modelling MGWR flat bottom track

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

Has anyone successfully modelled this type off light weight flat bottom track . Code 65 rail maybe or any ideas.

Also unlike in the US where this was spiked directly onto the rail, I beleive in ireland it was laid in a form of " chair"

, as in

FBchair.jpg

But some close examination of Odea collection , shows that seeming early flat bottom seemed to be secured by a chair screw/bolt on either side , with either a very small "pad" or no pad at all.

Its has been stated here before that the main line of the MGWR was flat bottom till the mid seventies, but there is ample evidence from 1960 around claremoris that the track was all bullhead, this of course could have been as a result of the major modifications to the station in the 40s

9 answers to this question

Without dimensions and decent photographs, and/or a cross-sectional drawing or photo, it's almost impossible to compare to a code of rail.

Have you got any measurements? R

No not really , to be honest its what I can get in model form that will dictate , PECO do a code 65 FB in nickel silver , i.e 65 thou ( inches ) high which many modellers in the UK use as 00 gauge " conductor rail ". This I think is the closest that I can get to the lighter rail

Do you or anyone know the typical MGWR weight of FB rail compared to bullhead , MGWR I believe had both heavy and light , the ballinrobe branch , like the loughrea branch was actually laid with spiked rail, ala US . Various pictures in the Odea collection show the siding in claremorris built with both spiked and these flat chairs , infact anything goes it seems

I think Mayner , knows a bit about this

I was thinking of having an etch done for these plates above, but again , I dont know if CIE was copying an older design or whether this is in fact a relatively new "chair ". The picture above is from Wellington Bridge, but the same chairs were until recently found in the roads to the turntable in claremorris

From what I've read, the track is 80 Lbs/yard as opposed to the heavier 120 variety for mainline. I've added the profile to the library, and in scale it works out at .65 inches high. Atlas code 65 true track would be the stuff you'll need, I reckon.

edit* but is it worth the hassle of fitting N gauge track, wheel clearances, tread depth for a measly 0.2mm when code 75 wouldn't be seen by a blind man?

Flatbottomed_Rail_Profile.jpg

Edited by Glenderg

The MGWR & the GSR used BS11 90lb rail to re-lay the Dublin-Galway main line and the Mayo Road during the 1920. The branches were re-laid with 80-85lb rail cascaded from the main lines around the same time. The Sligo Line was re-laid around the same time with BS11 85lb rail.

On the main lines rails were laid on cast iron soleplates cast to give a 1:20 cant to the railhead similar to bullhead chairs and screwed down with fangbolts.

The BS 11 90Lb rail had a height of 5" 5/8 or 1.88mm”& foot width of 5 3/16” which scales out at 1.73mm which leaves the Code 75 fb rail reasonably close. The 85lb rail had the same foot width as the 90lb rail but marginally lower at 53/16”.

Brassmasters http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/track_details.htm produce etched brass soleplates are based on a British military pattern quite different in appearance to the cast soleplates used in Ireland

I have been planning to build a 21mm gauge model based on Kiltimagh the next station up the line from Claremorris for the best part of 20 years, intending to use Code 75 on the running lines and Code 60 in the sidings.

Arigna Town uses code 100fb rail in 7mm scale. The usual bullhead stuff is code 124 I think. It was solder construction on PCB sleepers.

Guess I could have tried to replicate chairs or spikes, but even in the larger scale, on a 12 foot scenic section the lack of them is not really noticeable, so unless a very small, highly detailed diorama, would think the same applies in 4mm and following Mayner's suggestion seems the best idea.

wow , thanks guys , loads to work on there

John Ive ordered some PECO code 65 FB , which I think will suit the repreentation of the lighter code 65 , but I agree Richie , is may me easier to just use ordinary 75 FB. we shall see

Alsi I will order the brassmasters soleplates for examination , I notice in ireland both 4 hole and 2 hole were produced. I was thinking of having an etch done for the irish soleplates as etches are quiet cheap to get made

IN claremorris , only the ballinrobe branch and the associated sidings were until last year laid in FB , ( and one siding to the other side of the main line ) . The majority of the station was laid in BH , presumably when the citation was remodelled with the addition of the third platform etc . SO for my era ( Supertrain ) BH in the station is spot on. But I will have a bash at the Ballinrobe in either soleplates or spiked

What happened to islands bridge 21mm P4 project ? , great to her someone following in Tony Mills footsteps

PS : thanks Richie for the link to the 21mm stuff, a great read

Ive just finished the crossover , so Ill have to replicate IslandBridges test in 00-SF

Edited by Junctionmad