Glover

Glover's workbench

Rate this topic

Very good, i like the seating.

where did you get the roofs?

Thanks Popeye.

The roofs are scratch built, from plastic. I used the method described by Geoff Kent in the Model Railway Journal number 228. Roofs, in my experience, are one of the most difficult items to model. Irish coaches were generally wider than those in Britain, so pre-formed roofs designed for British stock are not really suitable for Irish coaches. Geoff Kents method is a bit complicated and rewards practice. I'm working on another project at the moment and will, if I remember in the heat of battle, take a few snaps of the method but we're a few weeks away from that stage.

There are no rainstrips on the roof. These are noticeably absent from many GNR coaches. I'm looking at a high level photo taken in 1963 which shows five GNR coaches around Newry; only one appears to have rainstrips. Possibly they were not replaced when coaches were re-roofed. Saves a job anyway!

Cheers,

Glover

• Thanks 1

When the GNR Board was disbanded in 1958, the UTA immediately set about repainting the more modern, flush sided coaches into their green livery. Older wooden bodied coaches were not a priority and thus GNR coaches in their old varnished teak livery could still be seen in UTA service in 1963. There are a number of photos to support this.

Therefore.......

image.jpeg

• WOW! 1

This is most certainly a first for me.

The varnished wood livery was achieved thanks to a piece on RMweb by Mike Trice. Google 'painting LNER model coaches' or something similar.

Essentially, apply a white primer and then a base coat of cheap acrylic paint in a colour like orange or yellow. Then a mix of burnt umber (artists oil) and something called Liquin Original, available in art supply shops. Apply this mix with Golden Taklon brushes. Finally, varnish to taste. 

It's actually as simple as that and I have to say that I am well pleased with the end result.

image.jpeg

I took some photos outdoors as it shows the livery to good effect. 

The K8 open third was numbered 326 , by the UTA, on the green side (built 1917, withdrawn 1967). Previously it was numbered 357 by the GNR.

On the teak side, the UTA number is 320 (GNR number 18). This was withdrawn in October 1963 (built 1915) and therefore it is reasonable to assume that it never received UTA green.

I have used the UTA Red Hand logos on the teak side.

image.jpeg

The L9 ( brake/third) was given the UTA number 466 on the teak side and 464 on the green side. 

I can now run them as a both teak or both green combination or a mix, which might be more typical. Or I could if I had an appropriate loco........ A long term project.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Back in April of this year, I wrote about my conversion of the old Hornby LMS Stanier coaches into a 1953 build CIE brake/standard. I noted that I wasn't happy with the roof profile. These coache roofs were almost flat across most of their width but then turned sharply downwards on each side; I'm sure there's a proper geometric term for such curves.

I had another go, using the same Geoff Kent method but with the benefit of practice, I think it has turned out better. I also renewed the corridor connectors and fixed a de-railing issue . Before and after photos below.

Now, back to the hammering and banging on the workbench as I work on my Q4 project.

Cheers,

Glover

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I note that the corridor connector is a bit askew in the second ('after') photo; it's fine when it's buffered up to other stock.

Glover

• Like 2

Brilliant, brilliant stuff!

The teak coaches look just right, as I recall them. A point of detail: while the UTA put red hand roundels on a few railcars still in GNR navy and cream, older wooden coaches would only get the UTA logo if painted green.

On this scale, though the UTA logo looks a bit overscale, and could at a distance look like a faded GNR crest!

Excellent work as always.

I have struggled to think of a reason to bring something UTA to my layout, based at the same period - but, while the location is fictitious, it's somewhere in the south - think Mallow-Waterford or South Kerry area. Maybe a visiting pigeon special!

On 12/29/2016 at 8:38 PM, Glover said:

That seemed to work!

The extract from the Railway Modeller was the first in a series which achieved near legendary status. The first article appeared in August 1966. It dealt with the conversion of the Triang Hornby GWR clear storey coach into Southern Railway ( England) look alikes.

Given the similarity to Irish coaches, I resolved to follow the plans.

Only took me 50 years!

However, I went a little further; about 6 feet......

The original plan was for LBSCR 54 foot coaches but the similar GWSR/GSR coaches were 60 footers.

Essentially you cut the passenger sections from two GWR brake 3rds and join them together.

However, I decided to widen them somewhat, to replicate the wider dimensions of Irish stock.

That involved some rather agricultural cutting of the sides away from the original chassis.

I also added some height to the coach using Evergreen strip.image.jpg

I scratch built new ends although the roof is BR Mk1.

Bogies are Bachmann LMS.

image.jpg

Hi Glover just found your workshop thread so starting at the beginning with the above coach, you mentioned that you added some evergreen strip to the body was that at the top or the bottom of the sides, what size was it if you can recall? if you can't what was is the new side height of the body shell?

I have just come into the ownership of about 6 or 7 of these coaches (I was going to build some Isle of Man 3ft gauge style coaches from them until i saw you Irish Broad Gauge efforts).

Finally for now what is the width you have built it to?

regards

Colin

Edited by Colin R

Hi Colin,

Arrrgh!! I had to go out to the shed to measure it; its 2 degrees here at the moment!  But, many thanks for taking an interest in my efforts. 

Height is almost 28mm. I suspect I used something like 2mm Evergreen strip; I didn't keep a specific note . It was added to the top of the bodyside.

Width is only slightly wider than the original Tri-ang/Hornby but I now generally build to 38mm width. Yes it does look more than a bit narrow gauge when viewed end on but certainly on my layout, virtually all views are side on.

To my mind, the advantage of building to, more or less, the full Irish width is that it gives you a more correct roof profile.

It does require some brutal work with a hacksaw to reduce these coaches to body sides only, which is really the only part of the originals I used.

Can I apologise in advance if you have other questions ( and please ask away) but I'll be off-air for the next few days , so I may be somewhat tardy in responding.

Meantime, give it a go!

Cheers,

Glover

• Like 1

Lots of stuff on here Glover, and thanks for the reply which is more that just useful. I am drifting toward using Downpartick in some form or other, as it has everything I like in a country terminus.

I think I will end up only using the track plan and building all the railway buildings to a more standard Irish outlook (stone effect plasticard), but that is all for the future.

Colin