Railwayana

Rate this topic

Hello all!

As the title suggests, does anyone here have any form of railwayana in their home or railway room? And would care to share with the rest of us? I have my own few NCC cast iron plates and I'll post some pictures up tomorrow but I was just wondering if other people have any gems either Irish or U.K.

Nelson

Edit: I know the "a" is missing from the title, any way to fix this?

Edited by Dunluce Castle

Actually, I do have a couple of small items to hand...

A first class free pass for Sligo, Leitrim & Northern Counties Railway services, which was issued to Savage French, who was the Deputy Chairman of the Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway at the time.

2whpai0.jpg

zjjmmv.jpg

I have another one somewhere, too, among other bits and pieces.

And here's another SLNCR piece - a letter from the railway's Locomotive Superintendent, G E Egan, to the renowned railway photographer HC Casserley:

flisec.jpg

Edited by Garfield

A few more bits

P1010957.jpg

Not Irish I know but the Ponderous Carriages always caught my fancy

James Williams, Secretary had some dealings with the Irish Railway Commission.

P1090770_zps3jnaydor.jpg

P1090772_zpsvguqcswd.jpg

P1090774_zpspfp6zvws.jpg

This came from Co Cork, from in front of a Station Masters house if I remember correctly, which I havent done for a while now.

P1090777_zpsge8zjkdr.jpg

jhb171 Senior had an identical one! He would have joined the PWI about 1944. When he died two years ago, he was the oldest member of it in Ireland, and the last from the GNR(I) or NCC, as far as anyone was then aware, and also the last surviving GSR white-collar staff member, also as far as anyone knew. (He worked for all 3 companies, as well as the UTA and the LMS in England).

Though I did spot this recently.. Dubious vintage apparently

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26634[/ATTACH]

That is the real thing, that was attached to the cabin up until 5 years or so ago.

GSR/CIE bilingual signs weren't always enamelled, a few were simply painted onto sheet steel.

Probably better off indoors before the paint fades any further or peels off.

That is the real thing, that was attached to the cabin up until 5 years or so ago.

GSR/CIE bilingual signs weren't always enamelled, a few were simply painted onto sheet steel.

Probably better off indoors before the paint fades any further or peels off.

Yes indeed - it is the real deal. And again, I would recommend keeping it indoors.

Anyone what this is from?

Heavy piece of kit

P1090791_zpskjzpyj6y.jpg

Non Railway but just liked it, Road Traffic Act 1933, vehicle plate, might be from a horse drawn yoke?

P1090357_zpsh0m2dku6.jpg

SWL plate, probably from one of those hand cranked cranes that used be on loading banks.

EDIT 4 1/2 T might be a bit much for those, perhaps a small travelling crane.

Second one, could be bus or truck.

No way of knowing unless you trawl the records with the number.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

The second one....I think the top bit reads "Road Transport Act 1933" - am I right? And the lower bit means "licence plate". Thus, it is off a commercial (privately owned) registered lorry. It must be remembered that at that time the GSR had almost a monopoly of road freight. I am not sure if ownership records are still held for that period - if they are, bear in mind that the vehicle could have had many owners in its lifetime.

Actually - just thinking - since the GSR was a private commercial company, rather than a state or nationalised entity, it could in theory be off a GSR lorry.

The second one....I think the top bit reads "Road Transport Act 1933" - am I right? And the lower bit means "licence plate". Thus, it is off a commercial (privately owned) registered lorry. It must be remembered that at that time the GSR had almost a monopoly of road freight. I am not sure if ownership records are still held for that period - if they are, bear in mind that the vehicle could have had many owners in its lifetime.

Actually - just thinking - since the GSR was a private commercial company, rather than a state or nationalised entity, it could in theory be off a GSR lorry.

The lower bit says 'vehicle plate'.

The modern version of this now carried by private buses is an oval alloy plate with just 'Public Service Vehicle' in Irish and an ID number usually fixed up front inside the bus. I have one somewhere with the reg numbers of previous buses that carried it scratched into the backside of it, so as well as going through several owners the plate could have been carried by more than one vehicle. I believe CIE buses had to carry them at one point but not any more.

CIE Conductors used wear an oval badge headed 'F.S.P.' (Public Service Vehicle abbreviated in Irish), a central number and 'Fear Stiurtha' (lit. Steering Man, not to be confused with Driver 'Tiomanai') underneath from a time when it couldn't be imagined there would be such a thing as a female bus conductor. Can be seen here worn by Albert Finney in A Man Of No Importance.

A-Man-Of-No-Importance-1994-1.jpg

Edited by minister_for_hardship