head lights not working

Rate this question

controller

Question

Hi all, I have just purchased a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance.I programmed all the locos I have and everything is working fine, except my MM IR 201 and 071 head lights. Marker lights and cab lights are all working fine. FO 0 will turn on the marker lights, FO 3 and 4 will turn on the cab lights. FO 2 will turn on the head lights, but only for a couple of seconds. Any advice on what I need to do, to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Controller.

Hi Lads, Just a quick update on attempts to get my headlights working constant on my 071 and 201 locos. First of all, thanks for all your advice. I played around with the CVs you gave me, Irishthump. It did not work out the way it was suppose to,but after some changes to the ones you gave me I finally got the headlights, marker lights, and cab lights to stay on constant. I use different F numbers on the controller,but not F2. I am happy with the final result. Thanks.

Controller.

Troops

I am messing around with 4 function chips ( Bachmann & LAIS)

I am not interested in cab lights, only ever used them to check for dirty sections on the track

I am having trouble with the headlights, I have front and rear side lights but cannot seem to get the headlight working properly

Anyone solved this problem?

Hi wrennie

I bit more info required?

You say the head light is not working 'properly'?

Does that mean it come on and something weird is happening, or is it not coming on at all?

Are you using the yellow and white wires to run the headlight? these are directional.

Or are you using the green or purple wires?- as they are not directional and require 'push on button'

The Doctor

Doc

The trouble is that the headlight will come on, when I change direction it remains on with the red rear lights

F2 gives me a headlight again with the red sidelights

Thumper produced this which is for 6 function, I am trying to use 4 function, cab lights are of no interest

Any idea what CV's I can abandon for the cab lights?

First, CVs 16 and 32 need to be given the following values. This step is very important!

CV31 = 16, CV32 = 2

Then programme the following CVs like so:

CV363 = 16

CV379 = 32

CV426 = 4

CV442 = 8

CV458 = 16

CV474 = 32

Hi Dave. I've 21pin 4 function decoders working ok in 141, 071 and 201s (Lais and Lenz), and the direction lights inc head lamp are working ok, the only thing not working is cab lights which doesn't bother me in the least either. From memory you need to turn F0,F1 & F2 on to get all lights working ok, but will pop a loco on some track in few mins to double check I've got that right, and edit this post. Noel

F0 = Fwd running lights on (white)

F1 = Rear running lights on (red)

F2 = fwd head light on

Turn F0 & F1 on for running lights, and F2 to turn head lamp on and off as appropriate (e.g. off entering stations). Change of direction will automatically swap the directional running lights.

Edited by Noel
more info

Hi Wrennie

I've not played with those CVs up in the 300 n 400, so cant give you advise on them. I have tried to program a 4 function chip with JMRI, following instructions from a DCC book to alter the lights- but had no luck. I came to the conclusion that the instructions were for a specific chip and would not work on the one I was trying to program! This may also be the case using the CV settings thumper posted up?

My best advise for now is 'Stay warm and drink plenty of liquids' for thumper may be along soon....

The Doctor

Hi Dave. I've 21pin 4 function decoders working ok in 141, 071 and 201s (Lais and Lenz), and the direction lights inc head lamp are working ok, the only thing not working is cab lights which doesn't bother me in the least either. From memory you need to turn F0,F1 & F2 on to get all lights working ok, but will pop a loco on some track in few mins to double check I've got that right, and edit this post. Noel

F0 = Fwd running lights on (white)

F1 = Rear running lights on (red)

F2 = fwd head light on

Turn F0 & F1 on for running lights, and F2 to turn head lamp on and off as appropriate (e.g. off entering stations). Change of direction will automatically swap the directional running lights.

Noel,

Which decoder are you using in the 071/201?

The Lais decoder seems to have the exact same manual as the Gaugemaster decoders which means they can be a bit limited when trying to map the lighting functions.

Prodigy

Just stays on when I hold F2 down

That's your problem. F2 on the Prodigy is "non-latching" so it only stays on while pressed down. All the other function buttons stay on when pressed once. You need to move it to another function button. Give us a few mins....

Noel, Which decoder are you using in the 071/201?

Hi Graham.

It was a laisdcc, which seems to be an identical a rip off of the TCS M4, so TCS function remapping might work. Mine worked out of the box with default settings on 071 and 201 using F0,F1,F2 as posted above and direction changes ok. Controller was an NCE. Wonder if the dip switches on the loco might have been accidentally changed?

Noel

Some Laisdcc feedback: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5706-DCC-Decoders?highlight=lais

Edited by Noel

What about a Bachmann chip?

As far as I remember the 141's operate fine with a Lais hip

Not sure about the function mapping on the Bachmann, have to look into it.

The Lais works fine on the 141 because there's only 2 lighting functions to be mapped, the 071/201's have 4.

I have tried a few different Lais chips in the 201 and they all seem to have the same problem

Been through most of the suggested remaps and I cannot get them to operate as per the MM chips in the 201

I have changed CV 32 to 16 previously and had the same result as Thumper suggested

I was really hoping for it to operate the same as the MM one

Hi Graham.

It was a laisdcc, which seems to be an identical a rip off of the TCS M4, so TCS function remapping might work. Mine worked out of the box with default settings on 071 and 201 using F0,F1,F2 as posted above and direction changes ok. Controller was an NCE. Wonder if the dip switches on the loco might have been accidentally changed?

Noel

Some Laisdcc feedback: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/5706-DCC-Decoders?highlight=lais

Yeah the TCS looks the same too. The Lais manual is a carbon copy of the Gaugemaster DCC25.

It looks like Dave's problem is actually the controller's F2 not being a latching function.

I have tried a few different Lais chips in the 201 and they all seem to have the same problem

Been through most of the suggested remaps and I cannot get them to operate as per the MM chips in the 201

I have changed CV 32 to 16 previously and had the same result as Thumper suggested

I was really hoping for it to operate the same as the MM one

Just to clarify, did that change I suggested move the other light to F3?

The problem is the MM chip (ESU Lokpilot) is higher spec than the Lais or Bachmann which are budget decoders (fine for normal use but lacking extra features). Having said that the Lais have a lot of programming options for lighting effects like gyro lights, dimming and strobes but these are aimed at US modellers.

Edited by irishthump

071 fix for non Murphy chips

CV 34 = 2

CV 35 = 4

CV 36 = 8

No cab lights with these 4 function chips

Hi Dave.

Is that specific to the Bachmann 36-557 decoder (i.e. SoundTraxx MC1)? CVs use is very different for specific decoders.

Noel