Irish "Deltic" Avoiding the Pub Nonsense

Rate this topic

roxyguy

Shortened "Irish Deltic"?

Or "Celtic"..?

The plan was to paint it in early green/grey roof/white flashes. I am open to suggestions, early silver might look smart?

Black'n'tan could be interesting too.... maybe take a photo and put it on a photoshop thing and try different variations without actually painting....

"White flashes"? - CIE green (either variety) wouldn't have had anything white......pale green would fit as EDN.

Black'n'tan could be interesting too.... maybe take a photo and put it on a photoshop thing and try different variations without actually painting....

"White flashes"? - CIE green (either variety) wouldn't have had anything white......pale green would fit as EDN.

What I mean by white is the V shapes at the front of the cab might look good in white against the green. I am not an expert on liveries, but yes eau-de-nil might be more appropriate. Cheers. I am sorry now I didn't go with silver!!

I might have to do another one.

On steam locos (and buses) where there is a definite 'leading end' (smokebox/drivers cab) the snails are 'normal' on LHS and 'reversed' on RHS so that the upper 'wings' point in direction of travel.

That convention may or may not have been followed religiously though.

I see, I actually looked at my wolly and a bus before applying the transfers, oh well!

flying_snail_by_ptarionn-d691hfl.png

Snails always confuse me. Does that mean these are wrong too?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26609[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26610[/ATTACH]

No, they're correct, believe it or not! "Back to front" ones, i.e. facing the other way, were used on the driver's side of lorries and buses, and that side of steam loco tenders, but never on trams, carriages, wagons or diesel locos. If you look at the other side of the tender, provided they've done it correctly, it should face the other way, i.e. the "normal" way with upper bit pointing left. Actually, to be strictly accurate, the snail should also be lined in gold....

No, they're correct, believe it or not! "Back to front" ones, i.e. facing the other way, were used on the driver's side of lorries and buses, and that side of steam loco tenders, but never on trams, carriages, wagons or diesel locos. If you look at the other side of the tender, provided they've done it correctly, it should face the other way, i.e. the "normal" way with upper bit pointing left. Actually, to be strictly accurate, the snail should also be lined in gold....

Cheers for that. Im gonna leave them the way they are - just for future reference! So I don't do it arseways again.

Never mind the diesel, Roxy; (a) it's yours and your call, (b) it's a light hearted and fictitious thing, and © it looks great! Fun is what this hobby should all be about. Keep 'er lit! :-)

Cheers for that and I agree, I don't take any of it seriously. Also i need to avoid the pub this weekend also, christ knows what will happen.

Cheers for that and I agree, I don't take any of it seriously. Also i need to avoid the pub this weekend also, christ knows what will happen.

I can reassure you, Roxyguy. I'm just back from the pub, and nothing happened beyond a conversation about passenger train make-ups in the 1970s with a partner-in-crime, known to those here. Thursday night; now that's different; that'll be a longer session.