Tunde Tasi said:

Hello, I live in Omagh and move to the Culmore park/O'Kane park where is the symbol a train. I start to be working on the Omagh history and  special the train station, (just hobby) . Could you send me in email some photographes from Omagh railway station or any pics from Omagh trains? 

The IRRS have some good shots restricted to members, membership 50 euro

@Irishswissernieon this forum has an extensive online railway archive including the GNR(I) on Flickr

GNRI & its Successors until the mid 1960's

• Informative 1