bantree

Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

Bit like a London bus, recently - nothing for ages then several at once. Worth the wait though! Scenic wizardry.

• Like 1

Nothing I had experienced in the West Cork could have prepared me for Blaenau on a wet day.

I loved John's comment about North Wales - but of course, there was a positive side to it - the waterfall at Tanygrisiau would be in full flood and that was a sight to see!

When I saw Andy Cundick's Valentia, I commented on how wonderfully grey it was (boy, I've led  a few tours round the Ring of Kerry on rather dull days) - I did suggest to him that he have a glass front to the layout with rain somehow imitated on (in) it. If the German's can make  the glass opaque behind the driver in an ICE3 - by just flicking a switch - I'm sure imitation rain would be a cinch?

Mike - Bantry is an absolute delight - looking forward to seeing your GSWR brake van in the station!

Grounded Van body

This was an old kit not suitable for running so we made into a grounded van to fill a gap

DSCF2237.JPG

DSCF2238.JPG

DSCF2239.JPG

DSCF2240.JPG

DSCF2241.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Straight out of Martyn Welch's book, The Art of Weathering, methinks.

And none the worse for it. Still takes skill and application, so another fine job. There's a free grounded van kit in this month's Modeller if you need another!

Thanks folks. Correct David, especially the roof-first time I have tried it and it worked a treat!  Sounds like a good free gift in the Modeller,  something to practice on.

My three most used modelling books are The Art of Weathering, Gordon Gravett's book on Grassland and Landscape Detailing, plus John Ahern's book on Model Building Construction, the latter still extremely valid, even though first published 70 years ago. Mine isn't that old, in case you ask! Other books fill in the gaps, but with these three you can make a very realistic layout.

• Informative 2

They say that your deepest memories often involve scents.

A friend of mine is involved in the perfume industry and I once got involved in assessing various unisex concoctions. One of them received several similar verdicts along the lines of "damp shed" - having seen that marvellous grounded van above, I can smell it again now...

I agree with David on the first two, My other  preferred volume is Ian Rice's Plastic Structure Kits. My wife has bought me George Dent's new

book "Weathering for Railway Modellers -Buildings Scenery and the lineside"  for Christmas .First impressions are excellent.

PS Have bought the latest Railway Modeller-must have a go at another van body for my East Anglian layout!.

George Dent's books are excellent.  I bought both volumes on weathering which are superb and provide an in depth look at various weathering methods which I am looking forward to trying.

Ken

• Like 2

Martyn Welch waxes lyrical in the latest Model Railway Journal - weathering a RTR steel mineral using some of the latest powders and other techniques. Worth a read if you can get a copy.

Hi David

Been reading this article on rusting a 16ton Mineral Wagon-excellent as always

Have completed one (Bachmann) using the method in an older RM from Gordon Gravett-will post a picture if needed.

I still like the original method in The Art of Weathering. There is both logic and reality in putting rust on first, then covering it in Maskol, before spraying the top coat and peeling off the Maskol to reveal the rust underneath. Takes longer, but very satisfying.

Having said that, the alternative methods look pretty damned good too!

• Like 1