Mick's Bandon tank

Rate this topic

Mike 84C

Thanks Mike for posting, I have heard that this kit is not the one to start with but you seem to be managing it OK. I see there is resin part in the build, are you using Hornblocks? At this rate you will have it ready for the June Show.

Great stuff. Well done Mick - told you everyone would like it! The signature loco for Bantry. Indeed am thinking you probably ought to have more than one...

Will now be wondering if I can justify one on Arigna. Alphagraphix have one in their 7mm catalogue, but then they can also equip a Timoleague and Courtmacsherry layout. All very tempting!

Thank for the encouragement, it is definitely read the instructions twice and cut once and I have still made a couple of c**k ups! must learn to kick self!

Kirely, no its going to be rigid chassis and the resin part is the joining part between boiler and firebox. This one is going to have a Belpair not a roundtop firebox.

Nelson, glad you like the loco and my photography! which I am usually pretty naff at. My new camera has far to many functions for an old git like me. I'm more of a " KISS" sort of person.

Mick

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A couple more photos. I used Precision paints two pack etch primer on the frames then a light blow over with Halfords grey primer. Before all that I scrubbed the parts with Tesco scouring cream and a mutilated tooth brush when dry, carefully scrubbed again with xyelene and left to dry. I have left the frames to dry for 72hrs in a warm place so I hope all will go well with the topcoats!The Bandon Tank 2.JPG

The Bandon Tank 1.JPG

• Like 1

Splendid work Mick. Well done.

Reading JBs notes on livery, my MGW G2 was done using Martin Welch's standard weathering mix of Humbrol matt black, gunmetal 53, and brown 133 (used to be called bauxite). Depends how dirty you want it and don't have much knowledge of the condition Bandon engines got into. That said, with no undercover accommodation at Cork, they may have been pretty grimey.

A 1950s feel would involve all steam pre-1954, with GSWR 2.4.2 tank locos, one or two MGWR "E" 9560) class 0.6.0 tanks, and above all the "Bandon Tanks" on the main line. On the main line alone, there would be work for at least six Bandon Tanks.

1954 - 1958 means steam on branches and goods, with AEC railcars on the main line passenger; two return trips a day to Bantry, usually with a three coach set. The centre car was normally a Park Royal, and old Bredin or a laminate, though initially a wooden bogie either as a centre car or being towed. This was most likely to be a former GSWR main line corridor coach if used as a centre car.

1955 brings laminates and Park Royals, the usual centre car material until the end.

1958 brings a big revolution, with steam almost eliminated overnight with the introduction of the "C" class. No other diesel class was ever used in West Cork, except for one or two trial run experiments of light engines. I think an "A" might have got as far as Ballinhassig at least on a trial ruin, possibly Bandon. The "C"s were used on the Baltimore - Drimoleague section, now downgraded from main line to branch, on the Clonakilty / Courtmacsherry section, and on main line goods.

If we examine the 1960 Working Timetable, we see that in order to operate the full service, on any one day one railcar set and five "C"'s are needed.

When the railcar was away for servicing, steam sometimes deputised, with a Bandon Tank or a GSWR 2.4.2T on the passenger train, though more normally a "C" or a different railcar set.

Excursions brought 90 & 100 to Ballinascarthy. A "C" or steam would bring the train to there, but the two smaller locos took over because of the light track. Only non-corridor bogie carriages of short length could be used on this line due to severe curvatures of track here and there. To that end, several elderly ex-GSWR coaches and at least one ex-CBSCR one were retained for this purpose. Former MGWR six-wheelers made appearances on the main line from time to time, as well as on the Drimoleague - Skibbereen - Baltimore line; the sight of one of these behind a brand new "C" with a brand new tin van at the other end was, to say the least, bizarre; even more so when a heavily loaded three-coach AEC railcar set had such an elderly six-wheeler tagged on behind.

All in all, an absolutely fascinating period and location for any layout.

Such steam as remained was a combination of:

Excursions brought 90 & 100 to Ballinascarthy. A "C" or steam would bring the train to there, but the two smaller locos took over because of the light track. Only non-corridor bogie carriages of short length could be used on this line due to severe curvatures of track here and there. To that end, several elderly ex-GSWR coaches and at least one ex-CBSCR one were retained for this purpose. Former MGWR six-wheelers made appearances on the main line from time to time, as well as on the Drimoleague - Skibbereen - Baltimore line; the sight of one of these behind a brand new "C" with a brand new tin van at the other end was, to say the least, bizarre; even more so when a heavily loaded three-coach AEC railcar set had such an elderly six-wheeler tagged on behind.

:

Now there is something I'd love to time travel back to!

Now there is something I'd love to time travel back to!

Likewise!

And add in the Cork City line. A weekly crossing of the resident AEC set for servicing, transfers of cattle, beet and goods traffic daily or twice daily. Shunting on both Penrose Quay and the West Cork Side too.

I forgot to mention earlier that the beet season brought ex-MGWR "E" (J16) class 0.6.0Ts in, and these worked the Courtmacsherry and Clonakilty lines, where the beet was loaded. 560 was a regular and was also to be found doing occasional trips between Tralee and Fenit at the time.

I used to have her numberplate, still in grey with raised pale yellow numerals. I sold it many, many years ago during a period of financial impecunity, only to find out afterwards that 560 was originally MGWR No. 115 "Achill"; a loco which was regular on that line at its opening!

As the great philisopher Homer might have said, "D'Oh"!!!!

Thanks for the praise lads, I have taken my time and not rushed the build. I was certain about livery but an all black No 464 does appeal!

But I am going to get the chassis back together and running next and hope I do not fall at the last fence! There is potential!

I have no previous experience of building etched loco kits and it has gone together well. So its thanks to Wheshty for producing a good kit. No connection, only a happy customer.

Had a delve at livery records in view of your enthusiasm about a black 464!

Yes, it was 464, but I had also forgotten about 467, which was painted unlined green for DSER services.

In traffic in the fifties, there were six of these engines. (465 & 469 had been scrapped in 1945).

These were:

463 - grey

464 - black after 1958

466 - grey

467 - painted green, but unlined, and sent to Dublin for suburban work.

468 - grey

470 - grey

All others, 90, 100, and ex MGWR and GSWR locos were grey from the late 1920s until withdrawn between 1959 and 1961.

The green one did appear from time to time in Cork, and while I have no record of it going onto the CBSCR system in the 50s, it might have done.

With 464 in black, you're looking at 1958-61.

If early 50s is preferred, then everything is grey, and you'll get away without railcars!

Incidentally, in terms of wagons, the West Cork system had many very elderly antiques right to the end. Those brass kits of "soft-tops" would be appropriate, and many a cattle truck would be needed.

Edited by jhb171achill

Thanks for that JHB I think a black one is the way to go and if I do another, well the choice is mine! One of the guys in the group, another John, is getting a railcar and I would like a Metro Vick C class so it looks like late fifties and there's road vehicles for that period.

Well 464 is a step closer, motors in and the wheels go round with no binding. Running on croc clips at the moment I have to work out an unobtrusive pickup as I am not sure about plungers, there is not much room and I don't want to take the wheels off again. :facepalm:

Thanks for that JHB I think a black one is the way to go and if I do another, well the choice is mine! One of the guys in the group, another John, is getting a railcar and I would like a Metro Vick C class so it looks like late fifties and there's road vehicles for that period.

Well 464 is a step closer, motors in and the wheels go round with no binding. Running on croc clips at the moment I have to work out an unobtrusive pickup as I am not sure about plungers, there is not much room and I don't want to take the wheels off again. :facepalm:

C class locos and railcars will fit in well with the sole black Bandon tank; 1958 it is!

It's great to see the grey-green era now getting the attention that the black'n'tan and Supertrain eras have in recent years.

• 1 month later...

Here's 464, buffer plank needs painting and a few paint chips touching in. How does that happen? when you take great care! Next a light touch of weathering which I hope will hide the shadow on the bunker and wheel balance weights. Is there a secret formulae for working out the top curve on balance weights? The B4 is posed in front of my solitary nearly finished Bredin. Door handles, pulls and paint the ends, maybe some passengers?

Cropped 464.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations on building such a lovely model and your carriage is almost there so you will make your deadline. I'm sure you enjoyed doing the water pipes on the roof, there is so much detail there. As you say a little bit of weathering will take the edge of the locomotives finish. Excellent job all round.

Mick you have just convinced me that at some stage I need to buy a Bandon tank kit, just how I am going to get around to justifing the fact she may appear in the North West Of Ireland coming out of Sligo on a cattle special I just don't know as yet.

a nice looking model by the way and well done.

Colin