Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

One of our members is building a Bandon Tank and has a C.I.E diesel on a rtr chassis.I have a Silver Fox 2 car Rail car set

on order.Its not easy obtaining the correct stock but we will get there!

What we do need are photos of the Goods shed and cattle pens-these have so far eluded us.

One of our members is building a Bandon Tank and has a C.I.E diesel on a rtr chassis.I have a Silver Fox 2 car Rail car set

on order.Its not easy obtaining the correct stock but we will get there!

What we do need are photos of the Goods shed and cattle pens-these have so far eluded us.

There's quite a lot available. There were some ex-GSWR six wheelers on it - Worsley do nice kits. Leslie's wagons are perfect, and the GNR cattle wagon would do. One GNR wooden coach still in brown ended up there. "C" class diesels, of course, too, and Bandon tanks and the J26 ex-Midland tank, for which there's also a kit.

Corrugated wagons and wooden ones, H vans..... a Park Royal would suit as a railcar centre car (or a laminate) - would make the railcar set more realistic.

Well done folks. Heard about this from Mike at Doncaster show and had a feeling it would be good. Having visited Bantry last summer (rather too much liquid sunshine that day) can see the setting is splendid. Can also see already that you have the skills to do it justice!

As we all know, sourcing appropriate stock for Irish projects can be a problem, but stuff is out there and as long as you can make stuff run nicely then all the other skills (bodywork, detailing) are eminently transferable.

A fantastic project that deserves to do well and will be looking forward to seeing it progress

The West Cork s an excellent project for a model, unfortunately for 4mm modeller there is far more suitable locos and stock available in O Gauge tanks to Alphagraix & Tyronnell models.

Should be a good opportunity for scratchbuilding and kit bashing with such a variety of locos and stock. Someone will need to tackle an ex-DSER 2-4-2T the regular Drimleague_Bantry passenger loco up to the arrival of the AEC railcars.

The Triang-Hornby GWR clearstory should be a good basis for kitbashing CBSCR shortie bogie coaches

It's great to see, now that the "black and tan" era is beginning to be well covered, the "grey, green and silver" era being taken on board properly.

Why do I feel so nostalgic for an era that preceeds me by a good 15 years?? Gas.

Why do I feel so nostalgic for an era that preceeds me by a good 15 years?? Gas.

I read an article years and years ago somewhere which examined the psychology of those who follow hobbies in general. Apparently, hobbies which deal in the past - anything historical - and much of model railwaying falls squarely into this category - will commonly be based in, or find primary interest in, a period immediately before the enthusiast was born. This is because we see adventure in this as we did not yet know it, and yet it is comparatively recent so we can relate to it.

What do ye all think of that!

It's true! My earliest years of "railway consciousness" were the early 1960s. I can remember a 121 newly painted black'n'tan from grey, NCC and GNR steam, AEC railcars as if it was yesterday, and trips on the Ardee and Loughrea branches. Cattle trucks, goods yards, the smell of creosote on timber sleepers on a hot day....and so on. Green Dublin buses, green UTA buses.... UTA crests and flying snails on all things that moved, parcels being loaded and unloaded from elderly vans tagged onto the back of passenger trains, old wooden station bookstalls, whistles, the ding-ding and clanking of signal box levers....

....and THAT is my modelling era! A 1922-based MGWR layout, mouthwatering though it might be, is just a bit too "previous" for someone of my vintage, though jhb171Senior would have loved it. And DD sets, Mk 2, 3 and 4 carriages, 201s and 071s....for ME......sorry..... too modern. Ten a penny.

Listen all ye younger ones; and remember where ye heard it first. There will come a day, saith the Sage, when YOU will wax lyrical about the 40th anniversary of the good old Mk.4 carriages, Gawd rest 'em, and you will save for the €565 fare for the run to Greystones with the last surviving preserved ICR, repainted in its original silver and whatever it is. And you will look at the day's 300 miles per hour woodchip-powered 7000 class DMUs running on the train line from Dublin (Trainstation) to Belfast (Bus station) and think "why make a model out of THAT?".

Now, to my friends here on this board of a certain vintage, back me up? I can't be the only one who dribbles at the sight of a silver "C" shunting cattle trucks, a filthy J15 with green six-wheelers, or an AEC set with two cars in UTA green and one still in blue and cream! And snoozes every time a 2600 goes to Cobh, and a 3000 goes to Londonderry / Derry / Stroke City / Derrylondon.

Edited by jhb171achill

Not convinced about the proposal .as my layouts are between 30 and 40 years before i was born. all set in a country i've no connection with.The only one at least in the right area ,my broad gauge Marlborough one is 100 years before iwas born so bang goes someones theory for me at least Andy.

I read an article years and years ago somewhere which examined the psychology of those who follow hobbies in general. Apparently, hobbies which deal in the past - anything historical - and much of model railwaying falls squarely into this category - will commonly be based in, or find primary interest in, a period immediately before the enthusiast was born. This is because we see adventure in this as we did not yet know it, and yet it is comparatively recent so we can relate to it.

What do ye all think of that!

It's true! My earliest years of "railway consciousness" were the early 1960s. I can remember a 121 newly painted black'n'tan from grey, NCC and GNR steam, AEC railcars as if it was yesterday, and trips on the Ardee and Loughrea branches. Cattle trucks, goods yards, the smell of creosote on timber sleepers on a hot day....and so on. Green Dublin buses, green UTA buses.... UTA crests and flying snails on all things that moved, parcels being loaded and unloaded from elderly vans tagged onto the back of passenger trains, old wooden station bookstalls, whistles, the ding-ding and clanking of signal box levers....

....and THAT is my modelling era! A 1922-based MGWR layout, mouthwatering though it might be, is just a bit too "previous" for someone of my vintage, though jhb171Senior would have loved it. And DD sets, Mk 2, 3 and 4 carriages, 201s and 071s....for ME......sorry..... too modern. Ten a penny.

Listen all ye younger ones; and remember where ye heard it first. There will come a day, saith the Sage, when YOU will wax lyrical about the 40th anniversary of the good old Mk.4 carriages, Gawd rest 'em, and you will save for the €565 fare for the run to Greystones with the last surviving preserved ICR, repainted in its original silver and whatever it is. And you will look at the day's 300 miles per hour woodchip-powered 7000 class DMUs running on the train line from Dublin (Trainstation) to Belfast (Bus station) and think "why make a model out of THAT?".

Now, to my friends here on this board of a certain vintage, back me up? I can't be the only one who dribbles at the sight of a silver "C" shunting cattle trucks, a filthy J15 with green six-wheelers, or an AEC set with two cars in UTA green and one still in blue and cream! And snoozes every time a 2600 goes to Cobh, and a 3000 goes to Londonderry / Derry / Stroke City / Derrylondon.

Where do I sign up? Brilliant JB, you crack me up. I can smell the cattle sidings and see black sulzers at work, mixed rakes of green flying snail and b&t coaches :) You'll never see a ford Mondeo at a vintage car rally in 70 years time and 22k's will never be preserved. When they are done, they should be recycled into rare snail species nests, or melted down to make uranium battery cages for hydrogen cell cars, or failing that recycled into electric bicycles :) Bantry Town Station looks like a fab project though, and as said could span a number of eras.

Not convinced about the proposal .as my layouts are between 30 and 40 years before i was born. all set in a country i've no connection with.The only one at least in the right area ,my broad gauge Marlborough one is 100 years before iwas born so bang goes someones theory for me at least Andy.

Could be, Andy; there's not one rule without an exception! Twas all the theory of some psychologist, I think; I don't remember the rest of the article though it made interesting reading and whether by accident or design would fit three generations of my clan....... maybe not others.....

Brilliant JB, you crack me up. I can smell the cattle sidings and see black sulzers at work, mixed rakes of green flying snail and b&t coaches :) You'll never see a ford Mondeo at a vintage car rally in 70 years time and 22k's will never be preserved. When they are done, they should be recycled into rare snail species nests, or melted down to make uranium battery cages for hydrogen cell cars, or failing that recycled into electric bicycles :) Bantry Town Station looks like a fab project though, and as said could span a number of eras.

As said above, Bantry station didn't change much - indeed, most stations on that system didn't either. Had it survived, the only probable change today would be the goods yard tarred over as a car park. Again, I take my hat off to the folks modelling it, and while set in the mid 50s (make it late 50s so you can include "C"s!) by simply running black'n'tan on it, a completely convincing 1965 appears, and operating maroon six wheelers instead of green ones takes you back to 1925 easily. The beauty about that is that all steam locos on the line were grey right through from mid 1920s to the end of steam, so the loco doesn't have to change. Some locos in West Cork kept their numberplates to the end instead of having the large numbers painted on by CIE, while others - even if they DID get the painted numbers - only got them late on (e.g. No. 90). Therefore, if the steam stock has painted over grey numberplates (not black, as at least one book suggests), then it can be set in any period at all from 1925 to 1961.

Well gentlemen I am really chuffed to read your comments, thank you very much. There are some very talented modellers in our club and we each offer advice if asked and even if not asked!! but the pressure is on for things to be running for June, even if the layout is work in progress.But John is the maestro on the buildings front and as they say watch this space :trains:

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kirley, I'll post some pictures, the loco is back into its constituent parts for painting. I have had it as a rolling chassis and although its not perfect as I'd like I am very pleased. The gear box was a little tricky to keep square! I am tempted to paint it with some US Floquil Grimey Black which is really a very dark grey or maybe Tamiya German grey which is also very dark.