Small shunting layout

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Would a layout measuring 2400 x 300 for shunting end to end be adequate?

There are about 8 points contained in it.

Absolutely, you could even have an O gauge layout in that space!

OO gauge shunting layouts are very popular and the inglenook design will keep you occupied for hours.

I have built Baseboards for 4' x 1' shunting puzzles.

Would a layout measuring 2400 x 300 for shunting end to end be adequate?

There are about 8 points contained in it.

The critical issue is how many wagons will fit in each siding/head-shunt to allow a small engine to shuffle wagons between each line. Turn-outs end to end quickly add up to a long line restricting the number of wagons able to clear eachpoint. I fitted OO Shunters Yard into 1.2m by 0.23m using a three-way point to save much space. Similarly, a double-slip point would save space but allow more lines for shunting. (http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5284-Shunters-Yard-Compact-Shelf-top-Exhibition-Layout-OO-gauge-GWR-outline-DCC-controlled/page3)

Good idea to sketch out your plan on a piece of wallpaper backing paper using Peco templates or points.

Edited by Irishrailwayman

A three-way turnout is useful in these circumstances. Without meaning to plug, if you look at the picture of Polloxfen's Mills Siding near Ballysodare, Co. Sligo, on Page 90 of "Rails through the West" you'll see how much can be crammed into a very small space by this method. If you like "H" vans, a layout populated with little else but a couple of black'n'tan 141s and a few "H"s would be well served by a model of Polloxfen's Mills.

A fictitious layout with a short passenger platform, perhaps out of use for years (Ardee, Castleisland), but a decent goods yard including a couple of three-way points would provide scope for quite complicated shunting prodcedures in a small space.

I have a plan which incorporates curved points and with the addition of a few sidings, it appears that the overall size will get wider. I initially wanted to keep it small and simple and as soon as I get to the design stage I forget about my limitations and problems arise. Maybe I should forget about the Omagh North plan and come up with something original and simple.

I am considering Omagh North Cabin which is an area just outside of the passenger station. Lots of points and curves. I'm still a bit concerned about the number of points in a short space and it may restrict things however I can simplify things to make it all work.

I would suggest than the Omagh North Cabin area is a bit big to be able to fit into the dimensions you have mentioned, to create a worthwhile layout, however, something like the Market yard would probably be more suitable. I don't have any track details for that location, but pictures show at least four sets of points.

I think you are right. I am able to get half of it onto a 2m x 400mm board but already it is taking over the space I set aside. I was in a model shop recently and I saw a beautiful little layout measure 1.5m x 200mm. There was one piece of track only and a station and halt at either end. The engine was powered by a gauge master shuttle and I could have stood looking at it all day, it gave me great pleasure. That was one of the reasons I decided to model again so maybe I should stick with my original plan.

Is there much of it - or even anything - left to see? Shame the main station didn't survive. Now and again we hear suggestions that the "Derry Road" ought to be reopened. In current circumstances it won't, of course, but if the population continues to rise, maybe in 50 years they'd be looking at it. If so, an entirely new route will be necessary on the outskirts of Portadown, Dungannon AND Omagh, and probably Strabane as well, on account of the wilful and short sighted wholesale clearing away of the railway and redevelopment of sites.

Another great photo Tony. Omagh gasworks was just out of shot on the left side. Do you know if there was a siding into the gasworks at any stage? The single story building on the right still exists and was used for a while by Dunnes stores.

Those flax stores were revoted when Dunnes opened there and are still in use today, if only as storage.

I was looking at the wagons in the above shot. From what I can see, the ones to the right are (typically dilapidated) ex-GNR stock; the UTA was running down its goods traffic at the time. On the left of the loco tender and loading gauge, two more vans (low roofed; probably GNR) but beyond them a higher wagon roof - which looks like a CIE "H" van. Leslie's model van is therefore at home on any layout based in the 1955ish -1965 period on the Derry Road (or indeed, up to 1957 anywhere on the GNR), and on the NCC Derry line for some years afterwards.

Back to topic, attached is a track plan that I have put together using Peco templates collated to a paper background measuring 1800mm x 300mm exactly. Apart from a signal box in the mid/lower part of the baseboard I am considering the goods store at the right end side. Can any experienced modellers/shunters here see any problem with this compact arrangement?Omagh North.jpg

It's do-able, Tony, though it only allows for three or four wagons at most being shunted together. Having said that, in some places this was certainly prototypical. It doesn't leave much room for all but a small goods shed.

The track on the right would be either shortened or run inside the shed.

With some fine tuning of the layout arrangement I can get what I'm after. Also, I have decided that a portable layout is the way to go. Homeless are selling a sturdy wallpapering table with metal frame for £23. A bargain and also very rigid measuring 2m x 600mm.

Edited by TonyMcGartland

With some fine tuning of the layout arrangement I can get what I'm after. Also, I have decided that a portable layout is the way to go. Homebase are selling a sturdy wallpapering table with metal frame for £23. A bargain and also very rigid measuring 2m x 600mm.

Apologies the original post should read 'Homebase' - not homeless!

Anyway, I spent the morning clearing out my music room and set up the trestle table in front of the window. It gives me 2metres x 600 of surface space and its more than I imagined I wanted when I started. The metal supporting framework is lightweight and robust. I can build a two-section baseboard and if I ever get invited to the next 'Modellers Exhibition' I can pack all including my folding trestle to display. Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 12.30.51.png

Edited by TonyMcGartland

Check out Iain Rice's book. Finescale in Small Spaces, Urban Layouts and Light Railways, all have masses of ideas and Iain is one of the best exponents of shunting themes. Has a new book out too, called Cameo Layouts. All from Wild Swan.

David, nice to know i'll check that out, thanks

Tony,

If you're going to have a goods shed or sidings to form up a rake of wagons, you're going to need some type of loop in order to get the loco in the right position. Here's a quick suggestion, but I'd look at how one gets from the lower loop to the upper siding without it becoming a chore.....

Sketch01.jpg

Glenderg, I welcome your comments and design suggestion. The difficulty that I am experiencing is limits of space and complexity of the model. In an attempt to recreate the original, the number of points prevents the operation of the loco and wagons. I have resigned myself to avoid trying to replicate the track layout 100% and concentrate on the movement of the wagons and engine.

Edited by TonyMcGartland

Tony

Your idea of modelling the approach tracks fits in pretty well with Iain Rice’s “Bitsa Station” approach of modelling the area where most of the operation takes place and treating the station as off scene.

Your track layout appears to capture the essence of the area around the North Cabin, there is a 1954 Neil Spinks photo in the Great Northern in Pictures of an LQG shunting a goods from Enniskillen in this area nicely framed between the wooded background and the splitting signal for Portadown and Enniskillen lines

I would omit the (enormous) goods shed and go for a wooded background, using the overbridge a view blocker at the north end and try and blend the platform ends into a curved backscene at the south end/eastern end.

If you are planning to use tender locos the length of the shunting neck at the north end is likely to restrict train length, I don’t think that the lack of a run round is too restrictive as the exercise as the platform roads effectively function as arrival and departure roads for trains on the Derry Road and Irish North & SLNCR.

The GNR is relatively well provided for in terms of locos and stock with OO Works U & UG locos & Provincial Wagons CIE & GNR wagon stock, SSM range of brass GNR loco kits and coaches.

Mayner, your comments and suggestions really fit well with what I'm thinking at the moment, the attached photo shows how busy this North Cabin view can be. I still meet one of the last shunters still living in Omagh who did all the shunting at the station. I will be able to ask him of the stock that he worked. Using the footbridge and platform ends to block the station is a great idea and I'm grateful for pointing me in the right direction.GNR055.jpg

Mayner, your comments and suggestions really fit well with what I'm thinking at the moment, the attached photo shows how busy this North Cabin view can be. I still meet one of the last shunters still living in Omagh who did all the shunting at the station. I will be able to ask him of the stock that he worked. Using the footbridge and platform ends to block the station is a great idea and I'm grateful for pointing me in the right direction.attachment.php?attachmentid=26332&stc=1

Great photo Tony.

The bracket signal is interesting Neil Spinks photo seems to have been taken near the stairs to the cabin, the signal had two arms reading towards Portadown & Enniskillen. It looks like the signal was altered to act as an up starter towards Newtownstewart after the Irish North closed.

Good Morning, I have now purchased all points and flexi track for this Omagh North shunting layout, a few points arriving arriving the holiday break. I think I will send a drawing to Peco and let them assist with the wiring of the electrophori points. The plan is to use a Gaugemaster Super-Shuttle on one of the lines to maintain some interest and on a separate line carry out all shunting operations. When I'm back at work on Wednesday I can make up my baseboard frames and assemble all. I'm doing this is two sections with spring-loaded suitcase type catches to hold them firmly together. I find this better than the hinge and pin method. Exciting times ahead. I can start work scratch building my rolling stock.When I have the tracks laid and wired i'll post pictures.

Edited by TonyMcGartland