Glover

Glover's workbench

I started this thread with some notes on a GSR non-corridor coach, based on the old Hornby GWR clearstory coach. I have now added two coaches to what I see as an excursion/GAA special on the Bundoran branch. This is a form of 'back to the future' modelling. In the very late 1960s/early '70s, CIE assembled a set of old wooden bodied, non-corridor stock to run on the suburban services to Bray, usually hauled by an A class diesel loco. The train was a great favourite of the photographer Michael Baker who featured it in a number of his books.

The basis is the Ratio GWR 4 wheel coaches. I had a number of body panels left over from the previously featured GSWR/GSR 6 wheel guards/luggage van. The ends were widened and the height of the sides increased in order to achieve that 'bigger' look of Irish coaches . I have numbered it 1895, to replicate the series of brake/3rds built in 1927 with the shorter guards section.

Cheers,

Glover

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Glover

Have you seen Provincial Wagons now do a pretty good Cattle Wagon kit? its not the same satisfaction as kit-bashing to achieve a goal, but if your thinking of a train of them this might be a quicker starting point....

Eoin

At the other end of my non-corridor excursion set is a GSR brake/composite, based on the old faithful Hornby GWR coach. This project uses a mixture of the Hornby brake/3rd and the all passenger coach. This achieves the mix of compartment widths.

I filed off the lower body panelling in order to replicate the plainer, compared to the GWR, appearance of GSR coaches. As before, the sides were increased in height.  The ends, widened slightly, are from the Ratio GWR coaches which were going spare from the previous conversion. Note that the guards look out is at the very end of the coach, as per GSR practice. I made the roof years ago, from plastic, using the oft recommended method of curving under heat. Can't say it was a great success but I kept it in my scrap box. It's hour has come. I can justify the somewhat wonky appearance on the basis that the coaches were old, although not perhaps as old as you might think....

In 1931, the GSR built two brake/composites specifically for the Harcourt Street line. They were the only brake/compose built by the GSR. Because my coach is slightly different to the prototypes ( the Hornby compartments are somewhat wider than the rather cramped GSR ones: anyone fancy sitting in a 5'6" third class compartment with eleven other commuters? Even at rush hour, you would be more comfortable on the LUAS!). Anyway, I have numbered mine as 2493, assuming that the GSR built another couple of brake/compose to a slightly different configuration.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, murrayec said:

Hi Glover

Have you seen Provincial Wagons now do a pretty good Cattle Wagon kit? its not the same satisfaction as kit-bashing to achieve a goal, but if your thinking of a train of them this might be a quicker starting point....

Eoin

Is that the GNR cattle wagon Eoin?

I have built two of those plus an ancient white metal kit but I really need the CIE van; GNR wagons had a short life expectancy under CIE!

Many thanks,

Glover

Hi Glover

It's this one....

59ede8615a2d0_CW-01IMAG3401.jpg.740325846b788890b14d1f848009629d.jpg

.....I'm told by one of the chaps involved that they were the same down south

Eoin

Thanks Eoin; got 'em!

I've built two from Leslie's kits; the one on the left is a very old Model Wagon Company white metal kit; weights a ton!

However, my layout, Pettigo on the GNR's  Bundoran branch, is set in 1963 (assuming it remained open until then) and photographic evidence from that period suggests that virtually all the GNR vans which CIE inherited on the break up of the GNR had gone by then.

Again, many thanks.

Glover

image.jpeg

My excursion set is completed by two further coaches, both built a good many years ago.

This is a Ratio Midland Railway all third. I remember buying the kit in the old and wonderful model shop in Phibsboro. I bought metal buffers from that treasure throve display on the counter. The original Ratio bogies gave up the ghost many years ago and were replaced by Bachman LMS bogies.

It's really too short: it should be a 60 footer. It would be relatively straight forward to build to the correct length using two of the Ratio kits ( buy three kits and you should get two coaches) but it's not on my priority list at the moment.

Glover

image.jpeg

The final coach in the excursion set is an Ian Kirk LNER kit, intended to represent some sort of GNR presence in the train.

The kit was bought in the now gone Kings Cross model shop in London. I used to fly to London on business quite a lot in days gone by and often used the original Ryanair service from Dublin into Luton, on the BAC 1-11s. The journey involved a bus from Luton airport to the railway station and then train into a then somewhat shabby St Pancras. I always tried to create a spare 10/15 minutes at the end of the day, to go into the model shop across the road from Kings Cross station and therefore very close to St Pancras.

The kit was built as intended. You will note the very prototypical broken window......no idea how that happened and the roof is glued in place!

Glover

image.jpeg

Looks fantastic! Until 1974 or so, a few old wooden relics could still be seen rattling around on summer excursion days on the DSER / GN section round Dublin, and in Cork.

As an aside, I think that the very last stock in service still in green would have been about 1966/7 at the latest.

There was one GNR coach still brown in 1966; it became black'n'tan straight away, never having been green. This was former brake second open No. 114, now at Whitehead. It was the last coach in GNR livery in traffic.

I love this layout - it's so full of atmosphere.