Irish Railway Models Ballast Wagon

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

The vast majority or Irish orders will land tomorrow, and I've spoken to most customers regarding delivery. However, given the volume of parcels/tracking numbers, and the fact that we're volunteers, I've not had time to email each person with a tracking number. If anyone has an urgent need for a tracking number, please email me on richard@irishrailwaymodels.com and I'll send it first thing.

(Hospital appointments/away for work, that sort of thing)

R.

Got mine over the weekend (thanks again very much Rich) and they are amazing wagons. The detail is top tier and the small wagons have a nice weight to them too with the ballast loaded. Well worth the wait and the price without question for anyone still on the fence about these. I'm even more excited to get my hands on the bubbles and the Taras look like they will raise the bar even higher.

Got mine today and had a good look at them this evening. I know that in the locomotive side of the hobby there are differences in opinion of what is the most important feature, running or accuracy. I always put accuracy first because I expect all current high end loco models to be good runners as a given. This is IRM's first model and their vision was to produce an accurate high end model of an Irish prototype at a reasonable price to the modeller. This wagon has ticked all the boxes and has set the bar to a new higher level.

The quality and finish of the wagon is fantastic in all areas such as the colour the printing, the sometimes delicate ( but exquisite )looking brake and under chassis detail. A huge plus also is the option for the 21mm modeller. IRM have constantly shared images of the CAD and first pre production models, and the very interesting piece on the tooling process was certainly something that you rarely if ever see from a manufacturer. It is also nice to see the areas that were amended from the earliest shot's of the models to the one we have now.

There are always ways for someone to add or change different parts of a model to make it more appealing to them. Apart form weathering, re gauging the wheels, changing couplings, or renumbering it, there aren't any other changes I could see myself doing to it, or that it need's, and not any that would improve it. I am delighted with mine. The freight side of the hobby needed a top class model to compliment the already fantastic locos available, and it is really satisfying that we have that level of model now.

Each of the IRM lad's have added their own individual skills from their professional lives and as a team it works perfectly. Personally as a customer and as a modeller I am delighted and looking forward confidently and expectantly for future releases from IRM. I also hope you guy's take a little and well deserved break before the bubbles arrive as you must be worn out by now.

Rich,

Got mine over the weekend (thanks again very much Rich) and they are amazing wagons. The detail is top tier and the small wagons have a nice weight to them too with the ballast loaded. Well worth the wait and the price without question for anyone still on the fence about these. I'm even more excited to get my hands on the bubbles and the Taras look like they will raise the bar even higher.

My ballast wagons arrived this morning. One word - AMAZING.

Well done to Irish Railway Models.

Just received mine today exactly what one would expect for the price , high end quality product well done to all involved.

We're delighted you're happy with your purchases, guys!

Got mine today and had a good look at them this evening. I know that in the locomotive side of the hobby there are differences in opinion of what is the most important feature, running or accuracy. I always put accuracy first because I expect all current high end loco models to be good runners as a given. This is IRM's first model and their vision was to produce an accurate high end model of an Irish prototype at a reasonable price to the modeller. This wagon has ticked all the boxes and has set the bar to a new higher level.

The quality and finish of the wagon is fantastic in all areas such as the colour the printing, the sometimes delicate ( but exquisite )looking brake and under chassis detail. A huge plus also is the option for the 21mm modeller. IRM have constantly shared images of the CAD and first pre production models, and the very interesting piece on the tooling process was certainly something that you rarely if ever see from a manufacturer. It is also nice to see the areas that were amended from the earliest shot's of the models to the one we have now.

There are always ways for someone to add or change different parts of a model to make it more appealing to them. Apart form weathering, re gauging the wheels, changing couplings, or renumbering it, there aren't any other changes I could see myself doing to it, or that it need's, and not any that would improve it. I am delighted with mine. The freight side of the hobby needed a top class model to compliment the already fantastic locos available, and it is really satisfying that we have that level of model now.

Each of the IRM lad's have added their own individual skills from their professional lives and as a team it works perfectly. Personally as a customer and as a modeller I am delighted and looking forward confidently and expectantly for future releases from IRM. I also hope you guy's take a little and well deserved break before the bubbles arrive as you must be worn out by now.

Rich,

Cheers, Rich! No time to rest, though... we're only getting started! ;)

Good to see the superb IRM Ballast Wagons are also available in Marks Models shops for €119.99

Correct Noel, we announced their availability there back in March http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4992-Irish-Railway-Models-Launch/page56

Glad you're happy with yours! :)

Mine arrived yesterday. They probably exceeded expectations, even though I had very high hopes to begin with. Well done to those involved. For a first time venture, a quality product was delivered, along with a professional and courteous service. =D

I collected mine a couple of weeks ago. They are simply superb! They have set the bar at a new level for RTR freight stock and it will be very interesting to see the reception they get in the modelling press over the coming weeks!Huge congratulations are due to Richie, Fran and all the team for the tremendous work put into this project. The bubbles will be awesome at this rate!

I collected mine a couple of weeks ago. They are simply superb! They have set the bar at a new level for RTR freight stock and it will be very interesting to see the reception they get in the modelling press over the coming weeks!Huge congratulations are due to Richie, Fran and all the team for the tremendous work put into this project. The bubbles will be awesome at this rate!

Thanks for all the overwhelming support guys!

It has been an absolute privilege working with Fran, Pat and Richie on this so far, and the results of the dedication and passion over the last two years, I think, speak for themselves.

We're working away on the Bubble production, getting the Tara lined up and a great deal more exciting projects on the roadmap!

The best is yet to come!

Stephen

Thanks for all the overwhelming support guys!

Proved well deserved in the end.

Just collected IRM Ballast wagons (was away on hols). WOW!

I was expecting and in truth hoping they would be good, but I was astonished!!! They are stunningly exquisite, hyper detailed, beautifully finished, very tastefully packaged, but most of all they are the highest quality RTR model wagons I have ever seen. IRM have indeed raised the bar to such a high level, that other manufacturers such as Bachmann, Fleischmann and Märklin, cannot but fail to notice and be impressed. Well done team IRM - Stephen, Fran, Patrick and Richie. Wishing you continued success with IRM's future plans.

The best is yet to come!

Now I am really looking forward to the cement bubbles, and beyond. Will post up some pics or a vid later in the week.

Well done guys - a class act.

Proved well deserved in the end.

Just collected IRM Ballast wagons (was away on hols). WOW!

I was expecting and in truth hoping they would be good, but I was astonished!!! They are stunningly exquisite, hyper detailed, beautifully finished, very tastefully packaged, but most of all they are the highest quality RTR model wagons I have ever seen. IRM have indeed raised the bar to such a high level, that other manufacturers such as Bachmann, Fleischmann and Märklin, cannot but fail to notice and be impressed. Well done team IRM - Stephen, Fran, Patrick and Richie. Wishing you continued success with IRM's future plans.

very well put Noel, I think this sums it up perfectly .

A huge thank you to the IRM team - Stephen, Fran, Patrick, Richie and their helpers. The ballast wagon is a superb model indeed and I'll have to summon up alot of courage to weather them down.

Would someone remind me of the usual number in a rake along with the two ballast brakes topping and tailing? I might have to purchase some more sets and renumber them.

The Bubbles and the Taras to come - what's next?

A huge thank you to the IRM team - Stephen, Fran, Patrick, Richie and their helpers. The ballast wagon is a superb model indeed and I'll have to summon up alot of courage to weather them down.

Would someone remind me of the usual number in a rake along with the two ballast brakes topping and tailing? I might have to purchase some more sets and renumber them.

The Bubbles and the Taras to come - what's next?

You're more than welcome! It's been a mad few weeks, even if our Logistics Manager had to go to creche for a few afternoons a week :P They look much better for the weathering, am working up a few currently.

Ideal rake (based on photos) appears to be 15 then topped and tailed by the Ploughs.

As for what's next....... Richie

Happy Friday everyone! We are dispatching another lot of ballast wagons to customers today and the stock pile is growing ever smaller. Here is some pictures of ballasts on another great layout. Note the use of instanter couplers!

Keep an eye on our Facebook page and forum for news of an exciting event which we will be announcing shortly!

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Edited by Warbonnet

Should the round yellow hand wheels all be on the same side

or does it not matter?

It depends, in later years they were all nearly turned to be on the same side. Ideally half rake one side and half the other for even distribution of ballast.

Pack A available once again!

tara junction.jpg

We have been working tirelessly to dispatch pre-orders to our customers over the past couple of weeks, a herculean task in itself! There are still a limited number of packs B and C left to order with us.

We also have freed up a limited amount of pack A thanks to swapping out for packs B and C with customers. You can order here: https://irishrailwaymodels.com/product/cie-ir-ie-two-axle-ballast-wagon-multi-pack/

Stock is running low so make sure you secure your order with us asap!

Thanks to Noel Enright for letting us use one of his pictures of the ballasts on his wonderful Tara Junction layout!

Edited by Warbonnet

Received mine yesterday ( Monday ) and only got a chance to unpack them to day

Like Dave Jones says on his EEVblog , " dont turn it on , take it apart ". So It did , to say Im impressed is an understatement, Id love to see the chassis without the hopper offered as an separate option, its a fantastic model.

can I say thanks to the IRM team for setting the bar so high , scratch builders have a up their game now !

to rephrase this comment ( elsewhere )""Throw out the buzzwords 'prototypical scale model' and remember that these are toy trains. So play with them.", This is certainly not the case here

well done