Basic question: why do my locos sometimes stop running?

Rate this question

Modelrailwayman00

Question

New track, new locos. Hornby controller (basic).

Sometimes, I run my loco with or without coaches for 10 minutes or so, then go do something around the house. I come back, turn the dial and nothing happens. I unplug, re-plug, pull the cable from the controller, put it back in and nothing changes. Then I randomly unplug and off the loco goes as of nothing happened. This has happened to me with the Hornby Santa's express and a Virgin train...

Any ideas? Is this a common problem with these controllers or could it be something else. These are brand new locos...

You can tell I'm new to this can't you? :)

12 answers to this question

New track, new locos. Hornby controller (basic).

Sometimes, I run my loco with or without coaches for 10 minutes or so, then go do something around the house. I come back, turn the dial and nothing happens. I unplug, re-plug, pull the cable from the controller, put it back in and nothing changes. Then I randomly unplug and off the loco goes as of nothing happened. This has happened to me with the Hornby Santa's express and a Virgin train...

Any ideas? Is this a common problem with these controllers or could it be something else. These are brand new locos...

You can tell I'm new to this can't you? :)

When you leave are the locos running, then when you return are they stopped? Have you stayed with it to see where it stops?

What controller and track are you using?

We've had a similar question just lately - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5938-MM201-Erratic-running?highlight=gaugemaster

The Hornby 'train set' controller is not the best device around.

Thanks. Interesting thread! I admit to being quite surprised when I first picked up the Hornby train set controller. Very light.

When you leave are the locos running, then when you return are they stopped? Have you stayed with it to see where it stops?

What controller and track are you using?

It only happens when I stop the train. I could run it for a few minutes, speed it up, slow it down, speed up again, then stop the train. Then when I go back to it, maybe a couple of minutes later, maybe only 30 second later, the controller won't work. I might have to unplug it a couple of times before it will work again.

Odd.

Thanks. Interesting thread! I admit to being quite surprised when I first picked up the Hornby train set controller. Very light.

It only happens when I stop the train. I could run it for a few minutes, speed it up, slow it down, speed up again, then stop the train. Then when I go back to it, maybe a couple of minutes later, maybe only 30 second later, the controller won't work. I might have to unplug it a couple of times before it will work again.

Odd.

Odd indeed - it's only ever happened to me when things have been running for a few minutes, then it all just turns off.

There are much better devices out there - in fact, there may not be a worse one...

I had two Hornby controllers, one was a lot worse than the other. Even when they work, the low speed control is poor.

It can also be worth checking track and loco underside for loose trackpins, etc., that could cause shorts. Things like that can even get stuck up behind wheels.

The advice here is spot on Modelrailwayman. I only need a basic dc controller for a small layout and big Dave (Wrenneire), is the man on here for sourcing such a thing. I have had the same problem and it is definitely the Hornby controller that is causing the loco to stop after a few laps of the layout. When I tried a different (better quality) controller, the loco runs continuously and faultlessly. I was surprised myself but it seems that some of these basic analogue controllers should be avoided.

Check out the Gauge master adverts in RM. Even their basic models should be a vast improvement.

However, note that clean track, wheels and pickups are essential for good running in the medium to long term. A solvent type cleaner, such as meths works much better than an abrasive, though a graphite pencil rubbed on the track is even better and then little if any cleaning is required.

Odd.

Is it the Hornby select that you are using? How old is it? The older models are not NMRA compliant but the newer ones are and the older ones can be firmware upgraded, this could be a short term solution.

I sell Roco multimaus DCC controllers and find them excellent, very easy to use and cheap enough too.