When it went all wrong - the rocky horror show

Rate this topic

Noel

The one that got away :) Go back to 'GO' do not collect $200. At least I didn't destroy an MM mk2d.

This is when a novice gets it all wrong when I tried to weather this 1970s hornby mk2a

IMG_1290.jpg

Tried a 'wash' type of method on the roof and rubbed it off before a light dusting after, but it went horribly wrong. Also was all over the place with the air spray direction on the tumblehome.

IMG_1286.jpg

When I get time, will strip this again back to the plastic, and instead of trying to weather the orange plastic will try a full respray over a grey primer and attempt to mix up a proper super train tan/orange colour. No harm done, these coaches were scrap anyway but good guinea pig donors for my learning curve. So much to learn but it is fun experimenting.

Edited by Noel
typo lexdysia

You are destroying history here Noel

Hornby Mk 2a's rare as hens teeth

Lima Vent Van with Broken Wheel..

Stop

I am sending round the Model Railway Police!!!!

36-041_16637_Qty1_1_zpszgcrnlha.jpg

Sorry Dave. But look on the bright side, I haven't destroyed a Murphy Model IR/IE Mk2d! :) (yet)

PS: Anyway those Police constables aren't Guards :) :) So no jurisdiction down our way.

PS2: Any suggestions where can I get replacement metal wheels for the Lima Vent Vans without paying a kings ransom? They have a shorter axle (24.5mm) than Bachmann and Hornby (26.5mm). My Lima's have plastic wheels.

The Lima vans now have a new lease of life and are only very lightly dusted, enough to get the shinny gloss off each plank of wood :)

IMG_1293.jpg

The old Hornby mk2a's on platform 5 were sacrificed to save me from making a mess of the lovely MM mk2d's on platform 3

IMG_1292.jpg

Edited by Noel

It could be worse, I almost destroyed the body of a large scale diesel with paint stripper. I used one of the modern citrus based strippers to remove paint from the long hood of an American diesel was kit bashing into something else and managed to dissolve most of the detail from the doors.

In our case the Rocky Horror Show analogy is particularly apt, Richard O'Brien lived in our house when his family lived in Hamilton during the 1960s

The one that got away :) Go back to 'GO' do not collect $200. At least I didn't destroy an MM mk2d.

This is when a novice gets it all wrong when I tried to weather this 1970s hornby mk2a

IMG_1290.jpg

Tried a 'wash' type of method on the roof and rubbed it off before a light dusting after, but it went horribly wrong. Also was all over the place with the air spray direction on the tumblehome.

IMG_1286.jpg

When I get time, will strip this again back to the plastic, and instead of trying to weather the orange plastic will try a full respray over a grey primer and attempt to mix up a proper super train tan/orange colour. No harm done, these coaches were scrap anyway but good guinea pig donors for my learning curve. So much to learn but it is fun experimenting.

Looks great! Stick some moss on it and put it in the preservation siding

Looks great!

Oh no it doesn't :) It's hideous and will never be allowed to run on the layout looking like that. Kevin, You are too kind, but perhaps the photos don't reveal just how awful it is.

Stick some moss on it and put it in the preservation siding

That would be grossly unfair to the moss :) I'll enjoy stripping it down, a coat of Halfords grey primer and then start again with actual orange paint. Another training exercise when time permits.

You are destroying history here Noel

Hornby Mk 2a's rare as hens teeth

Lima Vent Van with Broken Wheel..

Stop

I am sending round the Model Railway Police!!!!

36-041_16637_Qty1_1_zpszgcrnlha.jpg

I hear ya. I picked up a Lima 201 back in the day when they were worth money. Someone had hand weathered it with brown enamel. Oh the humanity!!