Ben Racey's Workbench

Rate this topic

Richard EH

New Year, new thread....! Happy New Year to all!

So I thought I'd add all my stuff into one thread in the future, and in the workbench forum as well rather than individual threads in the past as for No.4 and the GNRi ballast plough van.

So here's what santa brought. One of the DC kits 'G611' Class diesels in resin. It has a Steam Era Models 4 wheel chassis, and as you see it here, it's virtually out of the box - all I've done is clean off some of the flash and plonked(technical term...) it on the chassis. Looks very well. First impressions are good, some great detail on the body and chassis. However, some, particularly the front and rear buffer beams are very thin and wouldn't seem suited to take the weight of a train. So I'll probably replace these with plasticard and run the couplings off the motor bogie.

So I'm thinking it should be 614 - this seemed to be based at Dundalk so fits best with my GN interest. I've only a couple of photos of that machine though, notably shunting some GN tenders for scrap with a 141! Does anyone know of any other photos of this machine? I have the recent IRRS journal with the article on the G's in it, as well as most other well known books - 614 seems to be a rare bird, as it didn't seem to appear on the Loughrea branch - plenty of shots of 613/616 as a result...

Anyway, I'll keep the thread updated with progress.

Cheers for now, and a very happy New Year!

Richard.G 1.JPG

G 2.JPG

G 3.JPG

• Like 1

Dan (or Tony) Reneghan - retired CIE loco drivers - did an absolutely superb article on the "G" class locos in an IRRS journal in the last year or so. Worth reading - it details which ones worked where. Obviously, they only had a working life of just over ten years, and there were only seven of them, so it's easy to find out. G613 was a regular performer on the Loughrea line for a good few years, and G616 spent much time there too, I think. Not sure about Dundalk, but that article will tell you.

Dan (or Tony) Reneghan - retired CIE loco drivers - did an absolutely superb article on the "G" class locos in an IRRS journal in the last year or so. Worth reading - it details which ones worked where. Obviously, they only had a working life of just over ten years, and there were only seven of them, so it's easy to find out. G613 was a regular performer on the Loughrea line for a good few years, and G616 spent much time there too, I think. Not sure about Dundalk, but that article will tell you.

Thanks, yes, that's the article that I have - it's well worth a read as you say for anyone modelling these engines.

That's a nice model, have you tried running it yet? What is the motor bogie like?

I have this model but i used a Mashima motor & made my own chassis.

I stuck a piece of plasticard behind the bufferbeam for strength.

Here is a pic & it is painted in DCDR green.It's still not finished.

G 611..b.jpg

That's a nice model, have you tried running it yet? What is the motor bogie like?

I have this model but i used a Mashima motor & made my own chassis.

I stuck a piece of plasticard behind the bufferbeam for strength.

Here is a pic & it is painted in DCDR green.It's still not finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26402[/ATTACH]

Looks great Popeye! May well take your advice there, and strengthen the back of the buffer beam, rather than cut it out, that's a great tip!

Cheers for now.

Richard.

• 3 months later...

IMG_5664.jpg

Hi all,

Bit of a jump in progress!

So really all this lovely little model needs is various handrails, vacuum pipes, minor details and your couplings of choice and off you go...

There are a few interesting bits to add though. There's four handrails for a shunter to hang onto at the front - these have a curious round top and are towards the edge of the loco. I did bring these inboard so that they would be a bit more robust.... I formed the round top from a small blob of crystal clear and a lace pin. Worked well!

Painting has, so far, gone ok, so nearly finished and final detailing - including etched nickel silver door handles from a deltic!

Cheers for now.

Richard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27460[/ATTACH]Bit of a jump in progress!

So really all this lovely little model needs is various handrails, vacuum pipes, minor details and your couplings of choice and off you go...

There are a few interesting bits to add though. There's four handrails for a shunter to hang onto at the front - these have a curious round top and are towards the edge of the loco. I did bring these inboard so that they would be a bit more robust.... I formed the round top from a small blob of crystal clear and a lace pin. Worked well!

Painting has, so far, gone ok, so nearly finished and final detailing - including etched nickel silver door handles from a deltic!

Hi Richard. She looks really well with very nice crisp paint finish. As a matter of interest what paint did you use for the black? Noel

Hi all,

Many thanks for the kind comments!

I'll post up a few photos when there's more progress...

Noel, fairly straightforward all Halfords rattle cans - white primer, (masked with Tamiya low tack tape), matt black and audi red for the buffer beams...

Cheers for now.

Richard.

• 1 month later...

G 616 complete 2.JPG

Hi all,

So the 'G' is now complete, and I think it looks the part! I ended up reapplying the transfers twice to cut out as much of the transfer film as I could and then fixed with dullcote - worked well.

Just needs running in now, oh and a layout to run it on... watch this space.....!!

Richard.

G616 complete 1.JPG

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27904[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27905[/ATTACH]

Hi all,

So the 'G' is now complete, and I think it looks the part! I ended up reapplying the transfers twice to cut out as much of the transfer film as I could and then fixed with dullcote - worked well.

Just needs running in now, oh and a layout to run it on... watch this space.....!!

Richard.

Superb end result and the detailing is excellent. :tumbsup: