Baseboard Painting

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

12 answers to this question

Painting or applying PVA/varnish to the boards can be a good idea to "seal" the boards from moisture, particularly if you're using MDF which may absorb damp. For plywood it may not be required depending on the environment. Putting down a consistent colour across the board is a good starting point - the colour may depend on the type of scenery that you intend to install. You can always change the colour under different areas - perhaps grey under track and brown/green under scenery.

Making up baseboards for new layout today. Will be using 9mm ply on 44 x 32mm redwood framework. Is painting a baseboard a waste of time or are there any benefits? If so, grey or brown?

I find its a waste of time, a layout will be completely covered when it's finished with ballast, roads and scenery so it shouldn't be seen.

When I'm doing grass or scenic areas I paint it mud brown or green underneath but I never paint the whole thing.

I find its a waste of time, a layout will be completely covered when it's finished with ballast, roads and scenery so it shouldn't be seen.

When I'm doing grass or scenic areas I paint it mud brown or green underneath but I never paint the whole thing.

Thanks, makes sense

May I suggest you also consider covering the board with Cork. Whilst this adds expense, it has the benefit of protecting the board from any glue you may apply to your layout. It also allows you to make changes or alterations to your layout without damaging the baseboard as the cork can be easily cut and replaced as and when needed. Old track can be easily lifted, replaced and cleaned.

May I suggest you also consider covering the board with Cork. Whilst this adds expense, it has the benefit of protecting the board from any glue you may apply to your layout. It also allows you to make changes or alterations to your layout without damaging the baseboard as the cork can be easily cut and replaced as and when needed. Old track can be easily lifted, replaced and cleaned.

I did this with a previous layout, using 12" cork tiles

Yes, I accept your advice Old Barney. I have cork Roll on order! One thing I liked about the cork is it actually 'cushions' the track making it 'less noisy' than the bare plywood.

Though feedback in the UK, seems to suggest this is not the case, as once ballasted typically set in PVA, the whole edifice is made rigid so that little sound deadening actually occurs, the trend seems to be away from cork to direct to plywood. ( with sound reading being added underneath in some cases via foam,

Built my baseboards today using 50 x 40mm redwood and 9mm birch plywood (top of the range). This ply is high quality and poses no risk of warping or twisting. Glued and screw to the strong frame it doesn't require and intermediate runners. I'm not sure on whether to cover it with cork even though I have already bought it but I'm looking forward to starting to lay some track this weekend.

Am sure you will get good value from your birch ply. I only use 6mm, but it is quality stuff and has survived numerous exhibitions without problems. Not sure if cork tiles are worth it, though certainly better than sheet as nice and flat to begin with.

As for painting, find that a coat of primer on the underside of baseboards helps with wiring etc as gives a clear white background to any work. Top surface less important, especially as scenery, glue, filler are going on anyway.

Built my baseboards today using 50 x 40mm redwood and 9mm birch plywood (top of the range). This ply is high quality and poses no risk of warping or twisting. Glued and screw to the strong frame it doesn't require and intermediate runners. I'm not sure on whether to cover it with cork even though I have already bought it but I'm looking forward to starting to lay some track this weekend.

Hi Tony,

Yes Plywood is the best,put the cork unter the track's

best regards

Walter

Am sure you will get good value from your birch ply. I only use 6mm, but it is quality stuff and has survived numerous exhibitions without problems. Not sure if cork tiles are worth it, though certainly better than sheet as nice and flat to begin with.

As for painting, find that a coat of primer on the underside of baseboards helps with wiring etc as gives a clear white background to any work. Top surface less important, especially as scenery, glue, filler are going on anyway.

my own are on the CAD as we speak ( and I must acknowledge a fellow MERG member for his contribution ) , They are 4mm and 6mm laser but grid system , that supports the track board ( 6mm ply 0 all ply is european Birch , with interior grade glue. ( laser cuttable )

Don't bother with the cork Tony, it doesn't reduce noise that much. Try PU foam or closed cell foam, this won't degrade over time and is excellent at reducing noise.

I use it quite a bit and recently used it on a layout where the client required it to be as quiet as possible. I covered the entire baseboard that way the ballast does not touch the baseboard and transfer noise back to the baseboard. I glued the track down rather than pin it down. Works a treat!