Class 121

Rate this topic

Alan564017

Does the sound not also depend on the exhaust arrangement? Or the body around the engine? Where do you stop? Very different sound from a C compared to a 181, despite both having an 8-645.

Edited by BSGSV

Small differences can have quite an effect on sounds. People who rode motorbikes in 70s may remember how about 25% of Allegros had an aerodynamic whistle from the front bodywork. And the AW Argosy had a very distinctive sound, marking it out easily from all other Dart-powered aircraft.

Does the sound not also depend on the exhaust arrangement? Or the body around the engine? Where do you stop? Very different sound from a C compared to a 181, despite both having an 8-645.

A's and C's had different exhaust arrangement, so as you say the sound was a lot different. GM built locos have GM exhaust arrangements so they do sound a lot more similar to each other. The A's and C's were exceptions of course.

Anyway, we're wandering way off topic! :)

So existing 141 sound projects will do perfectly for early 121s and existing 181 sound projects will do for later 121s. Special 121 sound projects NOT needed at all at all! :) I can't tell any difference listening to dozens of youtube clips.

• Like 1

Is it down to the number of cylinders per engine? I know the tsunami just offered a '645' for instance, which is anything between an 8 and 20 cylinder block. Yank outline customers were asking for specific sound recordings for each one (8, 12, 16, 20 etc)

Yeah I use a mixture of 12 and 16 cylinder recordings in my own locos. The number of cylinders won't make much difference to the sound though. As was said earlier it's mainly down to the higher revs of the 645.

Hi Graham, I don't know to be honest. They supply normal, tired and overhauled engine sound variations for 141s and 181s (i.e. 6 variants with PD and 6 without PD). All I know is their LokSound projects sound better than the authentic recordings made here from actual IR/IE prototypes. I've a mix of PD and non-PD LokSounds, but to be honest I prefer driving the non-PD versions, just simpler to operate. Zimo/RealDrive remains my favourite to drive but the 141/181 sound is not as good as ESU, so I've gone ESU. Jeepers we are spoiled nowadays with sound options for Irish diesel models. Noel

Just had a listen to the videos on the site and the engine sounds are definitely the ones from ESU. My advice if you're planning on chipping a lot of locos is to by the Lokprogrammer. You can try all of these recordings yourself and just swap them out if you don't like them.

I would imagine if PM goes to ESU for a sound decoder for the 121 (like he did with the 071 and 201) the sounds will be the same recordings.

The tired and overhauled engine options are also easily done. There is an option to increase the playback speed of the file by small increments which raises or lowers the pitch of the engine sound.

Just had a listen to the videos on the site and the engine sounds are definitely the ones from ESU. My advice if you're planning on chipping a lot of locos is to by the Lokprogrammer. You can try all of these recordings yourself and just swap them out if you don't like them.

I would imagine if PM goes to ESU for a sound decoder for the 121 (like he did with the 071 and 201) the sounds will be the same recordings.

The tired and overhauled engine options are also easily done. There is an option to increase the playback speed of the file by small increments which raises or lowers the pitch of the engine sound.

Thanks Graham. I've come close to getting a LokProgrammer, but getting access to Irish diesel loco horn and whistle sounds and the steep learning curve has put me off. I'd love to try 'rolling' my own sound project where one could switch from 'Full Throttle' mode to auto notching at will, and add other tracks such as rail clack nose at various speeds, brakes for an entire rake, etc. As its pure software I would hope it is possible anyway to have a project that can be switched via function from 'normal' to 'tired' engine mode on the same chip without needing to reflow it. Noel

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly what they sounded like. I remember when I started as an apprentice in Inchicore back in 1977, one of the Sulzers was ticking over on the line just across from the carriage shop. The fitters working on it would rev it every now and again. Over the next few days, that loco and other Sulzers were shunted into a siding were they remained for many years to just rust away..

• 5 months later...

Hi all I'm new to this but maybe yous can advise me .I have a full HDI..train set made in Shannon. Don't know the age but age been the issue. The locomotive is extremely slow when I couple the carriages. Was thinking would it be advisable to put new motor in the loco or leave her grow old gracefully. Thanks brassnut

14 minutes ago, brassnut said:

Hi all I'm new to this but maybe yous can advise me .I have a full HDI..train set made in Shannon. Don't know the age but age been the issue. The locomotive is extremely slow when I couple the carriages. Was thinking would it be advisable to put new motor in the loco or leave her grow old gracefully. Thanks brassnut

Hi Brassnut.  Not sure if your query is 121 related.  I doubt she needs a new motor.  Probably just needs some minor servicing with lube and gearbox grease to free her up.  If you remove the motor temporarily and run it direct off 12v to see if its free and running smoothly, and then check if the chassis wheels are running freely.  If not clean any hardened grease off and lube axles and gears until she runs free again.  Noel

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2017 at 6:30 PM, Noel said:

Hi Brassnut.  Not sure if your query is 121 related.  I doubt she needs a new motor.  Probably just needs some minor servicing with lube and gearbox grease to free her up.  If you remove the motor temporarily and run it direct off 12v to see if its free and running smoothly, and then check if the chassis wheels are running freely.  If not clean any hardened grease off and lube axles and gears until she runs free again.  Noel

Sorry about late reply. Will do as you advise and hope that dose the job I'm only back on line thanks a million 

Any help would be appreciated on these train sets..All I know what is written under the carriages MADE IN IRELAND H.D.I........CIE .I'm hopeing Dave can get me up and rolling in my shunting yard hope you folks can enlighten me thanks brassnut

20171213_183557.jpg

20171213_183512.jpg

20171213_183903.jpg

20171213_184200.jpg

20171213_184123.jpg

Edited by brassnut
Wrong spelling

• 8 months later...
25 minutes ago, Blaine said:

You cannot hurry excellence. Hopefully something will be seen at the MRSI show in October

I dunno bout that.

While I praise Mr Murphy for everything released to date and the standards achieved. the BGMs and Cravens being excellent.

The recent releases leave room for improvement and are somewhat lacking imo. The CIE Mk2s, both batches need work out of the box. The Enterprise and NIR 201s, very wrong number font sizes, wrong number locations and livery errors on the NIR 201s. The RPSI Cravens have ride issues as does the latest release of 1509. 

I'm actually worried for the 121 release as much as I want them and want them to be as good as the BGM and 071 models. If he can match that level of quality again he can take as long as he likes. Think he set the bar too high for himself too early on.

Extract from Murphy Models web site back in 2016

Happy New Year from Murphy Models

As you will have noticed, 2015 was a rather quiet year for Murphy Models, mainly through circumstances beyond our control.  However, we will try to make up for it in 2016 . 

First, the news everybody has been waiting for - Class 121 CAD drawings were started in December. It is expected that pre-production samples will be available for perusal at the MRSI October Show in Raheny with a first delivery in time for Christmas. It is intendeded that the IE and original CIE grey will be first to arrive with CIE Black and Supertrain and IR versions to follow within 9-10 months.

Paddy's business enterprise has transformed Irish railway modelling beyond all recognition, so only gratitude and few complaints if any from me as a consumer of his products. The mk2 were fine models but indeed did not quite attain the heights that the incredible Cravens and baby GMs did.  IMHO 141/181 are still the finest model locos I have ever operated, so I hope the 121 does match them should MM decide to proceed with them this year or next.  If MM do not, I've no doubt someday IRM might consider them, but PM can hold his head high in the knowledge he changed the game during his time in the Irish model railway business. IRM have taken up the baton for the future and are raising the bar to new heights we as consumers could not have dreamt of only a few years ago.

Clunky Lima BR mk1s repainted B&T behind Lima class 33s in CIE orange are now but a distant memory. Whenever the right time comes, I'm sure a future IRM A class may shatter 'glass ceilings' in ways we can not yet comprehend. We've never had it so good.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4

Regarding the website Murphy Models is a one man show, Paddy himself is in his mid 70's so as you can imagine his "Webmaster" skills are not the best but with regard to the 121 it will happen. I have seen his communications with the new manufacturers in China and although things are ultra slow because of communication difficulties etc they are lumbering along at a snails pace. Paddy is none too happy about all this as he hoped to bring them to market in 2016 but eventualities outside of his control have caused all the delays to date, the main one being that his original manufacturer has ceased making model railway items after some disastrous projects which saw them losing many millions of dollars. Be aware that he is beavering away and that as soon as there is any real news these pages will light up        So hold your breath and save your pennies.

Edited by WRENNEIRE
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

33 minutes ago, StevieB said:

Our friends at IRM seem to have all the luck when it comes to dealing with the Far East manufacturers. Maybe they could give some pointers to Mr Murphy.

Stephen

Not true, they didn't in the early days of the ballast project but they are all sorted now. Alot when on behind the scenes is all I'm saying.

30 minutes ago, Railer said:

Not true, they didn't in the early days of the ballast project but they are all sorted now. Alot when on behind the scenes is all I'm saying.

In fairness our problems were all generated in the West and a notorious man in the east. Thankfully we found some friends in the East (As well as a couple closer to home) who saved our bacon on that score. The truth will come out on that someday! :) 

• Like 6

As mentioned earlier there is a demand for the "A" class. With Murphy Models 141/181, 071, 201 classes and the imminent (?) arrival of the 121 class there is a lot of mainline power available. I still think that a CIE shunter would sell well. A small layout with a station with a passing loop, some sidings and a goods shed together with a shunter and some IRM wagons would help those with lack of space to buy stock that they could actually use. Even a shunter with some cattle wagons would give lots of scope. I'd like an "A" class too but I'd be more than happy with a shunter...or two until the "A" class lumbers along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be aware that he is beavering away and that as soon as there is any real news these pages will light up        So hold your breath and save your pennies.

David, thanks for that update "from the horse's mouth". Although I have a kit built version of this ground-breaking loco (did I say that? - it's a diesel!), one to Paddy's standard would be great to have - but being 72, sometime soon please!

Leslie

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...