scahalane's Workbench

Rate this topic

scahalane

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the workbench. Some very slow progress on roofing the Cork shed. The roof corrugated effect was done by pressing layers of glued tin foil using a plastic card template. This work is extremely tedious so to alleviate the boredom I have started modeling the girder bridge on the eastern approach to Cork station.

metalroofprogressfeb13_zpsb563dd20.jpg

girderbridge1_zps00f75273.jpg

girderbridge2_zpsedec0f3d.jpg

girderbridge3_zps9de49acf.jpg

brideedit2_zps91208914.jpg

bride1_zps591b01b3.jpg

Hope you like.

A nice glass of wine to celebrate getting the lights on my a class to finally work. Big thanks to Ger711 for helping out here. I've included the diagram he drew for me so I hope it can help someone else.

CIRCUIT_zps0aa11e5d.png

aclasslights1_zps573d415f.jpg

aclasslights2_zps0e1ed027.jpg

Never mind the lighting, I'm loving the roof panel lifting hoops!

Seriously, that wiring is just perfect for an analogue layout.

The 001 and the shed roof are magnificent. This is going to be one hell of a layout.

Any chance of a pic of your roof press tool? There've been a few accounts of using foil for corrugated roofs on here, and I'm hoping to use the technique on my GSWR convertibles. Would I be able to curve it to shape after laminating and pressing the corrugations in? Or would I be able to corrugate it after curving it?

Alan

Any chance of a pic of your roof press tool? There've been a few accounts of using foil for corrugated roofs on here, and I'm hoping to use the technique on my GSWR convertibles. Would I be able to curve it to shape after laminating and pressing the corrugations in? Or would I be able to corrugate it after curving it?

Alan

I don't think it would be a good approach for doing a wagon as all the handling would probably put the foil out of shape.

But I'll stick up a tutorial and a few photo's in the next day or so on it.

Might have said this before but... truely great work on the A Class. Silver Foxes' simple model lifted to a much higher level. Thanks for the inspiration, have picked up an 'A-class' kit to have a go myself sometime in future.

Also, yet more stunning work on Cork Yard/Kent station with your work on the girder bridge. Only took a spin over the prototype the other day. What's your plans?? Are you modelling Cork Yard/Kent station as a stand alone/shunting type layout or is it going to be part or a larger 'looped' layout?

Anyway, keep the pictures coming. Quality stuff as always :tumbsup:

Tom

Might have said this before but... truely great work on the A Class. Silver Foxes' simple model lifted to a much higher level. Thanks for the inspiration, have picked up an 'A-class' kit to have a go myself sometime in future.

Also, yet more stunning work on Cork Yard/Kent station with your work on the girder bridge. Only took a spin over the prototype the other day. What's your plans?? Are you modelling Cork Yard/Kent station as a stand alone/shunting type layout or is it going to be part or a larger 'looped' layout?

Anyway, keep the pictures coming. Quality stuff as always :tumbsup:

Tom

Cheers Tom, the plan is to model the Cork yard and main station condensed and in two halves to form a loop. I have an attic space 5.5m X 4m and I'm planning to build the yard with shed and cement works on one side and the main station on the other. I've been playing about with some rough track plans but nothing fully worked out yet. At the moment I'm concentrating on building the various structures for the layout. I've insulated the attic and the next step is to build the base boards.

... the plan is to model the Cork yard and main station condensed and in two halves to form a loop. I have an attic space 5.5m X 4m and I'm planning to build the yard with shed and cement works on one side and the main station on the other....

I was measuring it on Google Earth a while back, and reckoned 6m x 2.5 would take you from the tunnel mouth to half way through the shed, so you should be able to do it without too much compression. Would love to see the track plan when you finalise it. If you used the Cobh platforms to represent the other end of the line (can't remember where it goes to at the moment), you could send trains to yourself.

Alan

I'd love to know what you did in a past life Sca to justify all that rivetting! Seriously though, its Wonderful stuff and a fine example of patience and effort paying off. i used foil for my rivet plates on the viaduct,(several thousand) but this is another levl altogether.

Scahalane, thanks for your comments on 850 but your bridge is brilliant; doing all that riveting may have driven you to the drink but its hot thirsty work so fill that glass!!

I was at Cork Glanmire Rd station last September and thought what a good model it would make. So please keep posting so we can enjoy. Mike