Irish Railway Models Ballast Wagon

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Received mine yesterday ( Monday ) and only got a chance to unpack them to day

Like Dave Jones says on his EEVblog , " dont turn it on , take it apart ". So It did , to say Im impressed is an understatement, Id love to see the chassis without the hopper offered as an separate option, its a fantastic model.

A different Dave Jones to the one once involved in the very early days of the project, I believe?

can I say thanks to the IRM team for setting the bar so high , scratch builders have a up their game now !

to rephrase this comment ( elsewhere )""Throw out the buzzwords 'prototypical scale model' and remember that these are toy trains. So play with them.", This is certainly not the case here

well done

Many thanks for your kind words Dave and your custom. We're delighted that you're happy with them! :)

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1549.jpg

THE REVIEWS ARE IN!!!!

The first review of our Ballast wagon has arrived in the form of the June 2017 edition of Rail Express magazine. We won't give too much away but we think that the two page spread makes for a great read! Make sure you pick up your copy as it has plenty of Irish content too!

We still have some wagon packs left but they're shifting fast. Make sure you don't miss out and place your order on http://www.irishrailwaymodels.com today!

Edited by Warbonnet

Thanks lads. I've given up a bit on Model Rail, same old same old after 10 years. You can only read so often about applying decals and adding etched components. It used to have a lot more kitbashing articles in the past.

Good to see something new to try.

Thanks lads. I've given up a bit on Model Rail, same old same old after 10 years. You can only read so often about applying decals and adding etched components. It used to have a lot more kitbashing articles in the past.

Good to see something new to try.

Glad to hear of the review coverage. Not being negative, its just a bit like Des, I no longer read paper media nor buy magazines. Be sure to let us know in due course when online reviews become available. Having been blown away by the quality of the Ballast wagons, which has fuelled anticipation, one can't help wondering when you expect the Cement Bubbles may ship?

Glad to hear of the review coverage. Not being negative, its just a bit like Des, I no longer read paper media nor buy magazines. Be sure to let us know in due course when online reviews become available. Having been blown away by the quality of the Ballast wagons, which has fuelled anticipation, one can't help wondering when you expect the Cement Bubbles may ship?

Cheers Noel, you can buy pretty much all the Brit mags as digital editions, certainly Rail Express. We will have reviews in all the major magazines including BRM, Model Rail, Railway Modeller and Hornby Magazine in the coming weeks.

As for the bubbles, we're still on course for the end of August. :)

Cheers Noel, you can buy pretty much all the Brit mags as digital editions, certainly Rail Express. We will have reviews in all the major magazines including BRM, Model Rail, Railway Modeller and Hornby Magazine in the coming weeks.

As for the bubbles, we're still on course for the end of August. :)

Thanks. Ok, if any of those mags sell once off 'digital' editions please let us know. Cancelled my mag subscriptions years ago and stopped buying retail (mags on aviation, photography, electronics, model rail, mac, linux, yachting, AV, etc) when I realised I wasn't reading them much, lack of original interesting content, and were taking up too much space on the coffee table. I did enjoy reading 'railway modeller' in years gone bye, and have a crate full of them in the basement. Autumn will be exciting with IRMs Cement Bubbles and Murphy Models 121 hitting the rails. :)

PS: Btw not being pedantic, but are recent posts on this thread not now 'Breaking news from IRM in Dublin' :) :)

Edited by Noel
typo

Thanks. Ok, if any of those mags sell once off 'digital' editions please let us know

They all do - just install the App on your device (search the store for the publication name) and you can buy Digital single editions and browse through back copies.

SDMRC Pres resized.jpg

We were delighted to get a guided tour of the South Dublin Model Railway Club rooms last night before presenting them with a pack of our ballast wagons as a special thank you for the massive help the club gave us when we first started.

It was a thrill to see special layouts such as Adavoyle and Belturbet once again. If you're looking to get involved, pop over to their website http://www.sdmrc.hobbysites.net/viewpage.php?page_id=1 or head to their clubrooms for a very warm and receptive welcome.

Pictured (L-R) Tony O'Dunlaing (SDMRC), Patrick Conboy (Director, Irish Railway Models), Paul Daly (Secretary, SDMRC) and Dougal McFarlane (SDMRC)

Edited by Warbonnet

• 4 weeks later...

We will be in beautiful Wales this weekend at two great toy fairs with ballast wagons for sale!

We'll be in OSWESTRY on Saturday 1st July and COLWYN BAY on Sunday 2nd. The Pavilion at Oswestry show ground and the Leisure Centre at Colwyn Bay - both run 10.30am to 3.00pm.

If you're in the area we'd love to meet you, so stop by and say hi! :)

Edited by Warbonnet

• 4 weeks later...
Any chance in due course IRM may be able to publish PDFs of reviews, obviously with the publishers permission? Murphy Models have PDF reviews available on their web site?

What kind of a request is that. Wastes resources and there are more important things to worry about. Support the magazines by buying them

Any chance in due course IRM may be able to publish PDFs of reviews, obviously with the publishers permission? Murphy Models have PDF reviews available on their web site?

I think we would have to leave it for a sustained period of time before we can offer such downloads Noel. I think one thing we need to do to keep the hobby vibrant is to support the magazines as much as possible. They deserve and need our support. :)

I think we would have to leave it for a sustained period of time before we can offer such downloads Noel. I think one thing we need to do to keep the hobby vibrant is to support the magazines as much as possible. They deserve and need our support. :)

Hi Fran.

Sure understand, that's what I meant by 'in due course', or as Sir Humphrey might have better put it 'in the fullness of time'. :)

Noel

PS: I stopped buying mags of all types some years ago when I realised they were just taking up 'coffee table' space and I wasn't getting much useful from them anymore, also there were too many unlike the old days when there was only RM. Forums like this are much more useful and informative. There was an interesting discussion over on RM some time ago where the success of model forums was identified as one of the factors in declining UK club memberships.

What kind of a request is that. Wastes resources and there are more important things to worry about. Support the magazines by buying them

I don't understand this response. It doesn't do anything for the reputation of this site. It certainly wouldn't do any harm to have the reviews on the IRM website I would have thought. I get my New Irish Lines electronically as it serves me better in e-form and keeps their costs down :)

• 2 weeks later...

That's correct Ray.

The ballast wagons come in 3 sets of 3, the bubble in 4 sets of 3.

The logic, if anyone's interested, was that when you top and tail a rake of ballasts with plough vans, and add an 071, you'll probably be at the maximum acceptable rake length on the average layout. However, with the cement bubbles not suffering the same requirement (except those that want to run them unfitted with a brake van), a reasonable sized home layout can take a loco and 12 bubbles comfortably.

Whatsmore, those than can go to a prototypical rake of double headed 121's and 24 wagons, can have enough variety in running numbers and logos, such that it doesn't look all "samey".

Richie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pack B of the ballast wagon is now sold out at IRM Towers. Thanks for all the orders!

I know it’s cement bubble fever at the moment, but we are down to the bare bones of packs A and C of the ballast hoppers. So if you’re on the fence, it might be time to take the plunge before it’s too late. 🙂 www.irishrailwaymodels.com/shop

Sales from them go to fund one of three (possibly four) exciting all new projects next year... 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

5a57a9a6cfce3_PackBballast.thumb.jpg.258951fd5987e2092cd88f5f00adb10c.jpg

Hey everyone,

I was doing a bit of a tidy around IRM Towers and found a couple of pack B ballast wagons so have stuck them up on the site for sale on a first come, first served basis. These are the very last we have of them so don't miss out before they become impossible to find! https://irishrailwaymodels.com/shop/freight-stock/cieirie-two-axle-ballast-wagon-multi-pack-2/

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5aa696e7bf5b6_image1(2).thumb.jpeg.5b096787a0800acb9efdc299a8ad5e24.jpeg

Hey everyone,

Just a heads up to say that we are now completely sold out of ballast wagons. I just wrapped up the last pack for dispatch for its new home. Thank you to everyone who supported us with purchases!

The bubble pile is getting smaller too with about 80% of them sold out. Hope you didn't miss out!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 8